Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689758
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative scenery for German Revolution 1919  (Read 1585 times)

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
Alternative scenery for German Revolution 1919
« on: October 10, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »
I'm interested in doing this era but for reasons of storage, time and expense I don't want to model a complete cityscape in 28mm...

So I'm wondering how much fighting occurred in open country. Alternatively I'm thinking about a low-rise industrial site like a marshalling yard.

Any ideas?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Alternative scenery for German Revolution 1919
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
If you would stretch the period a bit up to 1921 you would have fighting in several places, Bavaria/Munich, Ruhr, the Baltics and Upper Silesia. The latter two would for sure offer more rural settings. I guess that it must also been some figting in villages and in the outskirts of Munich and other towns. I am considering to build a scenario around the third Silesian uprising May-July 1921, which also includes the Battle of Annaberg. There you have an interesting array of belligerents:

German side
Freikorps
Sebschutz(German militia)
German regulars
Indirect support by British and Italian troops

Polish side
Polish insurgents
indirect support by French troops

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:33:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion but I already have the Baltic theatre covered in 10mm using Red Actions.

If I do go ahead with this in 28mm I see Sarissa has some good city block and industrial buildings.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
If you still want to go with a city setting there are quite a few photos showing troops active in the big squares, parks and open spaces of Berlin and Munich. That would only require building facades alon the edges of the wargames table. I guess the conflict in the Ruhr would also include industrial areas which would have a lot of open spaces and walls.

Looking forward to see what you come up with  ;)

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »
Yes, I noticed some of the fighting took place in big, open squares, but they suffer from the opposite problem - almost complete lack of cover (except for barricades)!

I think it should be possible to create a balanced solution but it needs some careful thought.

Sarissa do some very nice viaduct arches which could be used to split up a table with maybe city blocks and a small square with with some trees and an abandoned tram on one side and industrial buildings on the other...The ideas just need time to ‘cook’.

I once did a Stalingrad-esque cityscape in 15mm for playing Crossfire. It took hours to get it right but I got there in the end.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »
One of the Spartacist strongholds in Berlin was apparently the large munitions factories in the Spanda area, so I think there should be quite a lot of scope there...