Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 623
Total: 631

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Plastic Zouaves as British West India?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Perry Plastic Zouaves as British West India?
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
With a gun swap, how about Perry zouaves as British West Indies troops for kinda generic Sword and the Flame for 1860s -1900?  (obviously theycan keep muskets if its 1860, but probably gonna give em martinis.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Re: Perry Plastic Zouaves as British West India?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 06:18:21 PM »
I was considering using them for Algerian Tirailleurs for against the Tuaregs. 

They won't have all the loaded packs, kit, and gear as if on campaign, but as unencumbered for immediate action (least that's what I was thinkin'). 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
I plan to do just that. For me they need a headswap too, though, as the Zouave figures are white, and the West India Regiment were black, but you might feel a paint conversion is enough, that's your business. If you are feeling conscientious you probably want to scrape off the fancy braid patterns on either side of the jacket, as the West India regiment didn't have these. You might want to paint on the thin yellow crossed-braid pattern they had instead, if you are feeling brave.

Depending on the era, you don't need to replace the gun. I don't have details of what guns they had when, but they probably had Sniders after they had muskets, and Sniders look just like muskets anyway. Martinis might be right, depending on the war, but I probably won't go that far.

For extra credit, headswap yourself a British sun helmet head on to one of them, to make a white NCO like this fellow:

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »
I plan to do just that. For me they need a headswap too, though, as the Zouave figures are white, and the West India Regiment were black, but you might feel a paint conversion is enough, that's your business. If you are feeling conscientious you probably want to scrape off the fancy braid patterns on either side of the jacket, as the West India regiment didn't have these. You might want to paint on the thin yellow crossed-braid pattern they had instead, if you are feeling brave.

Depending on the era, you don't need to replace the gun. I don't have details of what guns they had when, but they probably had Sniders after they had muskets, and Sniders look just like muskets anyway. Martinis might be right, depending on the war, but I probably won't go that far.

For extra credit, headswap yourself a British sun helmet head on to one of them, to make a white NCO like this fellow:

great stuff!   i have plenty of unmarried Zulu heads, and lots of Perry ansar heads with passable head gear, so ill see how "white" the Perry guys look when I get them.

I think a British West Indies unit will be cool to game with, as I now have figs and terrain for "Dark Africa" AND "late" ie tricorn and 19th Century pirate Blood n Plunder, which can be used for neat "backwater" TSATF games

I painted up a unit of perry plastic British Napoleonic "riflemen" as ethnic skin color, in green jackets and awi floppy hats,  and they are cool generic garrison troops for make believe Caribbean and African garrisons too.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 10:19:33 AM »
Just an historical note (feel free to ignore it): They wore British Army-style uniforms until about the 1860s, when they adopted the Zouave look (it was all the rage at that time). Red coats and Shakos all the way. You might want to base them on Napoleonic figures to do late 18th or early 19th century stuff with them, or possibly Crimean or other early/mid Victorian figures for a bit later.

But don't worry, I won't rat you out to the gaming police if you want to use them for earlier periods.  ;)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
Just an historical note (feel free to ignore it): They wore British Army-style uniforms until about the 1860s, when they adopted the Zouave look (it was all the rage at that time). Red coats and Shakos all the way. You might want to base them on Napoleonic figures to do late 18th or early 19th century stuff with them, or possibly Crimean or other early/mid Victorian figures for a bit later.

But don't worry, I won't rat you out to the gaming police if you want to use them for earlier periods.  ;)

Hence why I bought a bunch of individual 2 figure sprues of Perry Nappy British Rifleman  :)

Btw, the Frostgrave "crew" box has a lot of wonderfully generic "Arabic Pirates" potential  (and a lot of stupid extra accessories like giant crossbows and Thulsa Doom sized sledgehammers)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
Standard red-coated infantry would be better than riflemen, as the West India regiments weren't riflemen. But if you want them in green that's your business.  :)