Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Galactic Heroes - Dr Who and the Daleks  (Read 1080 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Galactic Heroes - Dr Who and the Daleks
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
Had a fun game of Galactic Heroes pitching the Doctor versus the Daleks.

More pictures and AAR on the blog.
https://nozzawargaming.blogspot.com/2019/10/dr-who-and-daleks-galactic-heroes-aar.html

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Galactic Heroes - Dr Who and the Daleks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
Nice. I see you went for the War Doctor - can't say I've seen him in action much. Great report, thank you.  :)

Keep meaning to pick up some Gallifrey Guards myself, but can't decide on whether to go for the possibly huge and skinny Warlord ones or the possibly never delivered Black Tree ones....

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
Yeah, the War Doctor only appeared in the 50th anniversary episode, but he had his own set of adventures with Big Finish.

Made sense for this adventure.

I've avoided the Warlord range (except for the 13th Doctor) as it's out of scale with anything else I own. Black Tree (or whatever they're called now) have got their act together and I had no qualms ordering from them.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
"Black Tree (or whatever they're called now) have got their act together and I had no qualms ordering from them."

Recently? Only I could do with ordering some stuff, I just can't face the usual palaver cajoling them into shipping...

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
Fun AAR, Nozza. It's always nice to see more Dr Who goodness hereabouts! I hope you'll post about how your second outing goes - it would be interesting to see how things play out the next time.

As regards BTD, I'm guessing you're all based in England or Europe, so this may not be much help, but I've heard that the US branch of BTD is much, much more reliable than the UK bunch. Seems silly, but you might want to give them a try?

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 08:34:57 PM »
I like GH for the Daleks  makes a great  game, wonderful post

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 08:41:26 AM »
Very interesting AAR. What do you think about the "Out of Action" result (9-10) in the Wound Table? Is this too much for the game?

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
Very interesting AAR. What do you think about the "Out of Action" result (9-10) in the Wound Table? Is this too much for the game?

It can be brutal - but that's where good tactics and the right attributes help.

Also, if replicating well known characters from sci-fi, it can be quite galling that they aren't as powerful in the relative medium. For example, we thought it was too easy to take out Jedi/Sith characters, so we ended up adding extra attributes or letting them use a D16 instead of a D12.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »
You can always use some of the traits: "9 Lives" is a good one to give a leader as it will negate the first out of action roll against him, or make him "Lucky" and force a re-roll.

Don't forget Veterans roll their hits on a D12, but  ordinary figures will only use a D10 and Grunts/Henchmen will roll for damage on a D8 so are unlikely to get the 9 or 10 out of action roll.

Great idea to use FFOL GH for Dr Who, it just goes to show how versatile these rules can be.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing