Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Daylight Lamp Recommendations?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Daylight Lamp Recommendations?
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
Hi,

My Ott-Lite Daylight Lamp has finally given up the ghost and it seems I must move forwards about 20 years and buy a new model.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

It has to be at least 18watts and flexible enough to be angled overhead (for photography) and to the front (for painting).

Hope that makes sense? I seem to be quite misunderstood today on LAF. Maybe it's because it's Samhain?  lol

Seriously though, any tips will be appreciated.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Daylight Lamp Recommendations?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:58:08 AM »
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 02:43:35 AM »
I'm happy with the black version: 13w OttLite Slimline Task Lamp.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »
I'm happy with the black version: 13w OttLite Slimline Task Lamp.

Thanks for the suggestion Condottiere but 13 watts isn't 'bright' enough. I need a lamp that is 18 watts.

The last OttLite I had cost roughly £200 about 20 years ago so I'm looking at the upper range price wise. :)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 02:52:09 PM »
Not inexpensive, but worth every penny....

https://barwellbodyworks-shop.com/gb/accessories/829-lightcraft-professional-task-lamp.html?search_query=Lamp&results=2

I have one like this bought from the now defunct Maplin, I can highly reccomend too. If you use or need to use a magnifying glass it has one built in, I'm waiting for a new bulb for mine and am a bit lost without it.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
OK, lamp update :)

I've contacted OTT-Lite in the US and I'm waiting for a reply to see if they still stock the bulbs for the lamp I have.

If so I'll try Amazon UK first. If Amazon don't stock the bulbs then I'll either just buy a new lamp or not paint  lol

Yeah, I'll buy a new lamp  :D

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Condottiere but 13 watts isn't 'bright' enough. I need a lamp that is 18 watts.

The last OttLite I had cost roughly £200 about 20 years ago so I'm looking at the upper range price wise. :)
It's a 13 watt CFL IIRC, so the equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent bulb. I wouldn't have paid ~$50 - less 'cause I used a coupon - for a lamp that could only 13 watts! lol 

Are you in need of more than 60 watts?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:58:33 PM by Condottiere »

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
I found an LED daylight bulb and put that in my anglepoise lamp (which used to have an incandescent daylight bulb). Works well. It's about 75 watts equivalent.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »
I found an LED daylight bulb and put that in my anglepoise lamp (which used to have an incandescent daylight bulb). Works well. It's about 75 watts equivalent.

Thanks Steve. I might well order another lamp as the OTT lite that I have is over 20 years old and might conk out on me anyway. To be honest, at this stage i'm not even sure if it's the bulb or the lamp. There's no way for me to tell unless i buy another bulb from the US.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 11:33:09 PM »
I recently purchased the Ottlite Extra Wide Sewing LED Clamp Lamp as it was on sale at Hobby Lobby for less than half price and it was a great improvement over my trumpet bulbs that are getting on a bit. But I was really looking for the new Daylight LED lamp as I had had the 3 tube one in the past but it was damaged during a house move some time back and the new ones are expensive.
Whilst surfing I came across a US company called KIMCO  https://gokimco.com/ and they are selling the Daylight U35500 Lumi LED Task Lamp for U$160 plus shipping. https://gokimco.com/daylight-u3550-lumi-led-task-lamp.html
I placed the order and the lamp arrived 2 days later.
It gives excellent light - even better than the Ottlite - and I am a happy painter again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:46:20 PM by Mindenbrush »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 10:57:52 PM »
I would recommend looking at/for embroidery lamps.

Designed to give good visibility and low heat so that you can sit and sew without burning your hands...

There are a lot of embroiderers around, and if you've ever been to an embroidery show (such as the NEC ones) they obviously have a lot of disposable income between them.

If you are in a shop looking at lamps most sales assistants find embroidery/sewing easier to visualise than "painting 15mm miniatures".
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)