Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rounding out the 15mm AWI collection  (Read 2036 times)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Rounding out the 15mm AWI collection
« on: October 28, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
Have you ever had one of those figure collections that you've always loved, but it's just not worked for your purposes, and so has collected dust forever?

Well mine has been my 15mm AWI collection that I first based for Volley & Bayonet decades ago.  Beautiful figs - mostly the fragile Polly Oliver 15s with some Essex mixed in.  I've re-based portions of this collection maybe three times, trying to find that sweet spot - and along the way cut off the vulnerable bayonets before they took their muskets with them too.  Finally last year, I started basing them again, but on 1/2" round bases (just punched-out magnet sheet), and arrived at what I thought looked good, produced a good unit footprint, and also since they're light bases, now protect the Polly's from ruin - they just roll around now instead of mashing up the figures first. 

Here's some of what I completed last year deploying for mock battle -

Some progress I've made the past few days with the Patriots pictured below.  The 1" bases are for skirmish units (here riflemen and Lt. Infantry), and behind them the "double-ranked" infantry (Essex militia and the rest Polly Oliver behind).  The artillery limber is still on a chunky-style, previous base iteration.

Planning on having three Patriot brigades re-mounted, and then back to the British for their re-basing, before a planned game coming up. 

So all-around progress while "dusting off" the collection, that's making me feel I'll finally be doing this collection proud.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rounding out the 15mm AWI collection
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
Cool.  I have a few units of the Polly's from the recent reintroduction and, sadly, still a bit brittle but otherwise lovely figures.  Slowly working on them when time permits which isn't much of late.  Retirement in a couple years will help.  Hopefully!!!!  lol

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
Thanks 15sAway!

And X X - crossed on your retirement plans. :)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
Gents,

I've got my remounting project finished finally, and have made up some artillery positions to use with these upcoming games too.

(hope to have some 1st-game pics to post in a week's time)

Offline infinite_array

• Student
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »
This look great, and I will definitely be stealing the .5" and 1" base idea to use with my AWI Rebels & Patriots project!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:58:56 AM »
A question on how you are punching out the discs - as in what tool(s) do you use, please?  Also, any concerns about 'warping' since the magnetic sheet material I've encountered seems relatively flimsy?

I do like the thin bases, looks much better to my eye than thick bases, blends so much better into the table.

Thanks!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 02:46:50 AM »
I use paper craft hobby punches, the types with the "toggle" style lever.  The adhesive sided magnet sheet which works best is the type pre-cut for business cards, as it's a bit thicker.  I'll lay out in a row the punched bases for a unit on a tin sheet as they're securing themselves magnetically (protective paper on their adhesive backs removed), and then completely coat each base with a rubber-style contact glue (I use "Goo" by Walthers - the model train distributor).  The adhesive-backing under the glue helps secure the figures when they're pressed firm down on the base, and while the surrounding glue is drying.  Once the bases are painted and the flocking applied when the paint is still wet, after drying they're quite firm.  Oh, and placing the magnet rounds onto a metal sheet helps them stay flat while the glue is drying (a rubberized contact glue minimizes warping vs. white glues).

For the 1" cavalry bases I used 1" fender washers, with the magnetic disk secured to the bottom, and glue the figs directly to the washer top.  The heavier cav. figs do need a stronger base.  As with all the bases, they'll stay attached to each storage tray.  The 1" skirmish bases for the 15s, and the mounted commander stands are just punched magnet sheet too (since they're lighter than two cavalry minis). 

For the 28s I use 1" fender washers again, magnet-backed with a punched disc each.

Oh btw for infinite_array, I misspoke - for the 15mm formed-infantry bases I use are .75 inch size (not .5 as I wrote above).

For looks (w/shallow thin lines) and cheap - you make your own, and since you're using magnet sheet - the retention of the bases to your storage/organizing trays comes as a benefit of the material itself.

Here's some of the Royalist regiments I'll have in the game come a few days (the British flag application are old, and would look better if I was doing them today). 

Offline infinite_array

• Student
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 06:13:03 PM »
Thanks for correction. I'll be reaching out to Wargames Accessories to see if they can cut circular .75" and 1" steel bases.

I'm guessing you've used the .75" to single base the artillerymen?

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »
Yes, they're also on the .75 inch size base.

Muskets & Tomahawks has a rule mechanism that reduces the prolong rate for artillery movement based on crew casualties (and allows increasing the reloading time required based on crew losses too).  I've used this with my grand tactical version of the rules also, and so still need the single-mounted artillerist to track losses.  I've also got a galloper gun that I crew with only 3 figs., to demonstrate it's smaller crew and quicker vulnerability to losses.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:28:19 PM by FlyXwire »

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
You can also consider Button Boy for metal discs - they're very thin, but punched consistently pretty flat -

https://www.buttonboyinc.com/metal-steel-discs/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 02:32:26 AM »
Thanks for the link to Button Boy, more interesting to me than the magnetic sheet - though also thank you for the extensive explanation. I expect I'll be ordering a bunch of those round metal bases for a variety of gaming uses.

Offline King Thor

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
Always love your pics, the quality of your miniatures and terrain are what I aspire to!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the link to Button Boy, more interesting to me than the magnetic sheet -

I was turned onto their site when collecting some A Song Of Fire And Ice miniatures, and wanting to secure those miniatures better to their movement trays with the steel flats helping to retain each miniature via a rare earth magnet under their bases.

Always love your pics, the quality of your miniatures and terrain are what I aspire to!

Thanks bud - I'm retired and so have the time to dabble (and you never see my mistakes)!  ;)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
That all looks excellent.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 06:09:56 PM »
Thank you too OB!

(we can approach the ridiculous with our hobbies sometimes)

Here's my latest example (Volley Fire lights) -

Yep, no black powder smoke yet (the cotton balls).....I'm waiting delivery today for these smallish balls to arrive in the mail!  I couldn't find them locally as I had before as for my BP markers, so had to order them from Amazon.  LOL - ordering cotton balls online for delivery is pretty ridiculous, but the tea lights here are awaiting them to complete this project!