Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who makes a decent 28mm Ribauldequin?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Who makes a decent 28mm Ribauldequin?
« on: October 12, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
I'm looking for a few decent models of a Ribauldequin as I'm going to be converting them into the "wagons" the Spanish infantry had to protect them the French Mounted Men at Arms.

Just what these wagons were and how they were used is a bit of an intriguing mystery for me at present, which I kind of like as it's a puzzle that I will be piecing together as best as I can in the coming months. It does seem clear that they had some kind of ability to shoot so I'm going to start with a model or two of a  Ribauldequin and go from there.

I'm ware of Olicanalad's version of the cart on his impressive blog here (scroll about three quaters down the page):

https://olicanalad.blogspot.com/search?q=ravenna&updated-max=2018-10-17T07:09:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=1&by-date=false

The type of thing I'm looking for is pictured below- I love the look of the Ribauldequin with the fanned out barrels so if anyone makes a model of that I would be especially interested. Other than that pics of any models other than that will do.

Many thanks.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Who makes a decent 28mm Ribauldequin?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 06:25:36 PM »
I think the very old Hinchcliffe ones are Ok -now sold by Hinds Miniatures (if I recall correctly??).
Simon.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »
I have one from Redoubt that is very nice:

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/rx-10/

Reasonable price too.  :)

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 07:11:12 PM »
The one from Redoubt is very good, there is a model from RAFM too !

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »
I think the very old Hinchcliffe ones are Ok -now sold by Hinds Miniatures (if I recall correctly??).
Simon.

Thanks Simon, I'll take a look tonight. Hope they have pics.

The one from Redoubt is very good, there is a model from RAFM too !

I forgot all about RAFM!! There's a real blast from the past!!

I have one from Redoubt that is very nice:

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/rx-10/

Reasonable price too.  :)

I like the look of this one as it has handles which can be used with some sort of converted crew manoeuvering the things.

I will also have to source some kind of winged sythe to go on the axels too. That's assuming that the Olicanolad concept is the one I go for..... hmmmmm........  ??? ??? ??? Maybe some spear type things at the front too...... hang on a minute..... didn't Games Workshop do an Empire version of what I'm describing one time? lol

Thanks everyone  8)

The Redoubt Ribauldequin:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:46:47 PM by Atheling »

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
I will also have to source some kind of winged sythe to go on the axels too. That's assuming that the Olicanolad concept is the one I go for..... hmmmmm........  ??? ??? ??? Maybe some spear type things at the front too...... hang on a minute..... didn't Games Workshop do an Empire version of what I'm describing one time? lol

Maybe you are thinking of the Bretonnian organ gun from the 1980's that had a set of four spikes in the front, and looked like it would work fine for late 14th century. For more spiky version there is also the Marauder dwarf organ gun released a few years later:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm12dwfog.htm

As for the Redoubt version, it is a very nice one and reasonably priced. I have two of those assembled and primed somewhere. Thinking better, I have a feeling that they may have had some sort of scythe blades at the end of the axles, though I cut off those as they did not look very good. In any case, there is a lot of space to add your own spiky bits.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Maybe you are thinking of the Bretonnian organ gun from the 1980's that had a set of four spikes in the front, and looked like it would work fine for late 14th century. For more spiky version there is also the Marauder dwarf organ gun released a few years later:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm12dwfog.htm

"The horror.... the horror!"  lol

A bit too spikey for me but you're right, that's what I was thinking of  lol lol lol

As for the Redoubt version, it is a very nice one and reasonably priced. I have two of those assembled and primed somewhere. Thinking better, I have a feeling that they may have had some sort of scythe blades at the end of the axles, though I cut off those as they did not look very good. In any case, there is a lot of space to add your own spiky bits.

Yep, that's the one I'm going to go for  8).

A bit of drilling and minor conversion work and hey presto :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »
If it helps give you an idea of size, here's a pic of mine with Foundry crew alongside Perry plastic pike:

Not the best quality picture, but I think you can see everything.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
If it helps give you an idea of size, here's a pic of mine with Foundry crew alongside Perry plastic pike:

Not the best quality picture, but I think you can see everything.

Jolly good JollyBob!  8)

Yep, that's a good size and it looks as though there's plenty of scope for adding those "spears".

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
I bought the Hinds/Hincliffe single bank version (3 middling guns and the “Da Vinci” rotating 3 banks also available), and am pretty happy with it.

Old Glory do a 6 gun & a 3 gun option...
https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=179
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
I bought the Hinds/Hincliffe single bank version (3 middling guns and the “Da Vinci” rotating 3 banks also available), and am pretty happy with it.

Old Glory do a 6 gun & a 3 gun option...
https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=179

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the Redoubt models but I am worried a little about how big they are- to used as infantry carts/gun/thingimies :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
I think I've found just what I need..... From Siberia Miniatures

I looks very cart like and the 'simplicity' of the model lends itself to conversion work.

I don't want to sound impolite or mistrusting but has anyone had experience of ordering from Russia/Siberia miniatures?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:55:07 AM by Atheling »

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »
Old Glory do this one.

I converted mine - replaced the solid wheels with spoked ones (I think from Front Rank) and cut off the dragon head things so it looks less fantasy. The crew of course are Perry.

That Russian one does look really good though, I'm going to have to look into that myself...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 08:52:33 PM »
Old Glory do this one.

I converted mine - replaced the solid wheels with spoked ones (I think from Front Rank) and cut off the dragon head things so it looks less fantasy. The crew of course are Perry.

That Russian one does look really good though, I'm going to have to look into that myself...

The problem i have is that their is no definitive definition of what the carts looked like.

1/ It was a cart that could be easily manhandled by the infantry to protect against infantry and cavalry.

2/ It had "scythes"- whatever that means(???)

3/ It had three gun heavy barrels, but not so heavy so they weighed too much.

4/ S"pears" were mounted to the front of the cart.

It's quite a conundrum!  o_o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:02:02 PM by Atheling »

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 09:05:17 PM »
sythes or scythes?