Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KGL Light battalions  (Read 1091 times)

Offline William Bath 2

• Schoolboy
KGL Light battalions
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:34:25 AM »
I am interested in putting a British force together for the Walcheren campaign and need to know did the KGL Light battalions have uniforms the same as the 95th Rifle?

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
Re: KGL Light battalions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »
I believe the two KGL light battalions wore uniforms that were very similar to those of the 95th (Rifles) and the 5th/60th (Royal Americans), except that the KGL wore standard grey trousers rather than the dark green trousers of the 95th.

See the Mont Saint Jean site for 1815: http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_uniteBR.php?uniformes=42&nation=2

I am no uniform expert. I just thought your question deserved an answer. I suspect there were minor differences, and I think some of the KGL light infantry may have carried muskets rather than rifles.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:30:03 PM »
I used these by Warlord

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
Yes, essentially the same, though two-thirds of the men had muskets rather than rifles, plus associated kit (bayonet scabbard instead of sword-bayonet, etc).  The most noticeable uniform difference (aside from the grey trousers mentioned above) was that the KGL lacked the white piping seen on the rankers' uniforms of the 95th. 

There were some minor differences between the two battalions in details of headgear (hackles and cords) and shoulder-ornaments:

The 1st Battalion had black shoulder-wings (silver for officers) and green woollen hackles on its shakos (some sources say black hackles).  No shako cords.  Buglers had red facings, edged black, with red wings (black shoulder-strap) and hackle.  Some sources say no shako-cords, while others say black or green (matching the hackle colour).  White metal buttons and cap-badges.

The 2nd Battalion had black shoulder-tufts instead of wings, like the 95th.  The hackles were green and apparently spherical pom-poms, though some sources suggest that this was a later (1815?) adaptation.  Shako cords were definitely worn and were either green or black (sources differ).  Buglers again wore red facings, edged black, though with green hackles.  Buttons and cap-badges were again white metal.  Officers are recorded as wearing a shako 'mirliton-style', with folded-up peak, gold cords and gold cockade with a green feather plume.  One recorded version of officers' grey trousers shows green side-stripes and 'spear-points' on the thighs.

As mentioned, sources vary quite widely, so don't get too hung up about the details.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline William Bath 2

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:50:44 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies. I will be using AB miniatures so I will go with the 95th models.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »
The Napoleonic era is annoyingly imprecise about uniform details. There's so much information sometimes, too much even because it's often contradictory, and then sometimes there's an absence of information. Uniform regulations seem to have changed so much over such a short period of time, but delays in getting new uniforms to troops on campaign, plus the whim of colonels and supply issues means it's just all so annoyingly fuzzy.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
There's so much information sometimes, too much even because it's often contradictory,

Ain't that the truth!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies. I will be using AB miniatures so I will go with the 95th models.
You can also happily mix in AB Light Infantry figures for the musket-armed blokes.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »
The Napoleonic era is annoyingly imprecise about uniform details. There's so much information sometimes, too much even because it's often contradictory, and then sometimes there's an absence of information. Uniform regulations seem to have changed so much over such a short period of time, but delays in getting new uniforms to troops on campaign, plus the whim of colonels and supply issues means it's just all so annoyingly fuzzy.
Absolutely!  Also not helped by print-makers of the period who employed people to tint the prints and who often contradicted each other on the same print!

Offline PdMacMahon

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »

Also because of supply problems troops had to make due with whatever they could get hands on. So chances are that some French regiments stuck in Russia or Spain would have had a rather disjointed look. All in all it does have the advantage that you can pick and choose to a degree. Even moreso if you are willing to gloss over some things we do know.