Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689717
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Citadel Nuln Oil Shade Question  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Citadel Nuln Oil Shade Question
« on: October 30, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Hi,

I need to buy about en pots of Nuln Oil Shade and before I put in a large order I wanted to know if the Nuln Oil Shade would be the same consistency of that of the Nuln Oil Shade that I bought about six or seven years ago?

In other words is it the same type of paint? With the same results?

I haven't bought any Citadel paints in that many years so before I bit the bullet I thought I ought to check :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: Citadel Nuln Oil Shade Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
I think it's the same mate

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
Yes its the same stuff. It's in bigger pots nowadays. If you need that much it might be worth looking at making your own or buying an alternative such as The Army Painter dark wash. Ten pots of Nuln Oil will set you back a lot of money.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »
I was about to make the same point as the previous poster, with the added inclusion of this tutorial on the process:

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 05:54:25 PM »
Be careful though....they also have Nuln Oli gloss I think...don’t get confused.

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Yes its the same stuff. It's in bigger pots nowadays. If you need that much it might be worth looking at making your own or buying an alternative such as The Army Painter dark wash. Ten pots of Nuln Oil will set you back a lot of money.

I'll just add that they are not quite the same. I used to swear by the Army Painter dark tone wash, until about a year ago when it seemed to suddenly change - now it seems to flow badly / patchily, and dries glossy. So I switched to Nuln Oil, which is almost the same as the 'old' dark tone, or certainly near enough.

I might give the Army Painter another go though with my next order, to see if it's back to how it used to be, and perhaps there was a 'bad batch' a year ago? Hope so, as it will save me money!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
Be careful though....they also have Nuln Oli gloss I think...don’t get confused.

Thanks, I noticed that but it's something that's easily overlooked in an online order so thanks :)

I'll just add that they are not quite the same. I used to swear by the Army Painter dark tone wash, until about a year ago when it seemed to suddenly change - now it seems to flow badly / patchily, and dries glossy. So I switched to Nuln Oil, which is almost the same as the 'old' dark tone, or certainly near enough.

I might give the Army Painter another go though with my next order, to see if it's back to how it used to be, and perhaps there was a 'bad batch' a year ago? Hope so, as it will save me money!

I think I'm going to stick to the Nuln Oil. I might even risk going into my local GW shop which is something I swore I would never do and have managed to keep my word for over a decade. If I ever get asked if I paint miniatures by one of the poor  members of staff again I don't think I'd be responsible for my actions  lol

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
I find as with a few washes, the makeup of them changes. Sometimes the flow is good, but I had a fair few pots that were unusuable, or the contents had parted in some odd way emitting some odd smell.

Maybe heading to the shop is a good idea, can check if the pots seem okay and if the paint works or if it turned blob-ish.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »
I think I'm going to stick to the Nuln Oil. I might even risk going into my local GW shop which is something I swore I would never do and have managed to keep my word for over a decade.

Best not to make eye contact, would be my advice.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
Maybe heading to the shop is a good idea

Shudder  :o ;)

That's my aim  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
I was about to make the same point as the previous poster, with the added inclusion of this tutorial on the process:

I like what this guy is doing. it is really worth considering mixing my own batches as I go through quite a lot of washes  in a year.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »
I like what this guy is doing. it is really worth considering mixing my own batches as I go through quite a lot of washes  in a year.

I go through a lot of washes and glazes also and this guys technique is simple, cheap and works really well. Depending on the proportions of the mix you can create the "Wash" and "Contrast" style liquids.
Also worth noting that the new formula brush on white primer from Miniature Paints (via Ral Partha Europe) takes the "contrast" style washes perfectly.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »

Thanks for that Hammers  8)

A very good idea but until I have some Nuln Oil I've got nothing to compare it to  :)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »

lol lol lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
lol lol lol

You forgot one crucial preparation; add going incognito to avoiding eye contact lol