Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)  (Read 14746 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »
great batrep !

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »
great batrep !

Thanks...have to share the experience or, well, it’s only me that will know it ever happened, ha ha.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »
Yes, that was a great read! Sounds like a real nail-biter.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »
Played my second game today.  Decided to move my AARs and progress pictures to the RoSD Facebook page.  Lots more traffic and interest there.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
I'm loving the nesting trees and the cocoons.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2019, 12:33:24 AM »
Here’s the basic report of the second scenario...

The Infected Trees!

I’ll try not to bore you with a turn by turn report...but my second game went a lot better for Flewdurr (Ranger), Jane (Barbarian), Schmedly (Templar), Rebecca (Rogue), and Baldrick (Recruit), than the first (where all but 1 companion died).

Our heroes entered the wood fully prepared to slay spiders. 

Flewdurr was hot today, rolling 2 crits, and felling many spiders from a distance with his bow.  Even when encased in a web of sticky ropes, he quickly broke free.

Jane was a pyro, slaying spiders in a mess of gore and ichor all the while torching 3 of the 4 nesting trees.

Rebecca dashed about, opening cocoons, but only finding walking dead and corpses.  Her luck failed her today, as her neck was torn open by a zombie, and she fell in a pool of her own blood.  The only survivor last scenario, she was the only casualty this one.

Schmedly fought valiantly, but was injected with venom in his first encounter with the chittering arachnids, and was moving slow, panting and gasping for breath the whole time.  He did manage to make it across the table and torch one nesting tree.

Poor Baldrick wanted to be the hero, opening cocoons, only to find terrifying zombies.  While his friends ran about doing heroic deeds and ignoring him, he was screaming like a girl and fighting for his life.  So how he managed to kill 2 zombies today slashing about madly with his eyes closed.

By turn 7, all the trees were ablaze and all the cocoons opened (mad I didn’t get to use any of the survivor miniatures I painted up), so the hero’s (carrying Rebecca) headed for the edge of the gloomy wood.  All but Flewdurr and Schmedly made it out before Schmedly noticed ANOTHER nesting tree...with treasure under it!!

Flewdurr an Schmedly made a mad dash for the treasure, but the sun went down fast and when all they could see were glowing pinprick eyes in the dark...they decided to get the heck out of there!

A successful mission!  Flewdurr advances to level 1, and now all the companions have 1 progression point. :)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2019, 07:10:10 AM »
Oh dear...with one nesting tree unburnt the spiders will be back :D

Another great report.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
Got all my miniatures painted up for Mission 2:  The Beacon Tower...now I have a ton of terrain to build.

First off, Schmedly decided to nurse his wounds from the last mission, while Baldrick decide to nurse an ale!  Fortunately the twin Berry brothers (Leather Berry and Dingle Berry) two archers and scouts were available for this mission, as well as their hound, Sir George.

Not crazy about the Reaper bones flesh golem...but couldn’t find an “old school” one I liked.  Took some liberties with the “skull faced” Shadow knight, am proxying my hawk for the vulture...and a 100 years war Man-at-Arms (will be painting these for “generic” soldiers).

Finally, while, ironically, I DO have a bunch of Gnoll miniatures I could use, I REALLY wanted to paint these goblins, with hobgoblins for sergeants...it’s my game, I’ll do what I want ! :)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
I have found purposefully designed solo games to be quite satisfying. Way more than trying to play a multi-player game solo and take on all the roles. Assuming one can let the dice be the dice, the variety and outcomes are often quite interesting and rarely make for a truly decisive victory.

Great battle report, and I look forward to more!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »
Really don’t like the way that reaper flesh golem doesn’t “blend in” with the old school vibe.  So, I went back online and just couldn’t find a flesh golem I liked.

Then I recalled I had a Heroclix of Solomon Grundy that MIGHT fit the bill with a few modifications.

I like this much better.

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
That turned out great, nice job.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 01:48:33 PM »
Yep, old Solomon will have a good new life as a flesh golem! The boots really seal the deal for me. lol

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
Yep, old Solomon will have a good new life as a flesh golem! The boots really seal the deal for me. lol

I actually shaved off the shoelaces...but somehow you can still see them.

Now we know what Li’l Abner would look like as a zombie.  ;)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Busy week, but I did manage to get all the terrain done for my 3rd game in my “spare time”.

It’s amazing how much stuff you have to build for a single game when starting from scratch!

I used to have scads of terrain in my WFB (3rd-6th Ed) days, but all of it is spread out among 2 game stores and several friends houses...all many miles away (don’t even know if it all still exists).

Oh well...for me it’s primarily about the entire hobby anyway 🙂.  The more crafting I get to do, the more fun I’m having, and the more value I get out of the game.  It’s always cool to see something that sort of looks like what you want form out of bits and pieces of crap you find in the garage, woods, or laying around the house.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »
Wow, you have been productive! Looking good; I really like the fire. 8)

I know what you mean mate. I do like the look of this game and would love to spend a year going through the scenarios and building everything from scratch and painting up new minis...saldy I lack the time, the storage space and the funds  :'( I will have to live through plogs like this instead  lol