Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the Kalmar union wars  (Read 2680 times)

Offline the scott

• Assistant
the Kalmar union wars
« on: October 21, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
Hi lads I am looking for information about the Kalmar union wars in English with good pictures and the like of the main players colours and livery yours Andrew

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: the Kalmar union wars
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »
The man to talk to is Michael Leck- only I've forgotten his Username!!  o_o

Someone reading this will know.....

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
That’ll be Dalauppror

You can find his blog here: dalauppror.blogspot.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
That’ll be Dalauppror

You can find his blog here: dalauppror.blogspot.com

That's the one! Weird how I couldn't remember his forum name but knew his actual name!  o_o

His blog is excellent and well worth taking some time out and giving it a good read.  8)

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
I know about him and his fantastic blog that is where I got my idea from as it is about the same time as the war of the roses and l love the period as l can play some what if games yours Andrew

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 06:34:55 AM »
Great, I suggest you drop Michael a line, I'm sure he has some suggestions on litterature in english.
On heraldry you can start here: http://www.danbbs.dk/~stst/slaegt_adelsvaaben/0_adelsvaaben.htm

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:42 AM »
Direct link to all of Michael Leck's Kalmar Union posts on his Blog:

https://dalauppror.blogspot.com/search/label/Kalmar%20Union%20War

It's all amazing stuff so please get stuck into it  8)

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
Hi all thank you for your help just got to find the main players who there in the field around 1450 to 1485 lots to work with and with l have seen they liked spaer and bill there the weapons of choice there are some funny helmets I have seen also . Thanks again for your time and help yours Andrew

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »
So I'm a history teacher, not an expert on this period at all. I did however do alittle bit of digging around Swedish wiki for names.

For Sweden, the King for a several chunks of your desired period is Karl Knutsson from the noble family Bonde. After him followed Sten Sture the Elder, as riksmarsalk rather than King. Notable families besides Bonde and Sture are Bielke, Oxenstierna, Tott, Trolle, Vasa and the dramatically named Natt och Dag (Sten Sture the younger is apparently a member of Natt och Dag as opposed to Sture). You should be able to find family insignia for all of them, but individual coats of arms for their members looks trickier.

As far as weapons go, I think you are right on spears and bills. When we cover this period in school curriculum, there are many mentions of peasant armies and never got the impression they were pikemen. Crossbows figure in a lot of the artwork from slightly later, Gustav Vasa's wars. From memory there were also many German mercenaries involved, what with close connections to the Hansa.

Several years ago I visited the city museum of Visby, and I remember seeing brigandines or coats of plates in their finds from the battles there. This would be earlier than your period, but maybe still used?

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
Thanks for that l will be looking for them tonight. I have a large war of the roses army and was looking at them for the figures to feild as the bill can be pressed into service that or the front rank figures from the hundred years war what are your thoughts on this yours Andrew

Online Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
Clash of Empires from Field of Glory Renaissance have a good armylist for Kalmarunion and rebel Swedes as do Impetus Extra 3 (I think its nr. 3). As already mentioned here the Swedes should be made up primeraly of mixed crossbow/billmen units with smaller contignents of mounted knights. The Danes have mixed units as well from their national levy but are primerally made up of German pikearmed mercs and plenty of mounted heavy knight both national and German.

There is a good contemperary picture from the battle at Old Älvsborg Castle in 1502, Västerg�nd, Sweden. It shows just this composition of footsoldiers.

Michael Leck uses the some units in his Kalmarunion Battles. We have played som battles using Hails Caesar and Michaels unit stats. From experience the power of long range in the mixed units should be lessened some what. Otherwise the mix of combat and heavy shooting is just to damned good.

As to Michael blog name. It means Rebellion (uppror) in Dalarna (area in Sweden). Rebellious Swedish nobles could always find support for their cause in the Dalarna region and the fighting men from Dallarna were called Dalarkaler and always fought harder than everyone else. In Field of Glory they have Dalarna units represented as elite units.

I do believe Michael is from Dalarna.

A few years back we fought a great game centered on the Kalmarunion Wars. You can find it here:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=106281.msg1324484#msg1324484

Cheers
Erik

Online Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
I use Perry WOTR and 1450-1550 mercs. for the mixed infantry. Michael actually had a say in shaping the onion helmets in the light cavalry box. It also has Scandinavian flag in it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
You've got to love the guy eating a spear at the front middle (right) of that image  lol lol lol

His next trip to the dentists won't be to get his teeth whitened  lol

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 01:50:01 AM »
Hi all thanks for the huge help I have a date and a battle I will keep you posted yours Andrew

Offline the scott

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
Hi all I have just found some army list on the Kalmar union wars in the army lists from Impetvs vol 2 and vol 5 by dadi&piombo and fields of glory by ospery storm of arrows and oath of fealty its funny what you find when you start looking yours Andrew