Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes:  (Read 23919 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Very inspirational!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
It is a lot of fun to follow this massive fantasy of yours.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
I want to post more, but it takes an exponentially longer amount of time to work out what I have and haven't posted! It just muddles me up!
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
My newest kit-bash creation - a skaven 'super-mortar' / 'uberweapon' (name tbc).

I stupidly deleted most of the photos of the earliest stages when I was trying  to create space on my phone (for the later pictures ... doh!) but two survived.

Here you can see an early test to see how it might fit together ...

It was given to me already glued together, and would have been impossible to paint what with all the inaccessible innards. So I hacked it apart and began a-bashing. Here are the pieces undercoated ...

There is a standard doomsphere, a toy cannon (Playmobile?) and various other bits, including wheels.

Now here are the pics of the completed model from various angles ...

Gibby, of this fine forum, is the Skaven player in the campaign. He and I are going to have to come up with rules for the machine.

The general idea I have so far is that this is Clan Skryre's attempt to create an army or city-destroyer. Inside the huge iron barrel is a warpstone grenado far bigger and far more potent than the bombs thrown by poisoned wind globadiers. The engine is mechanised (a converted doom wheel) to ensure it moves at speed, as it has to get within range of its target to lob the warpstone bomb, without being destroyed by enemy artillery or troops.  Being a skaven engine it is unreliable, so it could blow up, centering it's table-sized blast radius on itself! If it succeeds in lobbing it's bomb, then a city could die! No damage to the buildings, but all life (give or take a few very lucky survivors) perishes. The globe is fused to blow in the air above the city. I might make that fact one of things that could go wrong, as if it hits the ground it will have a much, much lesser effect.

I reckon we can have a brilliant scenario game in which the skaven player has to get this intact from one side of the board to the other. If he does so, then we roll for it firing. If that goes wrong, everything on the table could die!

I have ordered the sprues for 10 plague monks which I am gonna convert (masking them up) to be this engine's attendants.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:02:41 AM by Padrissimus »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Nice Skaven War Engine! 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Aha! So this-this was the Clan Skryre wonder weapon, very powerful, yes-yes?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Not yet based, but I have finished the war-machine's 6 'attendants'. Kit-bashed using bit of plastic and cord, to make filter tanks, and masks (so they don't breath in too much warpstone vapour). This is the first time (in 40 years) I've worked solely in acrylics rather than enamels or a combination of both, and one of the very few times I used a white undercoat for the majority of the model. I like the guy with the shovel best - such a practical tool for a war machine attendant.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Been working on turning the carroccio captured by the undead into a BIG corpse cart, and now almost there. Some fiddly little bits to do and .... the one that's bugging me, I need (a) a design for the Church of Nagash's standard, and (b) the ability/luck to be able to paint it!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:31:08 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
 ;D

Love all of it! But of course the skryre uber weapons  takes the cake ^.^

Offline boneio

• Scientist
What a fantastic idea! I always think there aren't enough four-wheeled (or two-wheeled) devices in wargames and capturing the carroccio was a great narrative device... and now a great literal (undead) device! You could have just used the same model but nope, it's been corrupted by the undead. Just wonderful!

(Yes, I'm transparently on the side of the deadites, sorry  lol )

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Thanks.

Making a pile of corpses to fill the wagon was more time consuming than I thought! You need a lot!

I will post WIP sequence pics and better pics when it is finally completed. Can't wait to see it trundling along between 110 zombified cultists!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
At long last, it is complete!

Some WIP shots ...

Here it is before it was captured by the undead, when the Morrite Cultists were a-flagellating in preparation for the battle they lost!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:42:56 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Nice work! Would you have a quick link to the battle wherein it was captured?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
more fantastic stuff!

and those last few 'diorama' pics are superb

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Thanks WuZhuiQiu and Bloggard.

The story of the battle and the prequel which contains those pictures can be found on my website at ...

https://bigsmallworlds.com/2017/10/01/tilea-campaign-part-13/

The second story, called 'The Battle for Ebino, Prequel' has the pictures used above.