Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1917 Film  (Read 11593 times)

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
Re: 1917 Film
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »
I watched it today. Better than I expected. Well-liked war films always get me worried that it's going to be all gooey.

As it was, without wishing to get too anal about history stuff (Sopwith Camels in April 1917?!?) or spoil things too much, I thought the first and third parts of the film were very strong. The middle third almost killed it, but they managed to bring it back in the end. The moment when everyone goes over the top I found actually quite moving. The feeling of being part of a vast war was very strong. I actually think it's better than Dunkirk - though it shan't unseat Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front.

The weakest part overall, which I found to be a tremendous disappointment, is the portrayal of the Germans. I can't say more due to plot points but let's just say that war films need to realise that in a war like that both sides are actually trying to survive. All Quiet on the Western Front (thinking of the book here because I'm finally reading it) does that brilliantly in a certain scene involving a Frenchman and shellhole.

Recommended from me. :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
I watched it on Saturday night with my wife. We both enjoyed it.

The film is not a conventional war film - it is in many ways more an adventurous journey through a horrific landscape. The detail in the landscapes and set dressing is incredible.

Definitely a film worth seeing on the big screen.

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
We saw it some days back; it is a great movie (imho). I liked it better then eg Dunkirk. Even my wife loved it.

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »
I agree 1917 good as it is not a patch (aesthetically or otherwise) on Paths of Glory, which is a sublime piece of cinema nor does it have the sheer power of All Quiet on the Western Front but then these examples are both vehemently anti war (Paths of Glory was banned in France for a ridiculous amount of time and the USA banned its screening in any military establishment) which leads me to wonder how to we define a “war movie” is it simply a movie which either set in or depicts warfare or are there other considerations?  Just a musing before preparing dinner for the minions

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »
I too loved the film. One forgets the improbabilities and just gets immersed in the story.

Now, for rivet-counting of another sort, one thing that struck me as odd was the song choice during the powerful "hymn scene." The song is called "The Wayfaring Stranger," and gorgeous, haunting it is too, but it's a song from the American South, not Britain. It actually had me thinking they belonged to an American regiment until they started speaking. Not a huge deal - and again, it's a fantastic song - but it felt a little like having a regiment of Yanks sing "God Save the King;" especially when there are so many superb British pieces that would have been equally apropos.

A very minor point, I admit.  ::)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
But a good point  ;)
I assumed it was Irish, which also seemed an unlikely choice for a soldier in the Devons.
But it was rather a beautiful moment nonetheless  :)

Mind you, Swing Low Sweet Chariot is also from the deep south, and yet, and yet... ;)

Online Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
Comparing Wayfaring Stranger to God save the King is a wee bit out there. One is a Sacred Harp hymn sung at Church and the other a National Anthem. But yeah unusual maybe, but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
I watched it today. Better than I expected. Well-liked war films always get me worried that it's going to be all gooey.

As it was, without wishing to get too anal about history stuff (Sopwith Camels in April 1917?!?) or spoil things too much, I thought the first and third parts of the film were very strong. The middle third almost killed it, but they managed to bring it back in the end. The moment when everyone goes over the top I found actually quite moving. The feeling of being part of a vast war was very strong. I actually think it's better than Dunkirk - though it shan't unseat Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front.

The weakest part overall, which I found to be a tremendous disappointment, is the portrayal of the Germans. I can't say more due to plot points but let's just say that war films need to realise that in a war like that both sides are actually trying to survive. All Quiet on the Western Front (thinking of the book here because I'm finally reading it) does that brilliantly in a certain scene involving a Frenchman and shellhole.

Recommended from me. :)

Although the point was to be immersed into the first person view of the 2 messengers, so the portrayal of the "Huns" makes sense from that point of view. A film that does portray the view from both sides well may be "Joyuex Noel".

I too would recommend the movie. The one shot technique works well too immerse the viewer into the actions of the main characters. 

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
Comparing Wayfaring Stranger to God save the King is a wee bit out there.

Oh, I agree. Was just being a little silly there...  :)

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 02:33:41 AM »
Although the point was to be immersed into the first person view of the 2 messengers, so the portrayal of the "Huns" makes sense from that point of view. A film that does portray the view from both sides well may be "Joyuex Noel".

I too would recommend the movie. The one shot technique works well too immerse the viewer into the actions of the main characters.

I'd disagree, each and every one of the beastly Huns ( :P ) did everything in his power to hurt the protagonists - even when badly injured.

For me that sadly goes beyond that bounds of "willing suspension of disbelief" in my book.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57:04 PM »
I'd disagree, each and every one of the beastly Huns ( :P ) did everything in his power to hurt the protagonists - even when badly injured.

For me that sadly goes beyond that bounds of "willing suspension of disbelief" in my book.

Exactly what they were trained to do. Although I agree about the scene you refer to - injuries would have been a bit more disabling I should think. Plot point certainly.

Keep in mind though that Mendes got his stories from his grandfather who fought and would have been subject to the propaganda of the time as well. In the end though very hard for this movie to portray both sides in an evenhanded way given the limited scope of the movie, ie; first person, one shot etc.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it, good story, well told.
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2020, 05:13:16 PM »
It has been a while since I set and viewed a movie that had me tense the whole way through. Loved the film even with its historical flaws (small IMHO) will try to see again and plan on adding it to my Blue Ray collection the moment it comes out.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
i just saw it...quite boring..a lot of action without catghing the very  feeling of the period ..nothing to do with other few excellent moovies on WW1 like the beautiful "Gallipoli" from Peter Weir of 1981..sequences similar to a modern action moovie..characters with a too much modern appearance even their hair cuts are unrealistic...ridicoulous from an historical point of view ..the Germans are depicted in a caricatural way and  treated as  the "bad boys" like a mediocre propaganda comics of that time...despite the truth, as we all know, that the Central Empires were agressed by the Allies all over the world...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:52:40 PM by italwars »

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
Saw the film the other day , I liked it , beautifully filmed and found it tense at times .