Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Photobucket again.....:(  (Read 2306 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Photobucket again.....:(
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »
Looks like Photobucket are trying a new way of forcing people to give them money.

Now as well as blurring any linked images and stamping them with an intrusive watermark they have a "DISABLE YOUR AD BLOCKER" demand when you try and visit the original gallery.

Trying to force anyone who wants to view images stored on Photobucket to blanket accept all pushed ads or pay a membership.

Means that anyone who has pictures stored on Photobucket can only show them to other paying Photobucket members, not to everyone else. Time to find another host, if you want to share and discuss your work/research as this is all non photobucket members trying to see your images get:

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
Re: Photobucket again.....:(
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
I am slowly relinking my pics to other sites, and deleting from photobucket. Is a PITA but I am not giving my money to that people.

Milo.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 01:29:30 PM »
It always was a glitchy mess. Stopped using it years ago.

One only has to look at emosbur's signature to see why it is all but useless to LAFers, even with their backtracking about having to pay. It really just isn't worth our time.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
Sad thing, it remember me of a very very old (we are talking of the early eighties!) strip in the italian Mickey Mouse magazine. Goofy was complaining to Mickey that ads were interrupted too often by movies...  o_o

It is a tad annoying that services are constantly serving less and charging you more. It is like that thing on yahoo mail... ADblock is stopping us to give you the full experience...   :D

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »
Again, the simple solution: start a google blog to host your photos, it's pretty simple.  The only hazard is if Google ever decides to change its policies in some drastic way.  But if that happens the blogosphere will almost certainly implode.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 02:25:06 PM »
Again, the simple solution: start a google blog to host your photos, it's pretty simple.

Yes (I already do)  but this is not about the owner of the images, Photobucket are now targeting the people looking at those images.  A "pay to view" scheme. Anyone who is not a paid up and signed in photobucket user will not be able to view any photobucket hosted images.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
I am 100% absolutely fine with Photobucket finding new and inventive ways to lose business.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 04:41:47 PM »
It always was a glitchy mess. Stopped using it years ago.

One only has to look at emosbur's signature to see why it is all but useless to LAFers, even with their backtracking about having to pay. It really just isn't worth our time.

Well, I changed it!!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
If I could remember my old email or password, I’d be getting and taking my pics back. Can’t though!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Moved to imgur a while back, when Photobucket were up to their last round of nonsense.

There are plenty of alternatives, no need to go with the worst one.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:11:35 PM by Ogrob »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
Screw them.....

I can understand them changing their policies in order to keep the house in order.

The thing that has me cross is that I was out of the hobby for five years and when I get back into the swing of things half my pics are gone and irretrievable if I don't switch off Ad Blocker.....

Which I'm now doing in a frantic hurry and downloading all my old pics!!  :o

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
I've still got all my old pic's so I didn't lose out like that.  As a business model photobucket are finished.  Out of the blue attempted shakedown, apology and then new attempted shakedown is commercial suicide.

I recall an excellent blog where the owner was so distraught at losing his pics he actually ponied up the extortion first time around.   I'd like to think he got refunded but I doubt he did.  It left a bad taste in the mouth.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
Moved to imgur a while back, when Photobucket were up to their last round of nonsense.

There are plenty of alternatives, no need to go with the worst one.

Same. Imgur still seems stable and robust for now; especially with some other competing sites having self-imploded.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 07:05:09 PM »
Sorry, I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but how do you find the correct links in Imgur? I'm struggling. It may just be the app thats causing me issues, do you guys use the webpage instead?

Cheers in advance!

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »
Don't think you can get the links through the app. I've never managed to find a way. It's easy through the website on the computer though. Just click on the image and it brings the links straight up.