Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes:  (Read 23921 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
This thread continues to deliver! Love your work.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Thanks Rick. When I can get the right computer I will do a post about my kitbashed gorilla regiment.
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Online Elk101

• Elder God
The skaven palanquin is great. Very nicely executed.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
So many crazily good ideas in this thread. Very creative and well-executed!

couldn't agree more

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Armed Gorillas!
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »
Thanks Elk101, my LordOdo and the Bloggard. Kind words.

Now, for the honourable LordOdo's satisfaction, my gorilla Slann-Guard ...

35. Armed Gorillas!

After much searching and lots of frustration, I finally got myself some gorillas from Black Tree Design (listed as Fantasy - Monsters - page 2. See https://eoeorbisuk.com/collections/fantasy/products/m114-gorilla-2?variant=4539356163&fbclid=IwAR12flUhpXUh15tdYLaZ3LhjbezmB6kBpZ4Zq8skqFGblH3sljIU9yeA8Io)

I use these converted gorilla models as Saurus warriors in a Southlands 'counts as' Lizardmen army, as my Slann's bodyguard regiment.

I added home-made (plastic bits and real cotton thread) stone-age weapons by drilling through their hands and stuffing them in.

Sorry the pictures are fuzzy but back then I was rubbish with my camera, which was rubbish too! I think I used to use flash all the time and that didn't work well with bare metal.

I added the shields by drilling a hole in their left arms, then using pliers I jammed a piece of plastic sprue in so that it was very firmly stuck, then I shaved it flat so that I could use the resultant polystyrene spot on the surface to apply a blob of glue and stick the shield on!

Please refer to my apology above re: the shoddiness of the pictures!

Here are some older shots of the regiment ...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:01:55 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2020, 02:02:51 AM »
Fantastic! Better run off quick when they start beating their chests!

nice bit of improvisation to get the shields to hold ... plastic on metal still gives me trouble

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Forgot about this pic from an unrelated bat rep ... all gathered together in a castle's courtyard!

That is totally awesome.   :-*
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
Thanks syrinx0. Here are some more pics of my zombie pirates!

Bursting into Viadaza

Watching from the jungle river bank

Arrayed for battle on the beach

And in battle against living pirates (!)

(I don't reckon that mortar crew will last very long!)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: 1980's Horsemen
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
36. Converted Historical Normans

This is an unusual entry into the list, as these are some of the earliest conversions and kit-bashes I did, way back in the early 1980s. They are pretty rough and ready, but I doubt I could do any better now tbh.

I wanted some 'fantasy' horsemen, but for various reasons (my budget and the limited ranges available to me) I couldn't just buy them. So I got some 25mm scale historical Normans and went for it with a scalpel and milliput.

The Normans, made as they were supposed to be but not painted historically, look like this (ignore the converted guy in the middle, he isn't supposed to be in the pictures yet) ...

So I took the pose throwing a spear and turned it into these varieties ...

And another pose thrusting a spear and made these versions ...

And another pose with the spear upright and did all of these ...

For the black-garbed ones amongst them, which were made mid-1980s I think, I was inspired by the marvellous opening scenes of Conan which I must have watched on VHS.

They are very rarely used, as they look like children riding ponies compared to heroic/28mm figures, but they were employed in my First Edition Warhammer Battle reenactment as detailed here: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=169 which included some proper 'Oldhammer' stuff like these ogres ...

And these ancient skellies about to take on the riders ...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Spear Skelllies
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
37. Skeletons with Long Spears

This is a really simple kit-bash. Take a skellie, if it has a spear, use as is; if it hasn't, drill through the right hand, stuff a brush bristle through, then stick a spear tip on the top by drilling into the spear tip and shoving the shaft into it.

PS: I am  very proud of that banner. It is very rare I do 'subtle' but I reckon I did it there.

Here arrayed on a reception parade to welcome the vampire duchess to Viadaza ...

And a bonus ... a unit filler, of a kind that is the 'standard' skeleton unit filler I reckon ...

I hope you can tell the skeleton is emerging from a depression that is lower than the base's top. That's another subtlety I was surprised had worked. It's done with mirrors!

Online Elk101

• Elder God
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Skellie Spears
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
 Wow, the skeletons look spectacular.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Tilean Houses
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2020, 08:36:24 PM »
38. Basic Tilean Houses

These are 'film set' houses for the backgrounds of my campaign photos. I churn them out by necessity, and so they are very basic. Sometimes they feature in the games also, but a lot of the time they only have one or two functioning sides (thus 'film set' in style) as that is all I need in a photograph.

A lot of these houses were made from very cheap wooden boxes. Sometimes the box starts out like a house, like this ...

But strip off the silly fairy-toy stuff and stick some old GW windows on and paint you get a silly wargames' house ...

Sometimes you can use several boxes ...

Reposition, saw and fiddle about a bit ...

Slap some plasticard roofs on, paint, and get something more elaborate than a box shape ...

Sometimes you can get lucky and find a pottery building, in this case a candle holder, that makes for a great building once painted up ...

Sometimes you find a ceramic candle holder tower that with a bit of work also makes for a nice model ...

Here you can see the completed tower between two other towers - a Citadel one and a pre-made resin one ...

If you find a kit-form building at a good price, then just paint it to fit in with the others ...

When you want something part tower, part building, get the wooden boxes out again and add plasticard roofs ...

You can make really basic houses with cardboard boxes and plasticard railway model stone walls stuck on ...

Here are three more - a larger plasticard one, another multibox one, and a very basic box-style one ...

Sometimes I want something real fancy. In this case I took a single malt whisky box and made it into a palazzo front ...

And here is the project I just finished today, which prompted me to make this post. I wanted a street, and thought why not just make the whole street side in one go. So I stuck boxes together ...

Stuck roofs on and bits of cardboard and plasticard stone here and there  ...

Undercoated ...

Then using Gesso (lots of the above where gessoed as it allows you to fill gaps and add a texture) and painting and washing on some dirt ...

And to get two film sets for the price of one, make the back of you set count as well ...

Then slap them on the table together ...

Here are some story pics featuring some of these buildings ...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:13:52 AM by Padrissimus »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Love the film set buildings! Very creative use of absolutely everything imaginable and unimaginable!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Really great job! Very inspiring!