Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:21:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)  (Read 15026 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)
« on: October 07, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »
It’s been a looooong time since I was active in the gaming community... But on my birthday, by better half got me Rangers of Shadow Deep, and I’ve been quite taken with it.  I feel creative juices that have been dormant for years bubbling to the surface.

This thread is going to be a documentation of my creative journey as a gamer, and Flewdurr’s epic quest as a Ranger!

Preparations for the first game will probably take the longest, since I have minis to paint and terrain to build...but what is a grand quest without stalwart adventurers!?

I’ve decided to paint up miniatures that have been collecting dust for years.  Honestly, I’m not a fan of most new minis, so this whole project is going to have an “old school” -ish feel to it.

Baldrick (Recruit)
Schmedley (Templar)
Flewdurr (Ranger)
Jane (Barbarian)
Rebecca (Rogue)

BALDRICK

Flewdurr:  Baldrick, wake up!  The king is sending us on a mission!  I’ve got GOLD to hire a party of brave fighters!

Baldrick:  Ow much do I get?

Flewdurr:  You get nothing, knave! Claiming to serve me is enough reward for the likes of you.

Baldrick:  What’s my job then?

Flewdurr:  You have the important role of diversion...if the rest of us need to flee.

SCHMEDLEY

Flewdurr:  It says here “Templar of Irnoch”...very impressive.

Schmedley:  Retired, actually.

Flewdurr:  Retired?

Schmedley:  Yeah, I’m actually an atheist now.

Flewdurr:  !?!?

Schmedley:  Don’t worry, the stat line is the same.  Turns out that chit isn’t divinely granted after all.

JANE

Flewdurr:  So barbarian, you want to join this quest for glory to your god and king!?

Jane:  Yeah...I’ll fight for gold.

Flewdurr:  And what is your name?

Jane:  There are those who called me Jane...of course they are all dead now.

Flewdurr:  Dead?!?

Jane:  You can still call me Jane, it’s not like it’s a bad omen or anything.

REBECCA

Flewdurr:  Um...what are your special skills?

Rebecca:  I’m all dressed in black...whadda you think, Sherlock?

Flewdurr:  You lack fashion sense?

Rebecca:  I’ve got your money pouch and gold ring in my pocket right now.

Flewdurr:  So, a petty thief...I’m not impressed!

Rebecca:  I’ve got your codpiece too.

Flewdurr:  ???....Your Hired!!
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
Brilliant stuff. I was out of the hobby for a good 10 years and just starting painting and playing solo ROSD too. I like the way it can be transposed to your own created world very easy and creatures subbed for others easy too. Good luck with the project!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
Somewhere a harp string snaps!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
Somewhere a harp string snaps!

Heh heh.

Also the name of my first D&D character 39 years ago. :)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »
Hope to get my first game in sometime this weekend if I get everything I’m working on complete.

So...Treasure Tokens and Clue markers.  A crafty project that make me feel like I was back in grade school art class before mother’s day :)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 04:16:49 AM »
That is a great-looking warband!

We just picked up the game.  I have only just started reading the rules.

I am looking forward to following this thread.

-Michael

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
Looking at the required miniatures list for the first scenarios...and since the Walking Dead just started again, we’ll need...ZOMBIES!

These are from Irregular Miniatures pirates section.  I’ve had them collecting dust for ages.  Believe it or not, when I got them, “fantasy” zombies were pretty few and far in between.

Anyway...I like the look of these, and they scratch my old school itch.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 09:59:01 AM »
I recognize some Metal Magic minis ! Great range of figures, and cool project !

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Hmmm... Those question treasure markers are kinda neat. I like that idea, might do something like that too.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
Zombies look great!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
I recognize some Metal Magic minis ! Great range of figures, and cool project !

Yep, all of them.  I have a ton of Josef Ochmann sculpts, he’s one of my favorite sculptors (although I don’t love everything he did).  I got tons of his stuff when Magaminiatures was still in business.  They’ve been sitting unpainted for (Lord, probably about 15+ years now!?!).  Very happy to FINALLY have a worthy use for them, and an “excuse” to finally paint them.

Midlam and Turnkey still have some of the line, but a lot of his sculpts have sort of disappeared.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »

Hmmm... Those question treasure markers are kinda neat. I like that idea, might do something like that too.

Thanks.  I like spending money as much as the next guy...but this is a hobby for me, so I like to be “crafty” whenever I can.  Sure, it’s simple to buy markers, and they might look cooler...but I can say, “look what I made!” When I pull these out.  Ridiculously simple...but still a little sense of pride. :)

Zombies look great!

Thanks, I like them.  My eyesight has gone to hell over the last decade, so I’ve simplified my “style” dramatically.  At first I was kind of “embarrassed” that my miniatures weren’t individual works of art anymore...but now I enjoy the simple charms of table ready miniatures.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Yep, all of them.  I have a ton of Josef Ochmann sculpts, he’s one of my favorite sculptors (although I don’t love everything he did).  I got tons of his stuff when Magaminiatures was still in business.  They’ve been sitting unpainted for (Lord, probably about 15+ years now!?!).  Very happy to FINALLY have a worthy use for them, and an “excuse” to finally paint them.

Midlam and Turnkey still have some of the line, but a lot of his sculpts have sort of disappeared.

I bought a lot of them, a few years ago. I love the style of them. I keep them for my frostgrave project ;)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »
Those markers are great. I mean, you could buy markers, but why spend money on things that you can pretty easily make? Plus, who doesn't want some bespoke markers? lol

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »
Ah, Flewdurr, one of my favourite characters in literature. And as Rangers is a new passion, I think I'm going to like this thread!  :)

Your minis are looking great, and I love that you are "crafting" some of your tokens - they are very appealing! I couldn't agree more with how flexible RoSD is: personally, while I quite like the fluff (which is a rare thing for me with games), I am working on shifting the whole thing to Conan and Hyboria. The rules will need a little tweaking - heroes will be buffed-up and will have only 1-2 companions, with probably larger numbers of minion types (skeletons, etc.) to face them - but so far things are going very, very well. I've had some cracking games!

Really looking forward to following your progress...