Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular War Battlefield Tour - Battle of Bailen  (Read 671 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Peninsular War Battlefield Tour - Battle of Bailen
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
The Battle of Bailen fought on the 19th July 1808 is perhaps one of the most pivotal battles of the Napoleonic wars, shattering the myth of Imperial French invincibility established by the emperor in the three preceding years.

The battle was the result of an intriguing mix of incompetency and sheer luck applying to all sides involved, with many decisions simply defying logic and good sense.

In the end a French army of some 18,000 men would surrender to a Spanish army held in contempt by Napoleon and force him to enter the country five months later to restore some sense of proportion among his enemies that this battle was a bit unusual.

If you would like to know more then follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2019/10/battle-of-bailen-peninsular-war-tour.html

Jonathan (JJ)
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Online vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Peninsular War Battlefield Tour - Battle of Bailen
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:23:54 PM »
The battle was the result of an intriguing mix of incompetency and sheer luck applying to all sides involved, with many decisions simply defying logic and good sense.

It would seem that a lot of folks on both sides were in way over their heads. Dupont ended up making even more mistakes than the Spanish did. Great post.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »
Thank you.

It really is amazing to see some of the inept command decisions made, particularly from General Vedel whose decision making process seems astonishing and the French with their advantage in cavalry seem not to have considered using them to find the enemy and know exactly where they are and in what sort of numbers.

But then as Foy points out, the French army as a whole at that time was not really up to the task.

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 04:42:57 AM »
I have enjoyed your travels immensely! Great photos and insights, a unique series of posts. Very much piqued my interest in the Peninsula. Much appreciated - RB

Online vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
But then as Foy points out, the French army as a whole at that time was not really up to the task.

Mostly ad-hoc units, the scrapings of the depots. My guess is most of them had been left behind in the depots for good reason. Dupont had been an excellent division CO with valiant duty to his credit. But independent command in a strange land in arms against him put him at his level of incompetence. He was burdened with loot and perhaps suffering from dysentery.

It reminds me of the Moors retreating with loot when they were caught at Tours. Except their escape route wasn't cut.

Regarding French looting in Spain: I once went to an exhibit at the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art on Spanish paintings that influenced French painting. A truly amazing chunk of the large exhibit featured the paintings looted by Marshal Soult. He must have had quite a wagon train just for them. He also had a good eye, might have made a better curator than a general.