Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scaling Down the FIW  (Read 1407 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
Scaling Down the FIW
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »
Well here goes. Perhaps a heretical post. But first, thanks to all those who posted so much helpful info regarding my newbie queries about figures and rules for FIW. And thanks for all the photos of the amazing 28mm figs. The work done by Forum members here is stunning and I am enjoying reading old posts and checking out the art.

As an old guy who has gamed since the 60s and has only used three scales (1/72, 3mm and 6mm), I find that 28mm seems a bit daunting for my skills. I am a decent painter, not great. I do very well with scenery and buildings are my specialty. 6mm is a scenery driven scale.

As much as I love the Galloping Major figures, it was a bit of a shock to find out how expensive they are compared to smaller scales. The 6mm world often counts its armies in the thousands, but even if I wanted fifty 28mm figures a side, it would set me back, and then I would likely become obsessed and then bankrupt.

And now for the heresy - As I considered the rules suggestions, I began looking around on line and stumbled upon a gamer who plays several skirmish games, including Sharpe Practice, in 6mm. And he has created a set of FIW skirmish figures using the Baccus FIW figs that look very attractive to my 6mm eyes. And it turns out he is not the only one using 6mm for skirmishing a variety of horse and musket, WW2. The basing scheme they are using also swayed me.

Granted, some things are lost – such as the character of facial expressions and artistic detail. But as 6mm guys know, it is possible to do some very good work with Baccus and Adler figures as they are cast for more expressive painting. And as I live in FIW country, the idea of doing some 6mm scenery for skirmish is very attractive.

Finally, the idea of creating a small portable skirmish game to travel with, set up anywhere, store easily, etc. is also attractive. So I have ordered the French and British FIW army packs from Baccus, which includes most everything I need, to be ready when Muskets and Tomahawks 2 comes out( I hope). I am sure there are game adjustments to make, but I tinker with rules readily.

However, for those who describe 6mm as grains of rice, might as well play board games, etc,  I am ordering a couple of packs of Galloping Major for the holidays. I gotta try these – and God help me if I’m any good – I could be off to the races! RB

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Scaling Down the FIW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 10:41:10 PM »
Good for you, I’m glad you have found a direction and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour with the 6mm stuff.
Mind you once you start painting the GM figures we‘LP see if you change your mind: ;) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:12:24 AM »
Happy gaming, whatever scale - and beware the FIW addiction!   :o

Hope you ordered extra Indians, you're going to need a lot of them 'varmints'.  Or noble savages if you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:15:30 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
If you use a 25mm round base you can mount several 6mm figures on it but treat is as a single figure, thus you are still able to skirmish but on a budget.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:22:02 PM by Oldgamer »

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »
If you use a 25mm round base you can mount several 6mm figures on it but treat is as a single figure, thus you are still able to skirmish but on a budget.
Oldgamer's got the trick!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
A word of caution, I bought a few packs of GM's F&IW figures to play skirmish games with Malamute; but now my F&IW collection is one of my largest 'completed' projects.

GM figures are very characterful and a joy to paint.

You've been warned.   lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
A word of caution, I bought a few packs of GM's F&IW figures to play skirmish games with Malamute; but now my F&IW collection is one of my largest 'completed' projects.

GM figures are very characterful and a joy to paint.

You've been warned.   lol

It’s True! lol lol lol

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 08:32:25 PM »
Yes, I have sensed this just from looking at their website! 

The multi-figure basing idea is a good one - these guys use what they call the 1-2-3 system, putting three 6mm figs on a base and having other bases with two or one figure to "make change" when there are casualty removals. I need to understand more about the rules, but multiple figs on a base makes sense. RB

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »
I am planning on playing a game of Rebels & Patriots in a couple weeks where a base of three 15mm figures will take the place of a single 28mm figure. No making change, just remove a base and count each base as single figures for all game purposes. It just makes my units have 3 times as many figures on the table.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 01:11:20 AM »
Ah, this sounds ideal to me, good idea. I am also going to develop some casualty figures to give the table and game a more cinematic look. Again, once I have some rules, I can figure out how to go. But I like having a scenic table to support the narrative. RB