Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 723
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (men-at-arms)  (Read 6661 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (with more Dark Alliance goblins)
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 11:20:53 AM »
Here are a couple more RPG foes (or perhaps PCs - who knows?): a Caesar orc and a Dark Alliance orc on a hyena-thing.

I'm experimenting with the Caesar orcs as a Bronze Age tribe of savage primitives - more ogre than orc, given their hefty stature. The nice thing about 1/72 is that you get plenty of duplicates - so it's easy to make several 'tribes' from a pack with different paint-jobs. This guy could work as a dismounted Tusk Rider in Glorantha; I suspect it might be possible to get some appropriately sized boars to mount some of his peers.

I painted the hyena chap a while back, but recently based him. He was originally earmarked as part of a 'beasts' element for 15mm HotT - perhaps as some sort of hyenadon-riding ogre. But I'm now thinking of a clearer division between scales: 15mm for HotT and similar games (on 28mm-sized bases); 1/72 for RPGs, Dragon Rampant and OGAM; and 28mm for a bit of everything, but especially skirmish games and simpler, dungeon-crawling RPGS.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (Caesar orc and DA hyena-rider)
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
really nice !

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
Caesar Orcs look much better when not painted radioactive green.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 03:42:42 AM »
Fantastic paintjob :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
Amazing what you do with these. They look fantastic! Do you find figure clean up an issue with this plastic? (I may have asked this before...)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
Thanks, all!

Gibby: it depends. Some manufacturers (especially Zvezda) are extremely clean to begin with. I haven't tried the technique with the heated pin that's often recommended, but I find a sharp craft knife does the job as long as the strokes are decisive. I use one of the ones with snap-off blades so that I can restore sharpness quickly (and cheaply!).

The kind of plastic used in 1/72 seems to vary a lot; oddly, it's the softer plastic that Caesar uses that seems to be easiest to clean up with a knife.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »
Here's a Dark Alliance troll. I don't much like the New Line take on the cave troll, but it's hard to argue with these ones, with their less comic faces, as nasty great Ologs.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (Dark Alliance troll)
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
Great paintjob on this troll :), do you have Balrogs from DA's lrange? Are they of similar size to that of trolls? Bigger?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 01:42:22 PM »
Great paintjob on this troll :), do you have Balrogs from DA's lrange? Are they of similar size to that of trolls? Bigger?

Thanks!

I don't - but I assume they're significantly bigger. I think you just get two to a box whereas the trolls come in eights. I've read that the balrogs are 60-65mm tall.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
Thank you :).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
A batch of ratmen to go with the others. I have another dozen or so I painted earlier, which I've already rebased three times (square Warhammer bases for use alongside similarly based Skaven in SoBH; penny bases to serve as gnollish monsters in 15mm RPGs; and now 28mm element bases of HotT). But I may well put them back on pennies again to join this lot.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (Dark Alliance troll and Caesar ratmen)
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
I'm very impressed by your painting style, those skavens look simply awesome :).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (Dark Alliance troll and Caesar ratmen)
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »
Thanks!

Here's a very hastily painted Reaper Bones snake to go with the rest.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (Dark Alliance troll, Caesar ratmen and Reaper snake)
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
Awesome :),  I need to get one.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: 1/72 for fantasy RPGs (Dark Alliance troll, Caesar ratmen and Reaper snake)
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2019, 10:39:07 AM »
Thanks!

Here are some more 1/72 bits and bobs.

Every good urban RPG adventure needs some town guards. These HaT Seven Years War Austrians fit the bill nicely - and there are grenadiers, officers with halberds and spontoons, and a mounted commander to go with them. I envisage these guys turning up variously to save the day, curtail the PCs' activities or arrest them. And, as I'll be using the 1/72 stuff for Dragon Rampant too, 12 of these guards will make a nice unit of Heavy Missiles with Venomous shooting.

Then there's an adventurer - a Strelets bashi-bazouk. The bashi-bazouks are as close to D&D adventurers as history gets, I think: genuine murderhobos paid only in plunder. And these figures, with their mixture of swords, pistols and muskets, are just perfect for Into the Odd PCs.

Finally, there's a Reaper Bones stone golem - something for the PCs to encounter deep underground, I suspect. I thought about doing his vambraces and headgear in bronze, but he's OK as is and - obviously - took no time at all to paint.