Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas Model Kit?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas Model Kit?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 08:04:20 AM »
In our city, in two stores, there were three "Thomas". It is interesting?

The problem I have is that I need at least 8 ships and I don't want to end up with just a few.

Let me consider it please. In the meantime can you let me know where are you based please Leon?

Offline Leon

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »
I am from Saint Petersburg.
I think that I can order in the store the required number of models. (???)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 08:58:15 AM »
I am from Saint Petersburg.
I think that I can order in the store the required number of models. (???)

I don't think so as Zwezda have discontinued the line :(

Thanks for the offer though- much appreciated.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »
I'm not sure why you need so many.  You may want to just make a waterline hull and stick in a piece of doweling for the mast.

You could then just keep making as many hulls as you want or make your own mould and cast it (ie dental plaster) or buy the Thomas ships you can and then get the rest in the other versions of the cog. 

Sounds like you want more of a display piece?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
I'm not sure why you need so many

Part of the battle of Sluys, a battle fought at sea prior to Crecy and almost certainly equally as important to the English at the time as the defeat of the French nobility at Crecy.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 05:46:06 AM »

Part of the battle of Sluys, a battle fought at sea prior to Crecy and almost certainly equally as important to the English at the time as the defeat of the French nobility at Crecy.

Long, long ago I had the same idea and ended up with 6 Zvezda ships for a 4 x 6 gaming table, because I want to include some coastal terrain and flotillas of small rowing boats to transfer reinforcements from ship to ship the table was really crowded. The "Thomas" kit is the same as the medieval cog, only difference is the crow nest. Here wooden ship model market offer crow nests for for example Santa Maria 1:50.

To offer an other idea, google sketchup warehouse offers a medieval cog https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/532d9d862025a78127bcf85d432352ff/Kogge
This is a very well made model and more or less printable because it can be easily split into parts. Only one problem stopped me. After waterlining and cutting the hull into printable sizes there were some minor errors in the hull that must be repaired with a 3d program. I failed to master Blender, but last week I noticed that blender updated to version 2.8. The newest version should be much more easier to understand (says Blender).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 01:28:16 PM »
Long, long ago I had the same idea and ended up with 6 Zvezda ships for a 4 x 6 gaming table, because I want to include some coastal terrain and flotillas of small rowing boats to transfer reinforcements from ship to ship the table was really crowded. The "Thomas" kit is the same as the medieval cog, only difference is the crow nest. Here wooden ship model market offer crow nests for for example Santa Maria 1:50.

To offer an other idea, google sketchup warehouse offers a medieval cog https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/532d9d862025a78127bcf85d432352ff/Kogge
This is a very well made model and more or less printable because it can be easily split into parts. Only one problem stopped me. After waterlining and cutting the hull into printable sizes there were some minor errors in the hull that must be repaired with a 3d program. I failed to master Blender, but last week I noticed that blender updated to version 2.8. The newest version should be much more easier to understand (says Blender).

Thanks for the suggestion but 3D printing is really beyond my capabilities (sadly), My head starts spinning at the thought of it  o_o :(

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 05:10:19 PM »
Because of the scale of the Zvezda model, I am going to guess you are gaming this in 1/72?  (20mm)

Here is a thread that tells a bit more about them.  The links to the sprues do not work, though, after all these years:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/74928.aspx

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
Because of the scale of the Zvezda model, I am going to guess you are gaming this in 1/72?  (20mm)

Here is a thread that tells a bit more about them.  The links to the sprues do not work, though, after all these years:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/74928.aspx

No, it will be 28mm. The ships will be converted.

Offline rwm61

• Lurker
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »
hi i am in the process of thining out my collection, i have 5 of these ships - mix of all 3 varients that were released, i also have 4 resin ships, i am based in northern england, if your interested

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »
hi i am in the process of thining out my collection, i have 5 of these ships - mix of all 3 varients that were released, i also have 4 resin ships, i am based in northern england, if your interested

i'm in sunny Durham. Where are you mate?

Offline rwm61

• Lurker
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 06:46:19 PM »
i am in Gods own county of Yorkshire ;D, you can pm me if you wish to discuss