Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE SEASON 3 - THE RESULTS  (Read 53266 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE SEASON 3 - THE RESULTS
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »
And so, after around 400 teams, over 2,000 lovingly painted miniatures, one total system crash and a short interlude, finally we reach the end of the Lead Painters League, Season 3.

Goodness knows how many man hours of work that lot represents - but it’s a lot. Blood, sweat and tears. But also a huge amount of creativity, determination, artistic skill, ingenuity and passion.

It’s been a pleasure to run the league with hardly any problems, complaints or tantrums to spoil things…
And I now know more about Excel spreadsheets than I ever really wanted to.

Particular congratulations to those contestants who stayed the course and managed to produce a new team for every single round – it takes a titanic effort of willpower to achieve this, but over half of you did, and you have the bonus points to prove it!

I know from your emails that it cost some of you dear (wives, work, household chores – all set to one side in favour of frenzied painting).
Gladiators - I salute you  ;)

For those who couldn’t quite sustain the pace – well, we all know there are an awful lot of things in real life that get in the way, and some of them, frankly, are a lot more important than painting small soldiers…  Or fairies in Plynkes case...

:D

And so, we come at last to the winners.

The Winner, supreme champion, top banana - in first place, the Mighty Grimm, the tattooed God of Lead. He had to share the title with yours truly in Season Two. Now the glory is his alone! Well done Grimm, me old Hamburger. You saved the best until last.

In joint second place – the ingenious Tsar1701 and the Indefatigable Orctrader.
These two not only achieved the same points total, but also accumulated an almost identical number of ‘votes for’ in their matches. It would be churlish in the extreme to count the wafer-thin votes difference between the two as the difference between silver and bronze, and therefore they share second place.

Tsar1701’s every entry told a lovingly crafted story. Beautiful layouts. Great painting. He fought his way to the top of the pile to muscle in beside Orctrader - master of the subtle brush and vivid palette. To come so close only to be pipped at the post is cruel indeed, but OT knows we all think he’s marvellous anyway.

In third place – Admiral Benbow, who painted some of my favourite entries of the entire season, and proved a stern challenger to all who faced him.

Congratulations to the winner and the runners-up for their well-deserved and hard-fought podium positions.

I imagine The Prof will arrange medals, citations, or somesuch in due course.
Tomorrow, I will randomly draw a lucky recipient of the prize kindly donated by Alex of Forge of Ice...

Meanwhile, for honourable mentions in dispatches, may I just pick out:

- Chambersofminiatures, who came within a whisker of a top three finish. Very frustrating to be squeaked out of one of the top slots I know, but a fantastic performance nonetheless.
- Overlord, who managed to achieve the highest ‘votes for’ and the highest points difference (+726) - despite finishing in 7th place
- Moriarty, who ploughed his own particular furrow with his old-fashioned Spencer-Smith miniatures – and never wavered for one moment in his belief in his project. And sod the voters!
- Mancha, who won 8 out of his 10 matches – the only contestant with such a high success rate apart from Grimm and the ever-threatening Bugsda – and yet still ended up in 20th place.  Curse those bonus points!

It only leaves me to thank Alex, the Prof, for maintaining this marvellous site which gives such pleasure and inspiration to so many. Cheers Alex.
(By the way, next season, Prof, we want to see you either running the league, or competing in it! Or both… )

I don’t think there are many other wargame sites on the web where painters of all talents and interests, and (as far as I can work out) of at least 11 nationalities (that’s counting Scotland and Groningen as independent states) can compete on a fairly level playing field, and in the kind of friendly, sporting spirit engendered by the LAF.

So now, sit back, relax, enjoy a break from painting for a few days and when you get a moment, raise a glass in a small, private toast to The LAF… Long Live The LPL!

Oh yes, and here's the final table...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:56:08 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE SEASON 3 - THE RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:56 AM »
WOW Great stuff Grimm, well done on the win! Hip Hip Hurray  :D
Tuff luck to Octrader and Tsar1701 very close run thing. :'(
Well done Captain for running a great competition, I had great fun and I am looking forward to next year already. :D
Though I doubt I can do better than 8th. WOW I can’t believe I done so well :o  ;D
Long live both the LPL and the LAF :D

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:29:04 AM »
Congrats Grimm!

Great job everyone.  Thanks for 10 weeks of eye candy!   :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:35:31 AM »
Congratulations, Grimm. You are well worthy. Glad to see a person who, to me, is as 'Mr Lead Adventure' as Alex. :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:53:20 AM »
Congratulations to you Grimm an all the other artists out there who put in a fantastic effort for this round. All the entries were super an everyone of you deserve a little something!

Thank you Richard for your devotion in facilitating this contest an my congrats to Alex an all for a fantastic forum.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
Another excellent league with plenty of goodies for all of us to enjoy looking upon. And a good job for you too, Cap'n, you did a swell job at keeping those numbers flowing and tabulating.

Cheers for all the contestants! I can't wait for next year's one, though I must say it's an even worst time for me to attempt entering the LPL. Will be graduating next year and working in a job to gain currency to support my venture into entering another school shortly afterward.

Outstanding performance, Grimm. You've taken the cake with your excellent show of brushmanship and picture taking!

Huzzars!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 04:47:43 AM »
You did a great job Captain.  I personally would love to see your Excel spreadsheets; not to critisize or anything, but just because I love an Excel spreadsheet.   :)  I was impressed with the one you posted about midway through showing your match-ups.

I have to point out that what I most liked about Tsar1701 was that he consistently contributed feedback to other painters. 

I painted more original minis this time around than in the last season, and I'm even more impressed with those who churn out a new team every round.  I very much value new eye candy, and wish I could have done more in that vein.  Congrats to everyone who participated.

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »
Thanks to all who took part.
It was a most enjoyable league.
Congratulations to Grimm, who did it again! :D

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:06:57 AM »
Congratulations Grimm, you're a lead god! :)

And big up for Orc and Tsar, inspirational men! 8)

Well done Captain! I wouldn't know a spread sheet from a rumpled duvet so I admire the IT alchemy ;)

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
I've always valued feedback.  I thanked Tsar for providing it earlier in the thread.  I don't want it to seem that I'm sleighting anyone else; I just noticed a lot from Tsar in the last few rounds. 

In fact, I want to thank everyone who was there telling others that their work was valued.  I don't think anyone would enjoy this event half as much if there weren't people providing recognition.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:32:50 AM »
well, that was a great season and it was a phantastic job, Captain!! Especially I would like to point out to all that Richard (Captain) has sacrificed himself and his great entries for the League due the uneven amount of participants. He was able to enter only four teams. That's unfotunately always the fate of the moderator :) Thanks, Richard, you was great!

My congrats to the winnern and all the participants of Season 3! Grimm is still the man, well done, my friend! And I'm happy to see Orctrader, Tsar and Admiral on the top. Outstandig performance, lads!!

Next season I'll try to participate (and maybe run ;D) again :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
Congratulations to Grimm – a worthy Winner.  :-*

Many thanks to Captain Blood.  I can only imagine the huge amount of work involved in organising the event. :)

And many, many congratulations to all who entered.  I loved seeing the photos every week, each and every one.  :)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
Congratulations for all! Good job for the participants and moderator!

A great thanks to all for the eye candy entries and inspiration you gave us!

A small remark: I would like to see which single entry attracted the most attention (votes)!
argsilverson

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »
Congratulation to the winners !

Thanks Richard for doing a fine job !

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »

You did a great job Captain.  I personally would love to see your Excel spreadsheets; not to critisize or anything, but just because I love an Excel spreadsheet.   :)  I was impressed with the one you posted about midway through showing your match-ups.

Thanks  :)

I'll post the spreadsheets in a separate thread for those who would like to pore over them.

A small remark: I would like to see which single entry attracted the most attention (votes)!

Argsilverson, you'll be able to have the fun of spotting which that is from the spreadsheets!  ;)