Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flintloque - orcs uniforms  (Read 2906 times)

Gabbi

Flintloque - orcs uniforms
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
I'm considering painting a few models that I have by many years. These models:

https://www.alternative-armies.com/products/5001o-flintloque-sharkes-rifles-1st-edition

Not a napoleonic period expert (actually, don't like it very much) but I'd thought that british soldiers (orcs are meant to be british, isn't it?) of the time had red coats and white trousers. In the linked pic they're painted in a full-green uniform.

I can paint them green, but like the white/red idea more. Opinions/suggestions? :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:34:27 PM by Gabbi »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Flintloque - orcs uniforms
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »
The British rifle regiments were elite light infantry, trained to be skirmishers and armed with the rifle (much better accuracy and range than the musket, but slower to reload). They wore very dark green uniforms, which is what these Orcs are based on. The name is a pun on Sharpe's Rifles, one of a series of books/TV series by Bernard Cornwell, based on characters in a Napoleonic rifle regiment.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Gabbi

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
I see. Many thanks for explanation and reference!

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »
Exactly. 95th Rifles, Black facings, white piping. Here they are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifleman+95th&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNScK4YJGWVWqfCQBk7ELvPHph_rhw:1571237485621&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOssDhg6HlAhUBaVAKHfMOBvoQ_AUIESgB&biw=1536&bih=701

Of course you can do what you want with your models. The game system, Flintloque, is based on the Sharpe series/novels and does have a 'british' feel for the Orcs (and French for elves etc.), but in the painting instructions they actively keep open the option to fantasize your own uniforms.

Not the best set of rules though. The slightly comic, feel of the models is better served with the Song of Drums and Shako's rules from Ganesha.

Gabbi

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 04:17:10 PM »
Thanks for further insight. I’ve also learned what facing and piping are :)

While I like the red/white uniform more, I think I want to stick to the real-world riflemen colors. As far as Flintloque is a fantasy setting, to me -an almost exclusively fantasy/scifi player- the historical vibe has a novelty feel, so I’m inclined to follow it.

Regarding rules, I just purchased a copy of One Hour Skirmish in the bazaar. Since it’s a mostly historical ruleset that supports among others napoleonic period, I thought I could paint these models I have by so many years.
Will keep in mind your suggestion, though. I usually like games based on SBH engine.

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
Well if you know ganesha: use SOD&S, add the reaction rule from Asob&H, paint both factions that you probably have bought in the box (the 'Ferach'-elves and 'Sharke' and hus orcish rifles, and you have a perfect standalone game.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:32:31 PM »
I do the uniform colours as close as I can to the historical versions. (Although I'm stretching things with the Italian/Toad infantry. I really just didn't want to do them in green because their green skin wouldn't stand out).

Here's my Sharke's Rifles:

The rules are quite fun -- the phase mechanism works better in practice than it sounds on paper.

There's a free version available to try out.

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:56:06 PM »
Thanks for further infos.

I don't have the elves. But I have the russian undeads from Deadloque. And a few more orc models, including two tall ogres (one with rifle and bayonet(?), the other with a larger caliber gun).

@Aerendar Valandil: in the search results you linked I see that some have trousers of a different color (mostly grey). Is this some kind of variation?

@katie: your models look great!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:03:42 PM by Gabbi »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 05:54:13 AM »
Thanks for further infos.

I don't have the elves. But I have the russian undeads from Deadloque. And a few more orc models, including two tall ogres (one with rifle and bayonet(?), the other with a larger caliber gun).

Those ogres would be the Hunvarian/Finkelstein ogres (i.e. Confederation of the Rhine), thus Ferach (elvish) allies. There are also KGL ogres in more obviously British uniforms.

Using the original rules, ogres were quite brutal to the point of being overpowered. But one on each side levelled the field nicely.

As to the rules, I quite loved them back in the nineties, but then I was young with a fast brain and didn't mind the detail management. That said, they worked well to represent black powder skirmish and were reasonably fast once you got the hang of it.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
@Aerendar Valandil: in the search results you linked I see that some have trousers of a different color (mostly grey). Is this some kind of variation?

It could be an officer you're looking at - officer uniforms were often more relaxed in conformity than the ranks. It could also be men of the 60th Rifles, who had grey trousers.

Gabbi

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
@Westfalia Chris: Thanks for the explanation. I will not field them alongside my orcs, then :D

@Cubs: I see. Thank you.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »
@Westfalia Chris: Thanks for the explanation. I will not field them alongside my orcs, then :D

Don't take it as gospel. It's mainly the issue that the uniforms are more French than British, which might put off some - then again, it's the only Ogre with a Kanonderbüss that I'm aware of.

It all boils down to if you wish to follow the "official" Valon background which, as said, is Napoleon in Spain as exemplified by Sharpe. If you go for a more "imagination-ish" approach (our group back then put a bigger focus on Krautia vs. Confederation of Finklestein, for our regional sensibilities), there's nothing to stop you using any of the figures in any way you like.

I've still got a ton of half- and unpainted Flintloque figures as well as Krautian and Ostarian armies for Slaughterloo, which I mean to revisit time and again. Never got around to do so, probably to a lack of interest. It was moderately big in the 1990s, but with Sharpe drifting from gamers' consciousness, I guess this parody shtick (which was one of the main things going for it, with all those 'orrible puns) doesn't have that much pull anymore.

I must admit if I were to do Sharpe these days, I'd use proper historical figures (and actually have a set of Warlord's 95th rifles for that, again half-painted). They were nice and interesting in those days, and some still hold up, but a lot of the range is more crude than cute, IMHO.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »
Grey trousers could also be an enlisted man whose replacements weren't in rifle green -- trousers wear out faster than tunics, and they were often replaced in-theatre with creativity...

Avoid the lowland rats, they're just not great sculptures. The British naval group is... odd, even for orcs but the marines are nice. The dwarves are good -- the dogmen are fantastic. The highland rats are HUGE but lovely, lovely figures. The toads are also brilliant sculpts. Fun to paint. I've done some of the werewolves and they were quite fun. The french are a little repetitive to paint but they do look good all ranked up with shiny bayonets. Ah, and the Orcs. Have a soft-spot for Orcs. They're the first FL's I bought and I always loved the mix of toothy orcness with big hats.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »
Stunning paint job  :)
I’ve had the box set of sharkes rifles for sale in the bazaar section for a while now thought there wasn’t many people into flintloque now?

Gabbi

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »
Don't take it as gospel. It's mainly the issue that the uniforms are more French than British, which might put off some - then again, it's the only Ogre with a Kanonderbüss that I'm aware of.

Here they are.

Could not say what uniform they wear to save my life...