Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1917 Film  (Read 11590 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: 1917 Film
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
Just saw it. Loved it.

It’s full of implausible things - you could argue that the whole central premise is basically flawed. Given that the nature of the Western Front was that the front lines were essentially continuous and unbroken, without gaps the enemy could exploit (which was the whole reason for almost 5 years of stalemate slaughter) why would you have to send two runners FORWARD across No Man’s Land and through the abandoned German lines in order to reach another British Division? Because they’re not going to be on their own, ten miles out in front of the rest of your lines. Why wouldn’t you just go along the line? Makes no sense at all.
And then there are several other lesser points at which you go ‘well that doesn’t make any sense’ and a few nerdy military history buff moments where you go ‘well that’s not right’.

But none of that really matters, because it doesn’t really detract too much from the movie once you let your suspension of disbelief kick in.
Despite some hyper realistic depictions of the horrors of No Man’s Land and the trenches, it’s not really a realistic film. Rather like Apocalypse Now, it’s got that kind of nightmarish, unreal flavour. It’s a kind of visual fugue on the theme of the horrors of the Great War, rather than a realistic depiction.

It’s gripping, moving, well acted, and full of stunning, jaw-dropping cinematography and incredible visuals. I’d highly recommend watching it.

TBH the whole ‘it’s all shot in one take’ thing, wasn’t all that noticeable to me, or that significant. Although I guess it does give it that immediacy and the immersive, up close and personal feel.

Seen it. Liked it. A lot. I view it more as an art film than a action or traditional war film.

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 03:39:46 PM »
Well described. 👍

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
My wife & I saw it last night. We both liked it, nuf said.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
Watched the film today.

The first half i enjoyed. From the town onwards I felt it went downhill. I felt the ending was silly...

As for the singing, I agree The choice of song was wrong, plus what officer would allow that many of his soldiers to bunch up that much, that close to the front???

The hero was a millennial, However his sidekick seemed a lot more "of his time". I ended up hoping the hero would get killed....

I can understand why they added a lot (relatively speaking) of coloured soldiers, but it did grate on me a bit...it's the historical nerd in me.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »
Watched the film today.

The first half i enjoyed. From the town onwards I felt it went downhill. I felt the ending was silly...

As for the singing, I agree The choice of song was wrong, plus what officer would allow that many of his soldiers to bunch up that much, that close to the front???

The hero was a millennial, However his sidekick seemed a lot more "of his time". I ended up hoping the hero would get killed....

I can understand why they added a lot (relatively speaking) of coloured soldiers, but it did grate on me a bit...it's the historical nerd in me.

You should have no worries for your inner "historical nerd" after seeing this movie I learned about the contributions of Sikh soldiers in the British army in WWI. Over 100,000 served in France with several earning the VC. As I recall there were only two scenes involving coloured soldiers, in the truck and at the end. I do not recall more than 2 shown which I would think would be well within the historical ratios.

The hero as millennial, that is a good one, I can totally see that comparison.

Online italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:16 AM »
it would be intersting to ask to a sample of young people in the streets or at University  or even a sample  among the mass of ineducated people (90%) ..what happened in 1917?..or even when WW1 began or ended?..or maybe who were the main antagonists?...from their silence, their  guttural answers and from their boiled fish look  you will understand why this moovie could'nt have been done in a  realistic or sophisticated way. :'(..and above all why the "supposed to be hero" is represented as "millenial"  and not as sober, responsible, i would say also elegant true soldier of 1917 similar to the picts of my grandfather in Isonzo Front and the totality of your ancestors in various fronts
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:23:15 AM by italwars »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »
it would be intersting to ask to a sample of young people in the streets or at University  or even a sample  among the mass of ineducated people (90%) ..what happened in 1917?..or even when WW1 began or ended?..or maybe who were the main antagonists?...from their silence, their  guttural answers and from their boiled fish look  you will understand why this moovie could'nt have been done in a  realistic or sophisticated way. :'(..and above all why the "supposed to be hero" is represented as "millenial"  and not as sober, responsible, i would say also elegant true soldier of 1917 similar to the picts of my grandfather in Isonzo Front and the totality of your ancestors in various fronts

Maybe things are different in Italy, but the UK has just been through four years of intensive WWI commemorations. It my experience there is better knowledge of the Great War now than there has been at any other time in my life.

As for haircuts, as far as I saw, those depicted match period photos of British soldiers. Do you have a specific example in mind?

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
Having wargamed WW1 for the last ten years, I have an extensive collection of Osprey books on the period, some of which I have actually read, as well as even (not wishing to brag) the odd book without any pictures. So this obviously makes me a leading authority on the period. Therefore, when I the see the film tonight I shall naturally find it hard not to make known any historical inaccuracies encountered loudly and pompously for the enlightenment of my fellow cinema goers. Should I make it through the whole film without foaming at the mouth and exploding in a fit of apoplexy at any departures from historical truth, you will all have the benefit of my opinion shortly afterwards  lol lol lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »
Having wargamed WW1 for the last ten years, I have an extensive collection of Osprey books on the period, some of which I have actually read, as well as even (not wishing to brag) the odd book without any pictures. So this obviously makes me a leading authority on the period. Therefore, when I the see the film tonight I shall naturally find it hard not to make known any historical inaccuracies encountered loudly and pompously for the enlightenment of my fellow cinema goers. Should I make it through the whole film without foaming at the mouth and exploding in a fit of apoplexy at any departures from historical truth, you will all have the benefit of my opinion shortly afterwards  lol lol lol

The fabled Book Without Pictures?! I shall prostrate myself duly before your wisdom. ;)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2020, 01:10:27 PM »
Someone broke into my personal library & stole all 3 books!
I am fuming, I hadn't finished colouring in the 3rd one!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2020, 03:22:28 PM »

The fabled Book Without Pictures?! I shall prostrate myself duly before your wisdom. ;)

I can't pretend it was easy. However with tenacity and discipline I managed to read a whole page at each sitting, resisting the urge to colour in some of the letters, and got to the end. Quite a feat of scholarship I think you'll agree  lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:59:48 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
Should I make it through the whole film without foaming at the mouth and exploding in a fit of apoplexy at any departures from historical truth, you will all have the benefit of my opinion shortly afterwards  lol lol lol

Well played, sir!

lol lol lol

Online italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »
I think that the only ones that foam at their mouth are those so many ones that do not and cannot belong to a cultural elite

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2020, 11:48:46 PM »
Really enjoyed the film. It seemed quite accurate to me. Just thought it was a shame it hadn’t come out during the 2014 - 2018 commemorations as a timely fitting tribute.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2020, 01:07:40 PM »
I think that the only ones that foam at their mouth are those so many ones that do not and cannot belong to a cultural elite

Thank you for your candour - self-awareness is a rare quality...

lol lol lol