Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes:  (Read 23924 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
really nice looking website / presentation.

one thing, imo, - with ragged alignment paragraphs, no need for hyphenation?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
It must be a browser issue cos I don't see anything odd nor really understand what you are seeing?
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
ah yes, of course it could be.

when I view the page, the text paragraphs are hyphenated, which is bit disjointing and unnecessary with ragged alignment imo, but if you've not control over that it's moot I guess.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Thanks WuZhuiQiu and Bloggard.

The story of the battle and the prequel which contains those pictures can be found on my website at ...

https://bigsmallworlds.com/2017/10/01/tilea-campaign-part-13/

The second story, called 'The Battle for Ebino, Prequel' has the pictures used above.

Thank you!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
I was reading some more entries in your campaign blog, and would be curious to learn how you had modelled "Granite Breaker"? Aha! It was described in this very thread!

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120442.30
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:49:35 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Oh, I finally got to my pc to give you a link but you had beaten me to it! As you can see it wasn't a modelling-conversion of any kind, but simply a paint job!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Corpse-Wagon!
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »
I feel bad as pandemic isolation induced mind fuzziness meant I put a post about a new project up as a separate post when it should have been added to this thread, which I had forgotten about (see the bit about 'mind fuzziness' re: why) so ... I will just link that post here rather than paste and repeat it all again. For completeness sake. Next time I will try to stick to this thread!

Halfling Pike regiment: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125951.0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:44:19 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Corpse-Wagon!
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
And to make up for this rude interruption (if into my own thread) I will put up some more old projects for your perusal.

Being half Yorkshire, half Scottish, I am somewhat careful with money. I want to get the most out of every kit. So I bought one Skaven war machine (which could be made into either a plague claw catapult or a warplightning cannon) and I wangled both machines out of that one kit, with the judicious use of lolly sticks and spare wheels in my bits box and cheap chain, etc.

The catapult, it's warpstone counterweight beijg a crucial part of the cannon, had to use a little pebble I picked up from a coastal walk instead!

It was fun getting the chains to hold the pebble. I built this in a different orientation to the suggested model (official https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Pestilens-Plague-Claw-Catapult). Notice my addition of handy platforms at the side? I don'l like to put my models to too much trouble! The engine is far more easily attended with these platforms in place. Also I have added some sort of extra winching wheel mechanism. Hopefully that also helps save the little rats' arms?

The warplightning cannon got off to a false start, when I thought I could just wood stain the balsa and lolly sticks ...

It did not look at all right, so I painted it to match the rest of my stuff a bit better ...

The official model (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Skaven-Warp-Lightning-Cannon-2015) looks quite a bit different. I have reversed the barrel (I don't know why, now) and added what I consider to be vital copper boiler type things underneath. Vital.

Before I repainted it, I remembered I had scratchbuilt a warp lightning cannon a LONG time ago, so I dug that first one out of it's box ...

Yes, that is a toothpaste top, and yes, that does seem to be some sort of gas mask wearing womble/Clanger crewing the machine.

Just before I repainted it, I lined up my three warplightning cannons to see what they would look like side by side ..

Apparently scale creep has occurred in my personal life too!

I now have another one (see earlier this thread - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120442.msg1510330#msg1510330) which means Gibby can currently field three proper ones in his campaign army.

The little one, however, I am fond of. I am toying with the idea of making house-rules for a smaller, weaker, less effective version, so that Gibby's forces might include a baby cannon too!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:40:10 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Should have kept this up for my more current projects. But, here is my latest WIP ... Skaven engine guard regiment. They have to have protective gear as the machne they guard leaks deadly gases!

I have been working on these recently as a break from working on the photos, stories, reports. A hobby break from hobby breaks!!!!

Here are the two varieties of air tanks - original and the 'improved' version.

Here are the four mask types.

1. Original (with the lovely thread I ran out of for the feeder tube).

2. Pointy version (as I ran out of original shapes, taken from ogre sprues!)

3. Globe-ended, using the musician's beater end!

4. Mark 4. These actually have real screws inside to counter with the non-stick plastic band.

The whole regiment, ready for priming, from front and rear. Ranking them up is hell!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: More Skaven!
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2021, 10:31:38 AM »
I just found this topic, and its amazing! Those machines are incredible!

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »
Nice stuff

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2021, 06:18:37 PM »
Here they are almost fully completed. Just a few bits need the anti-shine varnish, and I will put some flock on the bases.

They were truly nightmarish to rank up. I double based 16 of them (so, 8 pairs). Then I had to cut individuals off the bases to angle them very carefully behind a figure that they could just fit behind!

Here are a couple of the air tanks …

You can see the eye lenses here …

Here is the command (musician x2 – I think I got muddled up) and a standard. The standard bearer does not have a very long arm. That’s an ornamental brass had on the top!

They are Clan Skryre so I researched to correct rune!

Two close up …

These last few show how well the dip worked. Well, I think so. This is a major departure from my normal black lining technique, but I love the way it has come out …

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2021, 07:00:21 PM »
They look good! How are you going to represent the gas masks' in-game effects? Will they grant a saving throw against the effects of noxious gases?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »
Yes!

I am in secret negotiations with Gibby of this very forum regarding the rules for the machine (the deadly danger of mere proximity to it and how it fires, etc). I am working with various rules in the Skaven book, so that there is some sort of precedent for each component of the new rules.

The other players will get a say in the rules, as I like to gain a consensus ... but they won't get that say until (and if) it is just about to be used. If they knew the details of its operation now that would give their player characters a clairvoyan/precognitive knowledge they cannot possibly have! It would meam they plan strategically for it when in the gameworld they know very little about it.

Campaigns like this can take the GM and the players to some funny places, with such tortuous factors to be considered!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2021, 07:44:01 PM »
Superb unit. I really like the imagination you have put into building this warband; both for coming up with the new inventions and then recreating them on your miniatures. Well done!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/