Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Status tracking in This is Not a Test (or other games) - how do you do it?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Woot

• Student
Something I noticed even before I played my first game of TiNaT is the amount of state tracking one has to do.  Simple stuff, like jam tokens or uses of limited use weapons, can just be notes on the warband sheet or a die placed next to the mini, but how do other folks track activation and VP events?

I've been using a plain spiral bound notebook where I draw a grid for each mini by 8 columns (or however many turns the game is expected to run) and use that to track who has & hasn't activated.  Initially I wrote down everything that happened was wasn't a move, but eventually pared that down so I'm mostly only recording shots that potentially hit, so we can revisit them when control goes to a different player, melee wounds, and VP actions. 

Is that the best way, or is there some better way I'm not familiar with?

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: Status tracking in This is Not a Test (or other games) - how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »
I've been thinking about this as I've played a few small demo games but haven't really gotten my TNT stuff rolling yet.  I think I'm going to make some "activated" markers - either a pile of shell casings or a small base with footsteps on it.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
We use 1” round pre-printed markers which have keywords to represent status:

Activated, Hit, Wound, Jam, Ammo, etc.

Think they’re out on the ‘net somewhere - maybe the TNT FB page?

We bought a bunch of clear round acrylic discs with adhesive back, used a 1” diameter paper punch, and went to town on peeling and sticking. Very lightweight, durable, and can be tossed about without damaging figs or terrain.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:39:38 AM by pacarat »

Offline Woot

• Student
Looks like you may be right; there's a reference to them being available via a Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/905688146148353/

But since I'm not a Facebook user and have no wish to be, I have no access. 

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
I also have this problem.

The "This is not a Test" and "Reality´s Edge" groups apparently are very active and THE place to go for the games but I absolutely will not join Facebook just for these groups.

I wish they were open for public viewing but as they are not I usually ask friends about the stuff they find and discuss in the group.
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
Anyone wanting a pdf of the markers PM your email address...

Gabbi

While I don't like my table to be cluttered with tokens (that is my major aesthetic complain with games such as Malifaux or Warmachine) I think they're a better option than writing down stuff. If the game settings is even lightly tied with them thematically, I use small 'brass' gears as activation counters. I got them online, they're commonly sold as "caharms" for bracelets and the like. Otherwise I use small glass beads.

As for more status/condition specific tokens, there are many collections in pdf form available online. You have to just print, glue on some cardstock and cut them.
https://rocketshipgames.com/accessories/killteam-tokens/
https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/09/05/catpainas-free-gaming-tokens-tutorial/
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/190558/Counters-for-tabletop-miniatures

I've found none specifically for TNT, but hopefully most of them are generic enough to be used across multiple games.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:59:24 AM by Gabbi »

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Anyone wanting a pdf of the markers PM your email address...

Many thanks for the offer but I have already assembled some status markers from bits and stuff from other games. But thanks anyway!

Offline Woot

• Student
Played a game this weekend using those tokens, along with some glass beads I had as activation tokens.  It was fantastically better than constantly scribbling in a notebook.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
Played a game this weekend using those tokens, along with some glass beads I had as activation tokens.  It was fantastically better than constantly scribbling in a notebook.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Cool. Glad they worked out for you...