Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for glueing teddy bear fur terrain to 2' x 2' MDF  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: Suggestions for glueing teddy bear fur terrain to 2' x 2' MDF
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I wasn't trying to be clever about the comment on Copydex. 

True contact adhesive (some variants also called 'Barge') do not 'wet' the materials they are applied to. Its a neoprene rubber compound that creates a chemical bond between two glued surfaces. It is normally used for large areas of non porous materials such as bonding laminates to kitchen counter tops. But it's also used a lot for glueing foam together by cosplayers because it simply doesn't fail and it instantly bonds difficult materials, but remains flexible!

The rubber compound in a contact adhesive is mixed with a solvent to make it liquid in the tin you buy it in. You apply a thin coat to both surfaces and then let the solvent evaporate for a few minutes, and then introduce the two DRY surfaces to each other where the grab is instant. You get one chance.

Copydex on the other hand is a trade name for a WATER based latex glue. It cures by the water in the glue evaporating. It works by being absorbed into the materials it is bonding.

The upshot of all this is Copydex will warp your mdf boards. Contact cement will not. I have bonded sheets of 3mm hardboard and 2 mm MDF together without ANY distortion. 

With the right glue you really wont need a 9mm board.  (you may want a thick board to support the mass of the items glued to it, but that's a different issue)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 10:59:15 AM »
I wasn't trying to be clever about the comment on Copydex.

I didn't think you were :)

True contact adhesive (some variants also called 'Barge') do not 'wet' the materials they are applied to. Its a neoprene rubber compound that creates a chemical bond between two glued surfaces. It is normally used for large areas of non porous materials such as bonding laminates to kitchen counter tops. But it's also used a lot for glueing foam together by cosplayers because it simply doesn't fail and it instantly bonds difficult materials, but remains flexible!

The rubber compound in a contact adhesive is mixed with a solvent to make it liquid in the tin you buy it in. You apply a thin coat to both surfaces and then let the solvent evaporate for a few minutes, and then introduce the two DRY surfaces to each other where the grab is instant. You get one chance.

Copydex on the other hand is a trade name for a WATER based latex glue. It cures by the water in the glue evaporating. It works by being absorbed into the materials it is bonding.

The upshot of all this is Copydex will warp your mdf boards. Contact cement will not. I have bonded sheets of 3mm hardboard and 2 mm MDF together without ANY distortion. 

With the right glue you really wont need a 9mm board.  (you may want a thick board to support the mass of the items glued to it, but that's a different issue)

Thanks for elucidating that. Appreciated. It's always good to have the info in front of you, so's to speak, to prevent any disasters and disappointments later one.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
Spray adhesive will not warp, and works great. I used it (as I said) on MDF to glue the same teddy bear fur  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
Spray adhesive will not warp, and works great. I used it (as I said) on MDF to glue the same teddy bear fur  ;)

I'll bear that in kind, thanks :)

I would think that it's easier to apply too.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
Copydex is not a contact adhesive.

Yes it is when gluing fabrics:
How to use: On paper, card and wood. Apply to one surface only, press together firmly. On non-porous surfaces (such as plastics, metal, cork), fabrics and carpets apply sparingly and evenly to each surface to be bonded. Allow adhesive to dry until it becomes touch dry (15-20 minutes) then bring firmly together.