Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 03:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: 'Etiquette' surrounding the' surrounding the wearing of the poppy...  (Read 538 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• scatterbrained genius
I mentioned to friends that I had once read that there was an old 'etiquette' surrounding the wearing of the poppy. It stated you should wear a poppy from November 1st to Remembrance Day on November the 11th. My pals said that was rubbish as BBC TV presenters were already wearing them!
Anyone else ever heard of the 'etiquette', or have I dreamt it?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline flags_of_war

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
    • Flags of War
Re: 'Etiquette' surrounding the' surrounding the wearing of the poppy...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »
I mentioned to friends that I had once read that there was an old 'etiquette' surrounding the wearing of the poppy. It stated you should wear a poppy from November 1st to Remembrance Day on November the 11th. My pals said that was rubbish as BBC TV presenters were already wearing them!

???

Not something i have heard of before. Growing up it was always worn the days before the 11th but now it seems be earlier and earlier. Not sure why this is but for me takes away from the real purpose.

Offline Hitman

• mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »
A friend of mine in the Canadian Armed Forces told me that it is to be worn from November 1st and removed out of respect for fallen soldiers and placed  (if possible) at the cemetery/marker used on Remembrance Day ceremonies once the ceremonies are completed on November 11th.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline dadlamassu

• mad scientist
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »
The Royal British Legion say that you should wear a poppy whenever you feel like remembering the sacrifice.  Many people wear the metal pin badges all year round and the "floral" poppy around Remembrance Day.  But there are no rules, no etiquette about wearing the poppy. 
If you want to wear it then do so.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Jemima Fawr

• mad scientist
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »

???
In terms of HM Forces dress regs, it's worn from the launch of the Poppy Appeal (which is usually in October) until the end of the Remembrance Commemorations, which is usually either 11th November or Remembrance Sunday, whichever comes later.  However, there might sometimes be some events slightly later than that and it's perfectly acceptable to be wearing the poppy for those events.  When I was in the RAF we didn't wear poppies in uniform as it was stipulated that wearing of the uniform should be an act of remembrance every day of the year and not just for a month.  However, the Head Sheds finally got fed up of ignorant Joe Public constantly complaining about us not wearing poppies, so did a complete about-turn and ordered us to wear them...  ::)

As the RBL themselves say, there is no such thing as the 'correct' etiquette.  Just wear it (or not) as you see fit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:39:16 PM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline mcfonz

• mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 07:02:28 PM »
I'm wearing one already because I think the purpose and reasons for it are already being lost.

I know the young people I work with are naively ignorant as a couple of generations have not passed on the meaning of it, the importance. So whilst maybe it isn't traditional to do so, I am doing so so that they see it every day for longer and perhaps will do the same. I will of course try to educate them too.

Offline robh

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
For a lot of people, especially in the media, it has become a "fashion accessory" and almost seems to be part of their dress code between mid October and November 11th rather than something they actually care or give any thought about.

Offline Shahbahraz

• mad scientist
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
My observation of Australia has been that as veterans of WW2 and Vietnam became fewer, the whole observance of ANZAC and Remembrance has become a somewhat distasteful exercise in image manipulation by politicians, and that the meaning of remembrance has been lost.

None of the vets I knew (and still know) would have treated either day as an opportunity for glorifying sacrifice, or nationalistic fervour. Many chose not to march, for their own reasons, and those who did, did it to honour their mates who didn't come back.

But it's become altogether too political a topic to comment on. I donate, I say thank you to veterans who collect, but I don't wear a poppy, and I utterly reject the current 'official' view that it's ok to send the military in harms way, but it's largely up to the charitable donations of the public to look after them when they come back broken, or to look after families when they don't come back at all. 

And the practice of 'poppy-shaming' that seems to have become prevalent is abhorrent.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:23:20 PM by Shahbahraz »
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • galactic brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 06:07:35 AM »
I think the question has been reasonably answered. Out of respect for those whom the poppy represents, I supposewe should end this rather politically-loaded discussion now.

Topic locked.