Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Game AAR - Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings  (Read 847 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
First Game AAR - Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:34:44 AM »
This one hasn’t gotten much coverage on LAF but maybe a few of you are curious. I know the giant scale has put off a lot of people. But here is a detailed breakdown of my first game with a lot of description of the rules as they are used in play:

http://lifeonjasoom.blogspot.com/2019/10/test-driving-conquest-last-argument-of.html

For those who don’t like to click through here are my preliminary conclusions:

Perhaps typical of Alessio Cavatore's designs, many meaningful decision points emerge from a fairly simple and straightforward rule set. My opponent and I did not encounter any questions that we could not answer by fairly quick reference to the rule book. The highlight was certainly the moving deployment zones. I am really excited to play around with the implications of that mechanic. I also loved the terrain rules, which were very simple to understand and created interesting tactical opportunities and challenges without overdetermining the shape of the game play.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
Re: First Game AAR - Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
Thank you, I enjoyed reading your thoughts. This one had been tempting me for a while.
The price is right, and the size doesn't bother me, but the miniatures in the core set seem pretty soft on detail, and I'm not sure I want to commit to storage space for a game with miniatures that I don't love...
Any thoughts on the miniatures?

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »
Thanks for reading and I hope it gave you a good sense of what you get, gameplay-wise, right out of the core box. And I would say, the gameplay is the main value here ...

... rather than the miniatures, to be specific. In terms of quality, they are pretty nice. I would say the Men-at-Arms' shields are too thick. Some of their poses are somewhat puzzling. But that's about it, so far as criticizing the quality of the miniatures. The detail isn't really soft at all. I think people saying that are a bit confused because of how huge these guys are.

And that is the real issue: scale. This line simply won't fit with anything else in your 28/32mm-ish collection. They are giant.

So it's hard to say, "hey this box is such a great deal and if you don't like the game, just get it for the minis" because although the box is a great deal, it's primarily a great deal for someone who wants to play Conquest or specifically collect Conquest minis for some other purpose. But this product line is NOT going to match comfortably with what you already have.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »
Interesting write up - I’d not heard of this game.

Are the rules available separately? I’m not interested in large scale fantasy figures - 10mm is more my thing. But several bits of your write up sound intriguing, not least the deployment options. 

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »
The rules are available for free!

https://www.para-bellum.com/conquest-rules-armylist-faqs/

Complete army lists are also available for free on their site for the existing factions.

As for playing in 10mm:  These rules use both (a) stand removal and (b) individual figure removal.

Infanty models come in 3+ stands of 4 figures each. Cavalry and Brutes come in come in 3+ stands of one figure each. At least with the units available in the core box, it always works out to 4 wounds per stand. The Inf/Cav/Brute stands are all 2.5"x2.5" squares.

Monsters are one per stand and the base is larger than the normal stand but I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head. I think the size is important however; something to do with what stands count as engaged.

Without telling you your business, I think I'd just use tokens to represent "casualties" (essentially wounds per stand) and include any number of 10mm figs on the base. I guess the only issue is, if you already have a bunch of 10mm fantasy (for Warmaster, for example; which is clearly a big influence on Conquest -- it's Alessio after all) how important are the square stand dimensions in Conquest?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:30:28 PM by Manchu »

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
Oh and you will of course need to make your own command cards (they are only available with the minis) but that would hardly be a challenge.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »
Thanks - very useful. I’ll download the rules and have a read.

My 10mm stuff is nearly all on 40mm square bases now, we moved on from WM some time ago, to a home brew set of rules (and two WM bases back to back work as a square base!). Yes using markers for wounds would work - I’ve used that for rules like Dragon Rampant too.

If the bigger size of the bases matters for monsters, I can always use some sabot bases.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
This is the link to the page with the rules link on
https://www.para-bellum.com/conquest-rules-armylist-faqs/

The above link doesn’t work for me.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »
My 10mm stuff is nearly all on 40mm square bases now
If you decide to try it out with you 10mm collection, please please post pics! I would really love to see it in action! (Might very well give it a spin myself, as a first foray into 10mm fantasy -- drat you fred, and you inspirational idea!)

I suppose it would work fine to replace inches with cm, as well. On second thought, with 40mm square bases, maybe just halve distances in inches.

The above link doesn’t work for me.
Swapped out the link in my post for yours, thanks!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:31:15 PM by Manchu »