Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any comments on how Mortal Gods plays?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Any comments on how Mortal Gods plays?
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:59:01 AM »
Just too many rules to buy.  I fully intend to get Clash of Spears once this comes out, but thought Mortal Gods could use the same figures.  Although it covers the same period, more or less, it looks to play very differently.  Both games look to be a lot of fun. 
There are few game reports for Mortal Gods.
Can anyone comment on how these rules play?

Offline pallard

• Librarian
Re: Any comments on how Mortal Gods plays?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
Ethelred
I played three or four games of Mortal Gods and liked it a lot. I just took some time to check every details of the rules in the right place, but each one is straightforward and simple. It plays well and definitely is clever. I can tell you that it is indeed well researched, for instance I was surprised to see promachoi seconding the lochagoi, until I read confirmation in academic books: these were actual people of notice in the phalanx, followers of heroic examples.
I think that you play in a mood slightly closer to some king of heroic self-inspiring greek psyche than to a more external and historical way like in Clash of Spears if I figure it right. It is therefore a subjective historical game, and that suits me as long as you keep in the hellenic sphere (be it slightly bent towards western persians or Thrakians). I hope this is clear for you, my english would be at fault if not.
The game puts you in the small end of hoplite clashes, not exactly pure skirmishes as your force centers on hoplites precisely, but individualistic enough.
I strongly recommand the rules for their ease of play, tense atmosphere to the end, and historical as well as epic story-telling capacity. I'm curious to see if you'll agree and what will be your comments.
Philippe

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention the Omen rules! This is mostly where the psyche goes wildly greek! You'll be encountering some nice or very dirty tricks from, well, the Gods mind you, as remember, your are a son of the sophists, or ephors or whatever raised you at polis!
You can adjust maybe slightly the scope of this upper influence, because it can be quite overwhelming sometimes, but all in all this is great fun and makes your plans complicated at times. Funny enough!

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »
Hi Philippe.
Your comments reflect what I have seen elsewhere.
How do the cards function?  Do they just tell you the unit's stats or do they also help drive the game?
A lot of my gaming is solo.  Certain game mechanisms tend to make some games better for solo play than others.  Do you think this is a game that allows a decent solo game?  The mechanisms for Clash of Spears seems less suited to solo gaming (for me).

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »
Ethelred
the cards support the action and damage markers so that you drive your force out of them first, then with the figures. You have special information on them and you add to them the omen, gifts and injury cards to complete their scope in play.
I only play solitaire so don't worry: it works solo!
I found that to have a mantis figure (or at least to have one Hero with the Gods'phone number) will help A LOT sometimes, depending on said Gods mood.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 09:34:42 PM »
I really like Mortal Gods. It's a fun and tactical game. I like the movement  trays. We play around 350 points per warband. I am also planning to play Clash of Spears. So both will be the historical rulesets my group plays.

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
I've started to collect my thoughts in an ongoing series for TabletopGamesUK -
https://tabletopgamesuk.co.uk/2019/08/27/mortal-gods-skirmish-clashes-in-classical-greece/

Having been a bit sceptical on release, I've really been taken by this set of rules. Relatively straightforward to learn and pick up, fast, and importantly fun.

You create a warband of figures using the cards provided which have all of the stats and points costs on them. These provide reference during play and you can put things like wound counters here to save them troubling the aesthetic of the table if thats your thing.

Its a simple dice mechanic using custom dice. You are normally looking for sword icons for successes in attack and associated actions and shields in defence. You don't have to try and remember tables to cross reference numbers, just roll a number of dice and look for successes.

There's an alternative activation system pulling chits from a bag. This is added to with the inclusion of omen counters which trigger events from your omen deck. Things like changes in weather or apparent benefits from the Gods themselves.

As mentioned above, there's been a great deal of research put into the game to give a Hellenistic flavour. It's not intended to be a detailed simulation or recreation. Instead, a means to have heroic exploits on the table. I've found during play that the dice rolls can appear to swing outcomes at critical moments. For a tournament player or the likes, this may be aggravating but if you play in the spirit intended I think its loads of fun. 

Definitely one of my go to games at the moment.

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 01:47:38 AM »
I apologize for being that guy, but Hellenistic refers to the period of Alexander and his successors, Hellenic refers to the period before Alexander.

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »
I apologize for being that guy, but Hellenistic refers to the period of Alexander and his successors, Hellenic refers to the period before Alexander.

Ahh!  You are that guy! lol
Go and boil your buttocks, young man! ;D

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »
 lol

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »
Would you believe me if I said the mistake was down to my phone autocorrrecting Hellenic to Hellenistic?..

No?

Nah, me neither.