Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Images of Irish Pike Men at Kinsale  (Read 837 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Images of Irish Pike Men at Kinsale
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:49:57 AM »
I've just posted some images of Irish Pike Men on my blog.  They come from the big contemporary painting that hangs in Dublin Castle.  I thought they'd be of interest especially to those engaged in conversions for the period.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline Gaz

• Student
Re: Images of Irish Pike Men at Kinsale
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 07:34:49 AM »
Thanks OB, more excellent evidence for how these soldiers were kitted out. These troops seem remarkably uniform in appearance, which would back up the written accounts on how well equipped O'Neill's troops were.

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
Agreed, was really interesting. Worth people checking out.

Gaz, seems like your pike conversions are pretty spot on then. I might go and get a box of those Perry European Mercenaries. From what I can see less than half have a gambeson/aketon on them so green stuff required.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 10:49:28 AM »
We don't know who painted the Kinsale diorama but it's accuracy seems beyond serious dispute.  It was an expensive commission and if the artist wasn't at the battle he was surrounded by people who had been there.  We can take it that at this stage of the War that's how at least some Irish pike men looked.

I think Gaz's figure in the morion looks just right.

My next two posts will be the Battle of Aldfrick and one on 15mm conversions of Irish targeteers.

I'm looking forward to seeing both you guys finished conversions.