Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 110900 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2019, 11:29:28 PM »
Scenes of the street fighting during the Disiplinati di Morr's seizure of Remas. They launched their attacks simultaneously, taking the city quarter by quarter from the noble families' militia ...

My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2019, 07:51:43 AM »
Thanks again for posting these.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2019, 09:25:36 AM »
As the city is seized, reports come in to the Disciplinati's Admonitor at the ruins of Tragustan’s Forum

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »
Questioning the prisoners (before their death and resurrection!!)

The next pair I am proud of. How often can one make a lead miniature actually move?

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Such a creativity!!

One can only imagine what a joy it must be for the players in your campaign!  :o
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »
Repairs after recapture.

First, the one that 'worked' ...

And now the ones I needed to tell the story ...

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »
Excellent attention to detail!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
A lot of stuff like this happens by accident. Like the last scene. I had made the rubble filled wooden board defences as scenery for the army of the VMC's assault on Monte Castello. The castle had been taken by Khurnag's Waagh! and their war engines had badly damaged the walls. The wooden defences were what the goblins had cobbled together to 'repair' the gaps - partly nailed, partly tied with rope, wholly unsuitable for defence against gunpowder artillery!

But then the VMC player decided to negotiate with the goblins left inside, and lured them out without having to fight. So, loads of scenery made for nothing, I thought. Except, I used it in the scenes of the parley (when the goblins come out of the castle) and then I used them again for these story scenes to show the VMC's labourers beginning the work of repairing the castle properly.

This way I got some use out of the stuff I had built. And the story (a conversation) was fun to write, being a means to impart campaign information in a story form.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2019, 11:16:40 PM »
It does look like the dream campaign to take part in.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2019, 12:11:10 AM »
Very cool. You have a very eclectic variety of manufacturers- they work well together.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
The mighty tyrant Mangler talks with his butcher during his grand chevauchee ...

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
Very atmospheric!

How does the campaign work? Do the players tell you their actions over the internet?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2019, 10:17:51 AM »
I have 6 players, 4 local and 2 removed at some distance. They differ in many ways - some have armies, some don't (and so use mine). Some are full on hobbyists who have RPd and wargamed for decades, some only play this campaign and have only gamed through me before. Some come to mine or local shops to play, some only with their own armies, but several are very happy to command NPC forces too. My Portomaggioran player, Damo, for example, is a good player, a good tactician, and always tries to win battles (or, achieve whatever objective I have secretly revealed the NPC wants) when he commands NPC armies. This means I can GM, photograph, write notes and be a host without trying to game as well. When I have to command also, then I tend to be a bit rubbish at it because I have so much else to do!

Some of my players don't really read the stories in detail at all, others go so far as help me create them by telling me their character's words or actions to allow the story to unfold. The latter do not always do this, however, as there is a strategic element to the game, of course, and so they do not want to reveal intentions, motivations and plans to their enemies. This is why a whole host of non-player characters act is dramatis personae in the stories. One player, who I had met only once before at a reenactment event, read the whole thread in great detail, then I asked him to take command of the newly emergent skaven!

The ways I communicate are different too. One player I meet for a pint in the pub, carrying maps and notes with me. Another I telephone and then confirm with e-mails. Most I e-mail and message, or talk during and after games.

The NPCs are fully active and interactive, but I do not make up stuff for them as a GM or decide what they will do. Instead I roll dice to determine (based on their previous character and their current situation) how they feel (brave? reckless? cautious? etc  on a scale) then I create a chart of options for their next actions and roll. I always stick with the result, even if I think another result would have been more exciting or fun, that way the world feels more real to me too, and not just in my head!  Often I include a 1-in 6 chance to do something else. if I roll that then I have to come up with much wackier options and roll between them. This has led to some interesting decisions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:17:41 AM by Padrissimus »

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
The Reman Captain General Duke Scaringella at the head of his small army ...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
Capitano Mazallini reviewing a regiment of the Compagnia del Sol outside a temple to 'The Three' (being the holy trinity of Morr, Myrmidia and Mercopio) ...