Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:18:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Evil Dave's Warmaster Dwarves - More Characters  (Read 5873 times)

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Re: Evil Dave's Warmaster Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
Cant wait so see them finished and based. They will look awesome! Amazing work Dave as always. Glad to see your take on Warmaster.

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
Thanks guys.

I found that a 3/16 hole punch fits them perfectly, fred. The plan is to put decals in there, white symbols on blue.

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
I'd like to finish the basing on the Dwarves as well as their artillery before the end of the year but I'm burnt out on them for now. This is what I managed to get done last week before Fall In! I finished the skin and hair on the dwarves, and got them on bases along with the ballast. The decals didn't end up working out, they printed poorly and I found myself touching them up far too much. I scrapped the idea and painted simple patterns on the shields to differentiate the Warriors. I'll got back and match the shield pattens on the banners as well.

The general still is a work-in-progress, I'm converting him up along with an unreleased musician. I did manage to get some good decal prints for him and the Anvil, they'll be the only two in the army.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
Very nice indeed. I must stop looking at fantasy figures on LAF, I can feel my resolve weakening.

Look forward to seeing how these look when their bases are done.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Looking great already. I love 10mm as a figure size and especially so the excellent Warmaster ranges.

Side question - should I get the W&N acrylic flow improver? Are you happy with how it works?

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
I've had that one bottle longer than I can remember. I tend to use it when painting/white gluing over sand. It definitely breaks up the surface tension of paint, but it creates a bunch of bubbles when shaking.

I tend to use Lamian Medium when thinning my paints now, but I'm guessing the flow improver with some matte medium would be pretty much the same thing.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »
Cheers. These days I usually use P3's mixing medium and/or GW's contrast medium stuff sometimes when I make glazes. Works OK, but I'm open for alternatives. :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »
Cool! Those small scales really give the true rank and file feeling!

I used my warmaster armies mainly to play warhammer...

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
Re: Evil Dave's Warmaster Dwarves - Artillery
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 01:32:43 PM »
I've been working on the Dwarves that I left unfinished two Novembers ago. The bases are nearly done, just another drybrush and flocking left. The artillery needed a bit more work, the crews are nearly done now with just the leather, wood and small details to go. Once they're done I'll finish the wood and metal on the artillery pieces themselves.

I also had two more heroes that were left half-done. They've been along with the ride with the crew. With these done I'd need to do some more building but I have another dozen or so units planned to bring the army up to 3,000 points.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 05:18:11 PM »
Cracking work on those figs Dave

Hope your mojo keeps up to get them all based up - as that will set them off very nicely

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »
Thanks Fred. Ya, I think I got enough steam in me to get the flock on what's pictured. I don't know about the other 13 units I have right now though, hopefully it doesn't take me another seven years to get to them...

I finished drybrushing all the bases for the Warmaster Dwarves this week, just the flock left on all them.

I finished the characters too and got them on their bases.

Finally, I did the base coats for the artillery as well. They still need washes and highlights however, hopefully I'll be able to get to that next week.

Also, I wanted to mention I started using Testors Glosscote and Dullcoate via my airbrush, thinned 1:1 with lacquer thinner. I had been using the cans but they're getting so expensive now I thought I'd try the liquid stuff. I can't tell any difference between the two right now, but it sure does dry super fast via the airbrush. I was able to pick up the artillery in under a minute.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2021, 07:28:14 AM »
All progress is good progress - on the final straight now!

Another 13 units! Given the points cost of dwarves in WM how many more do you need for a playable army?

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2021, 07:35:03 AM »
Beautiful paintjob! I love small scale fantasy armies! The only thing that saves my wallet is, that they are not really available nowdays.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2021, 10:19:41 AM »
Beautiful paintjob! I love small scale fantasy armies! The only thing that saves my wallet is, that they are not really available nowdays.

Whilst the GW Warmaster lines are long OoP some of the more common ones are pretty available on eBay. But there are also many new manufacturers producing some great new 10mm fantasy ranges - Blackgate, Cromaty’s Forge, Warmonger off the top of my head, and there are the established players like Pendraken, Kallistra and Magister Militum with extensive ranges too.

Sorry to your wallet.

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »
It's playable now, at 2k, I just don't have a lot of flexibility with what I can field. The plan was to take it up to 3k to allow for some different builds, plus use all the rare/unreleased units I have kicking around  :D.

@BZ this is my company: https://warmonger-miniatures.com/ for 10mm.