Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Which Rules for French & Indian Wars?  (Read 2495 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
Which Rules for French & Indian Wars?
« on: October 27, 2019, 04:08:45 AM »
I planning a move into FIW figures and games and assume that FIW rules are generally skirmish rules, based on the terrain and nature of the conflicts.  I have never played this type of rules after many years of gaming big battles in 6mm or 1/72.

After looking around on this forum and elsewhere, I realized I was rather clueless about FIW and skirmish rules. Are they small unit based? Individual figures?  I am hoping people here could give me some ideas.  Much thanks, RB

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Which Rules for French & Indian Wars?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
Two sets spring to mind: Sharpe Practice and Muskets and Tomahawks.

My preference is M&T, as I enjoy the mechanics, simple and easy to pick up. It’s designed for the F&IW as well.

Unit sizes are six figures for Indian and militia going up to ten to twelve figures for regulars. We play games with between 30-60 figures per side.

The only problem you will have today is the rules are out of production and hard to find. Although a second edition is being published next year.

For figures I am a fan of Galloping Major. Beautiful 28mm sculpts and they have most troop types covered with French regulars scheduled for early next year I believe.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »
I second Muskets and Tomahawks.
Easy to pick up the mechanics and use.
More figures are becoming available as well.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
Osprey's Rebels and Patriot rules, similar unit count to Muskets and Tomahawk but available now. :)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »
 Buckskins and Rangers. It will allow you to go as simple or as complex as you like. Here is the link:

http://www.battlefieldgamedesigns.com

Regards
Hitman
  8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
In complete agreement with Malumute here - I built my forces about 10 years ago, so had to piece the whole thing together using GM's then very small range, Crusader, Conquest (before they were acquired by WL) and Old Glory (hideous, most definitely some of the most "Hey Steve" of their ranges). If I were to do it now, I'd go with GM for everything.

Have played the period with both M&T and SP2. M&T is where I first became acquainted with Buchel's rules, one of his earliest published sets in English. They are very good, tho I have to say I've never played a TFL set that I didn't like, so have to give SP2 a very strong endorsement as well.

Two sets spring to mind: Sharpe Practice and Muskets and Tomahawks.

My preference is M&T, as I enjoy the mechanics, simple and easy to pick up. It’s designed for the F&IW as well.

Unit sizes are six figures for Indian and militia going up to ten to twelve figures for regulars. We play games with between 30-60 figures per side.

The only problem you will have today is the rules are out of production and hard to find. Although a second edition is being published next year.

For figures I am a fan of Galloping Major. Beautiful 28mm sculpts and they have most troop types covered with French regulars scheduled for early next year I believe.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:22:35 PM »
Completely agree with Mamelute. If you can get a hold of Muskets and Tomahawks it's a great rule set, creates brilliant narratives too. Sharp Practice 2 is also excellent (and readily available)

Also another endorsement for Galloping Major. They are so satisfying to paint. Wonderful figures.

AW miniatures also have a very nice FIW range, reasonably priced as well.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
Sounds like there’s an echo here - another endorsement for Sharp Practice as a great rule set for the period (with M&T close behind), and Galloping Major for 28mm figures.

One other possibility that looks good is to use 15/18mm figures (eg: Blue Moon), substituting a base of 3 x 15mm figures  for each 28mm, which might make storage of scenery rather less space-intensive!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »
While not specifically written for FIW, I use Donnybrook for my games, moves along very nicely.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
If you want to go even smaller with 1/2 dozen figures per side then in my opinion the best rules would be Fistful of Lead. Fantastic for individual figure games where you have a hero/leader and three or four followers. They have an F&IW supplement as well.

Glad I’m not the only one who loves m&T  lol

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
Muskets and Tomahawks here in Montreal.

I did modify mine to use King Philip's War by adding a longer reach weapon - pike, spear, sword - to reflect the earlier period.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »

Yikes - I looked at Old Glory and thought they had a lot of different figures for the period, were affordable, and were here in the states. Much as I love the look of GM, I thought OG would get me off to a faster start - they have canoes!  I am not sure what "Hey Steve" means, but it cannot be good! 

About how many figures might one need for a satisfying game using typical skirmish rules?

Muskets and Tomahawks  draws much praise here and elsewhere. I have tracked it down to Northstar as the distributor of the new 2nd edition, coming in early 2020, it seems. In the meantime, I may start with Sharp Practice, once I settle on figs, as its readily available and of long standing in this category. RB
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:47:49 PM by RobertBruce »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
30-60 figures per side should do you for M&T or SP2

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
Another vote for Rebels & Patriots, needs perhaps 50-70 figures per side. They have army lists that are suggestions rather than rules. As far as North American Indians/Native warriors, they have a cinematic treatment that tend to use large bands best for charging into melees. If you are seeking a more historical version, treat Indians as skirmishers. They could vary from veteran when defending their own lands to green when accompanying colonial/European troops as auxiliaries and mainly interested in loot, rather than being used for cannon fodder.

I would add a house rule that Indian warriors take a morale test when fired on by artillery.

The game moves quickly and the CO has a back story.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:39:41 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »
Start with Fistful of lead (they do a Black Powder version).
Use Galloping Major for figures. Nice figures & a very nice bloke (Lance)
As the entry level number of figures is low, you can get started very soon.
Then if you want to expand (paint more figures) move on to Rebels & Patriots.
I have played Muskets & Tomahawks, also Sharpe Practice Two, but prefer
Reb&Pats.