Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689526
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plans to start gaming Rangers of Shadow Deep with my daughter.  (Read 777 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Plans to start gaming Rangers of Shadow Deep with my daughter.
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:21:49 PM »
After having heard much good about it, I have procured the RoSD rules. They are not a disappointment and seems to be exactly my cup of tea  :D. With a strong narrative, RPG-like stats and lots of flavour and customising options.

With no fantasy miniatures available (usually not my preferred genre) I have opted to go for Printable Heroes free paper standees for most part. I probably will have an Eldritch Knight as the miniature for my ranger, Jarlorian 'Bitterleaf' Vijk. I have started to fluff out some background story for him:

Jarlorian Vijk is the eldest son of one of the noble families in the area. Ever since he was a child he has had a serious attitude to life, many regard him as a boring sour faced git. He knows that people call him 'Bitterleaf' behind his back, but it doesn't bother him. Jarlorian is a cautious man and has a quiet reserved manner. Nevertheless, people tend to listen to him when he speaks up and any prospective bully soon learn a hard lesson in how dangerous Jarlorian is in a fight. Being of noble birth, he was sent off to be educated and returned much wiser, having concentrated on his studies instead of carousing like so many of his peers. A difficult man to make friends with, his pet falcon Alfrida is probably the closest companion he has. Even though he frequently can be seen in company of Magister Moeshe De Lune who is his private tutor and advisor, a middle aged man who is a fountain of knowledge. After the Shadow Deep appeared on the border, one of the young serfs, Damian Krahl, has attached himself to Master Vijk, despite Vijk's protestations. The lad has nagged him endlessly to take him with him on his adventures and have the most annoying habit of considering anything locked and bolted to be worthy of his attention.

So, stat wise, Jarlorian is given Fight 3 and Will 5. Halt Undead and Deadly Strike. The spells Enchant Steel, Heal and Smoke. With 3 BP invested in skills he tops out at Leadership 3, Perception 3 and Stealth 3, with several 2's.

His 3 companions are:

Moeshe De Lune (Arcanist) Ancient Lore 8, Read Runes 5

Alfrida (Raptor) Perception 7

Damian Krahl (Recruit and aspiring burglar) Pick Lock 3

I have no idea what my daughter will pick, but I'm sure there'll be a dog there somewhere :).

Looking forward to giving it a whirl, having skimmed through the first several scenarios to get an idea of what is needed.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"