Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Pulp endeavors of TSG.  (Read 6404 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
The Pulp endeavors of TSG.
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
Hi all,
This is a slightly self indulgent and functional thread. It's going to be my only Pulp thread so it'll include builds and painted stuff.
As I said its slightly self indulgent as I was taking photos of commissions.When I thought I'd use a card plane as a back drop .Opened the draw to find a ball hammer nestled amongst the carnage (fostering is such fun ! My own fault really  lol.Should clarify it wasn't willful just clumsy fingers and the desire to hide what you thought you'd get in trouble for hense a hastily hidden hammer  ::))So I've spent much of the morning superglueing .
Which is why I've decided to do the thread.
First up flying things
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:06:39 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Pulp endeavors of TSG.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:56:27 PM »
More flying things

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
Floaty boaty things.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
Snow things and walking things.

The cupboard with the car's and figures escape attention.So I'll pop them on some time later.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
That's an amazing body of work! It's inspiring!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »
A reminder that almost the entirety of that lot was made from cereal box cardboard.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 07:38:39 AM »
A phenomenal collection of very imaginative things.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
Cheers ,
I've quite a selection of armoured cars and six lorries. In fact I gave Ewan a Rolls Royce for his VBCW games and the Sarissa chateaux in its own grounds. as I'd run out of space. Now I've all four Austin 7's and the new civillian staff car painted which means I've still no space.
If I'm honest I've still planes sat on the work top from these photos as I can't quite for the life of me remember how to fit them all back in the draw.
And..
I'm now building another rocket ship from a Pringles tube. So I'll have even less room.(I'll add more pictures soon as its little more than the pointed Pringles tin with fins at the moment.)
Plus a load of motorcycle combinations I've not painted and a 1930's town slowly taking shape.
Plus a few follies vehicles.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 10:20:35 PM »
The Austin 7's are brilliant.

Question on the tarpaulin  on the truck sides, is that a casting or a scratch built tarp. I've tried doing tarps out of fine cotton and they look ok but coase,  I can't get those sorts of folds in the material.

I'm only after wargaming standard so it needs to be quick and easy.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
Incredible work :o

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »
Technically both.
It's two castings of my sculpt. ;)
With the exception of the ertl money boxes and the Smer walrus(pilot ,interior,and weapons all me)Everything on here is me pretending I know what I'm doing.
Not out of ego or vanity. Just practicality I simply run out of time after painting my stuff for ad's and to figure out if it worked they way I thought it would.So I use my own work because its already painted and here.
That said pretty much all of my fantasy stuff is commercial stuff.It just so happens my own work is enough for my Pulp needs simply because its here.
Plus I've three at University so I've never any spare cash.  ::)
As for making tarpaulin avoid fabric like the plague you simply cannot scale it down.It won't behave in the same way as you need.
The same with ordinary paper. Tissue paper over formers such as cones and triangles.The trick is not to glue the paper simply use water in a misting spray bottle and gently soak the tissue allowing it to do its thing as it softens and takes to the formers under its own weight.Then speed dry with a hair dryer .It stops warping in absorbent surfaces.Then trim the ends /edges to you desired shape.(don't try to start with a definite shape to the tarpaulin as it'll never quite look as you want it to.)

Cheers Dan.
I'll chuck a few more bits on soon

Mark.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 02:07:24 AM »
Great to see all of this fun stuff again  :-* :-* You are making it hard to resist those great trucks!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 04:03:04 AM »
Well that's just bloody fantastic :D
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 05:55:33 AM »
Solution to storage situation: Switch to the marvelous world of 15 mm!   lol  Well, it is a an idea to consider.

Sincerely hope no convulsions, no palpatations, nor other untoward events resulted from this response.   :o

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
Technically both.
It's two castings of my sculpt. ;)
With the exception of the ertl money boxes and the Smer walrus(pilot ,interior,and weapons all me)Everything on here is me pretending I know what I'm doing.
Not out of ego or vanity. Just practicality I simply run out of time after painting my stuff for ad's and to figure out if it worked they way I thought it would.So I use my own work because its already painted and here.
That said pretty much all of my fantasy stuff is commercial stuff.It just so happens my own work is enough for my Pulp needs simply because its here.
Plus I've three at University so I've never any spare cash.  ::)
As for making tarpaulin avoid fabric like the plague you simply cannot scale it down.It won't behave in the same way as you need.
The same with ordinary paper. Tissue paper over formers such as cones and triangles.The trick is not to glue the paper simply use water in a misting spray bottle and gently soak the tissue allowing it to do its thing as it softens and takes to the formers under its own weight.Then speed dry with a hair dryer .It stops warping in absorbent surfaces.Then trim the ends /edges to you desired shape.(don't try to start with a definite shape to the tarpaulin as it'll never quite look as you want it to.)

Cheers Dan.
I'll chuck a few more bits on soon

Mark.

Mark thanks for the insight, I've tried kitchen roll soaked in pva and it was a nightmare to use and gave an appalling finish, never thought to use a mister. Once its taken shape and dried do you fix it with glue or something to harden it?
I just posted a covered waggon on the western forum and I used thin cotton from an old pair of boxer shorts, glued in place on the struts but I coated it inside with pva to try and make it rigid without clogging the cotton texture on the outside. Its ok but not great although to be honest I'm quite pleased with it.
Cheers