Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of the Yellow Ford-Ireland 1598  (Read 920 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
The Battle of the Yellow Ford-Ireland 1598
« on: November 02, 2019, 09:03:12 AM »
In Irish terms the Battle of the Yellow Ford was a big one perhaps 9,000 men fought in  it.  It is also often misunderstood. Surviving Irish sources don't say overmuch about it and the English ones contradict each other.  Everyone agrees on the outcome the largest English Army ever sent to Ireland was destroyed. At the end of it half of the English Army was dead or wounded.  The General and 18 senior officers were dead.  Three hundred or so troops deserted to the Irish.  The survivors surrendered their arms and equipment in exchange for their lives.

There is something of the Hollywood epic about the battle.  The two opposing Generals were related and loathed each other.  Field works played an important part in deciding the outcome and, unusually for Ireland, cannon were used on the battle field.  How it happened has long intrigued me and I have written a series of posts on what I have learned.  If it's of interest the first one is now on my blog.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Battle of the Yellow Ford-Ireland 1598
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Looking forward to the subsequent parts of this article. Really enjoying your analysis of Renaissance warfare in Ireland.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
That's great to hear Baron.  I've been really interested in the Nine Years War for ages and now I've the chance to really explore it.  I'm delighted that others are enjoying the journey.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »
I can only echo what the good Baron has said, a really interesting series of articles. It is a very interesting period and one I know nothing about but the wargaming potential is great. Looking forward to the next instalment. :)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:01:21 AM »
Thank Jambo.  When I've finished the Yellow Ford posts I'll put something up on wargaming the period.  As you say the potential is great.