Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)  (Read 14757 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
I like your DIY furniture, it looks more appropriate than a lot of the modern plastic stuff. It's got an old-style Heroquest vibe that I really like.

Thanks for putting up such a nice mix of story, battle report and photos too, it makes these boards worthwhile!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2019, 08:25:26 PM »
The Broken Stairs...not the cakewalk I thought!

As our hero’s descended the twisted and cracked stairway, they made quick and uneventful progress.  The few giant flies that attempted to waylay them were quickly dispatched with well placed arrows or sword hacks.

Flewdurr and Jane both made it to the bottom of the stair first.  Jane was unscathed , but Flewdurr had an embarrassing stumble near the bottom that bruised his ego more than his body.

Schmedly was even more unlucky than usual (perhaps an atheist Templar IS a bane after all).  First he inhaled some toxic fumes belched up from the swamps below, and he fell behind.  Then he found a putrid corpse to examine, then he was poisoned by a fly bite, finally to slip and fall to his “death” at the bottom of the chasm.  He should really start praying again!

Baldrick was ordered to grab the treasure, and against her better judgement Rebecca backtracked to help him in case he was attacked by giant flies.  Unfortunately, shortly after securing the treasure, they heard a rumbling...and both were crushed in an avalanche, and the treasure was buried under tons of debris.

What started as a walk in the park ended with only two survivors.  Time to nurse our wounds before the next scenario.

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2019, 08:40:38 PM »
I like your DIY furniture, it looks more appropriate than a lot of the modern plastic stuff. It's got an old-style Heroquest vibe that I really like.

Thanks for putting up such a nice mix of story, battle report and photos too, it makes these boards worthwhile!

Yeah, I liked it a lot better...felt if fit in better with the other stuff I built, plus I got more satisfaction out of it.

Ironically, I built it all in a “day”, which was less time than I spent “waiting” for the stuff I didn’t use to arrive on the mail.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
Good effort for a day. I imagine it probably takes paint better too?

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2019, 08:51:56 PM »
Good effort for a day. I imagine it probably takes paint better too?

Well, it’s mostly carved styrofoam, so I can’t prime or seal it...so that saves time :). That and I like making my terrain look “sloppy” and unrefined.  Not sure why, I just like it that way...and the bonus is it’s faster too.

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2019, 09:44:23 PM »
Cool setup! I might have to steal that at some point.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
Cool setup! I might have to steal that at some point.

I prefer to think your “inspired”.  There is no theft in this hobby :)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
This came in the mail today...so I’m just not even going to crack it open until I’ve played ALL the Rangers scenarios.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2019, 01:54:21 AM »
If I understand correctly, you're making all this terrain as needed per each upcoming scenario? if so....wow! hopefully, you'll be able to re-use a lot of it.

What are your thoughts on solo-gaming with this system on the whole now that you're several adventures in? And is that Frostgrave book more solo gaming?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2019, 06:18:28 AM »
:D Doh! I thought that last scenario sounded like it was going too well at the start there...I hope they have more luck in the swamp.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
If I understand correctly, you're making all this terrain as needed per each upcoming scenario? if so....wow! hopefully, you'll be able to re-use a lot of it.

What are your thoughts on solo-gaming with this system on the whole now that you're several adventures in? And is that Frostgrave book more solo gaming?

Yes I am making it as needed..painting miniatures as needed as well (fortunately I have a huge neglected collection).  Part of the reason it isn’t as “realistic” looking as it could be is that I’m making everything with storage in mind.  Everything breaks down, is primarily styrofoam, and doesn’t have delicate pieces...so I’m throwing it all in 3 plastic bins (the buildings are currently on a shelf until I get another bin).

I’m actually enjoying it.  A lot of people seem to be in a big hurry to get to the table with whatever they have, but for me it’s about the HOBBY primarily, and the GAME secondary.

I’m really enjoying the solo games, and I think the system is very good at it.  It’s not so harsh that you constantly feel beaten down and want to cheat, but it’s challenging (and random) enough that you never know what might happen.

Of course, the mechanic that really gives it traction is the (simple) monster activation sequence.  The game designer in me can’t help but think this would work well with ANY game system.  After this grand undertaking is open, I plan to try using it with my Heroquest board game and a couple old school Basic D&D scenarios.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
:D Doh! I thought that last scenario sounded like it was going too well at the start there...I hope they have more luck in the swamp.

Yeah, I was pretty much 3/4 of the way down the stairs and I’m like, “I built all this terrain for this!?!”...and then things got super fun.  Still, I think a bigger “swarm” of flies on the table at the start would have made it a bit more challenging/tense.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
SWAMPLAND...kinda disappointing 😞

Our heroes came to the bottom of the broken stair fo find a putrid pool of deep water surrounded by a swampland.  Soft moans on the wind foreshadowed the horrors within.

Not only did Jane and Schmedley cough and gag on the foul air, but they nearly drown in the stinking water...but thankfully made it to the waters shore not too worse for the wear.

Flewdurr and Baldrick swam more gracefully to shore, and Flewduff even managed to fell a rotting zombie with a well placed arrow shaft as he emerged.

Meanwhile, Rebecca simply walked across the water, thanks to her miraculous boots and secured a pouch full of gold coins before being attacked by a zombie she quickly dispatched without suffering a scratch.  Another of the walking dead rose from the depths of the swamp, but now Jane was close by and another decapitated corpse was added to the bog.

After that it was a race...or rather, a slogging, squishy, slow march through the swamp.  Although a few flies pursued them from the stair, and another zombie appeared from the dark waters, our heroes all handily escaped with thier lives, fairly unscathed.

Commentary...I admit, I’m a little disappointed that this adventure was so easy, and quickly over (6 fast turns).  It took me a while to figure out how to put together the table and build the terrain...so once it all came together, I was ready for a dramatic quest...oh well, still fun, just not dramatic or memorable.  Who would think that everything going “right” would make for a “bad” session, ha ha.

Several people on Facebook have suggested trying it in “hard mode”, and another made the interesting suggestion of playing all the adventures in reverse order when done (the journey back to town).

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »
Be careful what you wish for...in the next mission the dice gods may turn against you :D

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
Be careful what you wish for...in the next mission the dice gods may turn against you :D

Ha ha, probably.  The next scenario (The Last Stand), is  apparently a  beast.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:03:02 PM by grubman »