Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:55:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Foray into Necromunda (Pics of the Delaque gang WIP)  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Re: Foray into Necromunda (Pics of the Delaque gang WIP)
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:02:46 PM »
Every since I got into this hobby back in 2007, I have 'consciously avoided' GW. Apart from a paint pot now and then, I haven't been interested in their products, I think it has to do with their obsessive and excessive use of skull motifs, that really doesn't appeal to me. Besides, I am a skirmish player and not interested in making huge armies.

That said, up until a few weeks ago I was minding my business as usual when I happened to see an image of a painted Delaque gang (the new plastics). Something inside me awoke at this point and I thought 'MUST HAVE!'. Digging a little further I found out about Necromunda and have now procured the starter box and a Delaque gang, which I aim to paint up in the coming couple of weeks. I go to a local gaming club here in town when I can so have a couple of interested parties to play a few games with.

My experience so far:

As this is the first time I deal with GW kit, I am for the most part very satisfied with it. The parts fit very nicely together and tons of costumising options. The only slight niggle I have is that I found some of the arms/ hands on the Delaque kit quite fiddly to put together but got there in the end. One of the Escher gangers lost her hairdo and I found it too fiddly to get another one in place, so plonked a spare Delaque ganger head on instead out of spite and frustration ;).

The plastic is nice and sturdy with nice details, looking forward to painting up the Goliaths, Escher and Delaque gangs. Have sorted out a colour scheme for the most part.

The scenery is nice although it took me some time to get it painted up, mostly because they are large pieces and there's quite a few of them. I base coated them in matt silver spray paint from Poundland, slapped some dark and strong Armypainter washes on, drybrushed with Armypainter Shining Silver and finally drybrushed some Armypainter Dry Rust effect on. I am quite pleased with how they turned out, only looking to have some paint slapped on gaming pieces as I don't like playing with boring grey plastic  :D.

I have started to use an acrylic palette and I think it has made an improvement for the better in my painting, so that's something I will continue to use.

Comments and advice are of course welcome,

Legionnaire
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:26:59 PM by Legionnaire »
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: Foray into Necromunda (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
Looking good.
One of the best gw washes I have used is carroburg crimson.
It can be used on red stuff, human flesh, ork flesh, leather, wood , metal etc & it dries matt .
You can add darker streaks to the terrain( a simple black wash) in the recesses to make it pop out .
Keep it up.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
Re: Foray into Necromunda (with pictures)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:21:32 PM »
Looking good.
One of the best gw washes I have used is carroburg crimson.
It can be used on red stuff, human flesh, ork flesh, leather, wood , metal etc & it dries matt .
You can add darker streaks to the terrain( a simple black wash) in the recesses to make it pop out .
Keep it up.

Z

Thank you for the kind words. I mostly use Armypainter's Mega paint set with the odd GW paint pot thrown in, because I find AP works very well for me. With an abundance of skull motifs, I plan to avoid any gory red in the project. Yes, I could do another black wash, but I am pretty happy with the result so far.

Legionnaire

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
Most of today was spent painting up the Delaque gang. I think my painting is improving but I'm not very fast so all in all this has probably taken me around 7-8 hours with breaks. I have only put the base colour and a wash on, and at this stage I discovered that I somehow had missed to paint two straps on one of the gangers, annoying  >:(!!

Tomorrow I will attempt some highlights and clean up, but all in all, pretty satisfied with my effort.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
I got excited about Necromunda and bought the starter set. Unfortunately I lost interest after painting the Goliaths. I just seem to remember spending a month painting all the little details and then going back over them again to touch any mistakes. I am happy how they turned out and will someday paint the Eschers when I figure I have a month to spare. :) I have not touched the terrain yet either.

I have more photos on my Blog if you are interested.

https://wadesworldofwargaming.blogspot.com/2018/12/goliath-gang-necromunda.html

My mate has bought the Orlocks but has not finished painting them yet.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
I got excited about Necromunda and bought the starter set. Unfortunately I lost interest after painting the Goliaths. I just seem to remember spending a month painting all the little details and then going back over them again to touch any mistakes. I am happy how they turned out and will someday paint the Eschers when I figure I have a month to spare. :) I have not touched the terrain yet either.

I have more photos on my Blog if you are interested.

https://wadesworldofwargaming.blogspot.com/2018/12/goliath-gang-necromunda.html

My mate has bought the Orlocks but has not finished painting them yet.

They did turn out very nicely though, well done indeed. But I see where you are coming from. I on the other hand, am mostly interested in getting some paint on the figures because I don't like playing with 'grey' plastic. All in all, I probably spent about 10hrs in total on the Delaque gang (roughly 1hr on each miniature).