Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Raglan's Chechen War  (Read 28656 times)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: Raglan's Chechen War
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
Caprum has sniped at me on several of my threads (not just this one), as a result, I think my response was both appropriate and proportionate.

My comments on this forum are always positive about other people's work. I would never dream of publicly criticising someone's else hobby. If I don't like something, then I would rather not comment. It's a simple but courteous tactic, but one which reduces the risk of me offending any of the good people on this forum. Maybe our Russian friend would do well to adopt a similar approach.

Gareth

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
I am curious about scenarios for this conflict. Are you using some reference work to create or recreate scenarios or just winging it? If winging it are you intimately familiar with the conflict or just using scenarios of a generic nature?

All I have done to date buddy, is use snippets of information taken from news coverage and then tried to weave it into a playable wargame scenario, I am certainly not trying to portray a 100% "accurate" recreation of an engagement.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »
All I have done to date buddy, is use snippets of information taken from news coverage and then tried to weave it into a playable wargame scenario, I am certainly not trying to portray a 100% "accurate" recreation of an engagement.

Sorry for my ignorance. Since getting back into gaming a few years ago I have found new interests such as the Soviet Afghan war. I assume Chechnya is similar in being an asymmetric war but I don't know if the rebels had the support of the population like the Mujahideen did, and the associated abilities. Or if not how that might be reflected in game terms. Also it appears from the images I have seen (not done any reading yet) the "wolves" had more access to Russian heavy equipment. Was this very rare, for propaganda purposes almost exclusively, or did they have access to captured equipment or did forces previously belonging to the Russians turn and bring amounts of equipment with them? Were these employed piecemeal or in strength?

These are the kinds of questions I have which would shape the scenarios created. Thank you for your reply.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
You might be overthinking it mate, wargame scenarios just need to be fun for both players and carry a flavour for the conflict you are fighting, IMHO the fine details of history don't really matter when playing a toy soldier game.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »
You might be overthinking it mate, wargame scenarios just need to be fun for both players and carry a flavour for the conflict you are fighting, IMHO the fine details of history don't really matter when playing a toy soldier game.

Oh I agree but let's face it certain types of scenarios would be completely out of line without some knowledge of the conflict. For example you won't see large scale tank duels, unless I totally don't know this war. Thank you for your replies.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
For example you won't see large scale tank duels, unless I totally don't know this war. Thank you for your replies.

The Chechens did have limited access to tanks (there is an orbat on the web), so in a Bolt Action skirmish level game, a small armoured engagement is not out of place.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:46:15 PM by Lord Raglan »

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2019, 06:04:07 PM »
@madman - try "Fangs of thhe lone wolf". It's an examination of the conflict(s) through a number of actions

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »
@madman - try "Fangs of thhe lone wolf". It's an examination of the conflict(s) through a number of actions

Thank you!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2019, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »
Lone wolf and some other good papers here https://community.apan.org/wg/tradoc-g2/fmso/m/fmso-books/195587

Thank you. Your link went straight to lone wolf and I wondered how to find anything else. Then saw the search box above.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »
Islamic Mujahideen Fighters led by Warlord Shamil Basayev.

These blokes were reasonably trained and well funded units, who played an important part in the War of Dagestan

Ran out matt varnish today, hence the bloody shine  :-[

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 02:10:28 AM »
More great looking figures.
Well done, my Lord. :D
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 09:40:40 AM »
Lovely work again, very imposing and threatening, the van makes me think for some unknown reason of the film Four Lions, and i can see them driving around Chechnya singing Dancing in the Moonlight  lol

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »
Cheers guys!!!

Yes the Four Lions reference crossed my mind whilst putting together this unit.

Hassan: "I'm accidentally a suicide bomber"

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »
Russian ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" on deployment in Chechnya (1/48 scale model from HLBSC)

I have used AK Interactive heavy mud product on this model, plus some AK engine oil to add a bit more weathering