Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: MacLAM 2020? Possible Scottish Wargame Meeting?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
MacLAM 2020? Possible Scottish Wargame Meeting?
« on: October 21, 2019, 06:29:14 AM »
So myself and my Brother are just back from another excellent BLAM weekend and, as usual, we've come back with too many stupid ideas! ;)

I should probably explain what BLAM is first(for those that don't know).

Every year, for the last 10-15(?) years, I group of like-minded souls have gotten together to play a few days worth of fast, fun and high quality games. From my experience of them, these have tended to be organised by the always excellent Malmute, Captain Blood, Matikishi and Eric the Shed in some pub function room or small school hall. As well as the organisers, participants have put on games ranging from Waterworld meets Necromunda to Robin Hood to Pirates. All fast, fun games that can regularly be completed within 2-3 hours per game. This allows for a wide variety of games to be played on a day. Unlike normally Wargames shows, these days tend to be by invite only. This allows the organisers to know the number of people coming AND the number of games/tables to run so that no one is left floating around doing nothing. It's also definately NOT a tournament games day. ALL games are played in the spirit of fun and not solely about winning!

So in the spirit of BLAM, myself and Gamer Mac were thinking of holding a smaller event closer to home(BLAM as always been London based) and we were looking to see if there was a possible interest?

Now nothing has been set in stone yet. Everything is still open for discussion.

I'm looking first of all to see if enough people would come. I'm also looking for ideas of venues we could use(We had a previous trial run in a function room at Mugdock Park) and possible dates when to have it.

As for number of attendees, BLAM has traditionally been between 30-40 people. This has allowed for, around, 6 games of 5 people playing. Always by invite only, so we can guarantee we don't have too many or too little people on the day. This is all usually confirmed and we all split the cost of the venue between us all.

Venues can be anywhere. Scout halls, pub function room, you name it. Price is important though. We tried to book a function room in Summerlee Hertitage Park previously and got told we'd be £600 for a single day.

And lastly dates. There's a lot goes on in the wargaming calendar, when's the best time?

I'd love everyone's feedback!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:06:55 AM by Andym »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: MacLAM 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »
Would love to attend mate and working for myself will make that a damn sights easier  :)

No idea as to when to suggest, it’ll probably revolve around school holidays?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Re: MacLAM 2020
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
Count me in. Happy to help with the event and putting on a game :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: MacLAM 2020? Possible Scottish Wargame Meeting?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
Dates permitting Andy, I’d be keen to come up for that  :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »
We also need to discuss a few other things
Number of days?
Are we better just going for a single day event?
Or two or three days
Car parking at location
Access to public transport

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
Aye aye,
I'd be up for that. I've wanted to go to Blam but not quite made it yet.

Perhaps arrive someplace the night before and have an all day session then home in the evening?

Hotels usually want a contract and deposits for a function room, which can be pain, (I'm currently organising an event, with accom, food, and the room itself and have to chase up 20+ gamers for roughly £4K - that's a fair bit of organising and running about). Smaller hotels and private clubs (bowling/golf, etc) seem to be a bit more flexible on that side of things.

Location - Perth perhaps? (Decent road links from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Oban and about as equally distant as possible from each. Rail options too and plenty hotels roundabout).

As for dates I suggest not clashing with a Scottish show but other than that you'll never get a date that pleases everyone.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
Dates permitting Andy, I’d be keen to come up for that  :)

Would always do my best to come up and support you chaps. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
Cracking idea, I'm happy to be involved helping again if you'd like. It could be an excuse to have an organisers meeting followed by a game or two.

Number of days?
Or two or three days
Car parking at location

Number of days? I'd suggest that for people to come from England/Germany/Ireland then a couple of days might be better. If you are more keen for something to definitely run then one day.

I agree with your points with regards to car parking at the venue, access to public transport, cheap hotels and pubs/restaurants for the evening.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
Count me in. Happy to help with the event and putting on a game :)

Good show mate! Much appreciated!

Number of days?
Or two or three days
Car parking at location

Number of days is probably dependant on who comes. If it's only us locals, a single day would be enough. Any interest from our UK cousins or further afield it needs to be worth their valuable time/money.

Location- if we're organising, some place nearer us is better. The fact that we both live equal distance away from Glasgow AND Edinburgh airports anyone flying has 2 choices.

Aye aye,
I'd be up for that. I've wanted to go to Blam but not quite made it yet.

Perhaps arrive someplace the night before and have an all day session then home in the evening?

Hotels usually want a contract and deposits for a function room, which can be pain, (I'm currently organising an event, with accom, food, and the room itself and have to chase up 20+ gamers for roughly £4K - that's a fair bit of organising and running about). Smaller hotels and private clubs (bowling/golf, etc) seem to be a bit more flexible on that side of things.

Location - Perth perhaps? (Decent road links from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Oban and about as equally distant as possible from each. Rail options too and plenty hotels roundabout).

As for dates I suggest not clashing with a Scottish show but other than that you'll never get a date that pleases everyone.

We weren't thinking of booking hotels for people. That would be too much of a financial commitment for us. Imagine a couple of people pulled out, we'd be left with the bill! I'd love to offer that, but I don't have the money I'm afraid. People would have to book their own accommodation, buddy.

Nights(or even days) out could be organised nearer the time or once we've definately got interest.

Dates probably to avoid-

Salute April 18th
Carronade May 9th
Glasgow Games Gathering June 27th
Claymore August 4th(?)

Cracking idea, I'm happy to be involved helping again if you'd like. It could be an excuse to have an organisers meeting followed by a game or two.

Sounds like a good idea, mate.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Sounds like a plan.... work dependant (which is a bit of a killer at the moment), I’d love to come along

:)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
I could well be able to make that.  :)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 10:05:01 PM »
People would have to book their own accommodation, buddy.

My point was just that, it's way too much hassle. Concentrate on finding a decent central venue. Anything else is the attendee's business.  :)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »
Count me in and happy to share wisdom of blam organisation

Biggest piece of advice get the numbers and cash up front to pay for venue :)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »
Wonderful idea. I think there will be flights to Scotland from Hamburg. Only date saved is last weekend of February for Tactica in Hamburg.

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »
The other decent sized show in Scotland is Targe in November, and there's Skelp in October.

More than happy to attend, I have a game planned to tout around the various Scottish shows next year, but if you don't mind seeing it again I am sure I can make it to Perth.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---