Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:12:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690735
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Angolan Gecko-Hunt (Operation FOX, December 1983)  (Read 878 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
The Great Angolan Gecko-Hunt (Operation FOX, December 1983)
« on: November 01, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
We did a little game in the club last night, based on a historical attempt by South African forces to get their hands on n SA-8 'Gecko' SAM:

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2019/11/01/the-great-angolan-gecko-hunt-operation-fox-december-1983/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Great Angolan Gecko-Hunt (Operation FOX, December 1983)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
Impressive pics, very atmospheric.

Please tell me exactly what mat / cloth you have there from Tiny please, I like the look of it.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
Impressive pics, very atmospheric.

Please tell me exactly what mat / cloth you have there from Tiny please, I like the look of it.
I seem to remember that it's called 'Grassland' and yes, I really like it.  If you look at the early stuff on my blog where I used a green piece of parachute silk and compare it to the current cloth it's A LOT better! :)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 05:52:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I take it it’s cloth rather than mouse at?  How big a piece is it?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I take it it’s cloth rather than mouse at?  How big a piece is it?
Yes, it's a cloth.  It's the same fabric used to surface mouse-mats, without the rubber backing.  I wanted a 6'x8' sheet, as that's big enough to accommodate most of my larger scenarios.  However, it's a non-standard size, so was fairly pricy (fabric normally come in 4' rolls, so anything larger gets expensive).  I did consider buying two 4'x6' rolls and stitching them together, as that would have been quite a bit cheaper, but then I came into a bit of money, so just splurged.  :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks fella.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
No worries.  I should add that the fabric is a little bit slippery, so units are somewhat prone to sliding down hills and it doesn't sit very well when placed over hills.  However, it's no different to my previous bit of parachute silk, so I'm happy.