Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:43:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pzkpfw_Steve's Ottomans and various musings  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
Pzkpfw_Steve's Ottomans and various musings
« on: November 26, 2019, 05:53:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I started posting on my blog again. although most of the text is musings about the state of historical gaming in hte city i now live, I did post  pics of my Ottoman army.

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/11/long-time-no-see.html

Cheers,

Stephen Thomson

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Pzkpfw_Steve's Ottomans and various musings
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 06:37:57 AM »
Fab brushwork  8) 8) 8)

shame about the local wargaming 'scene'. Maybe the more you get to know the place the more you will discover?

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »
I've been in the area 4 and a half years now unfortunately.

Offline pete

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »
That is a lovely unit.  Did you do the chequey shields free-hand ?

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 12:00:38 AM »
yes i did. i painted on a grid of thin black lines and then filled in the colours. took a while but I'm happy with the outcome.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 11:03:05 PM »
They are lovely.  Chequy is very hard to do and requires a steady hand.  Bravo.

Offline Gungadin

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
Splendid stuff - please keep posting! Have you thought of raising a few units from the Brigade Games Ottoman range - they may even be marginally easier for you to get over there than here in Europe (no fault of Lon who offers a superb service - just the vicissitudes of postal and above all Customs services!). Please keep posting - inspirational stuff!
I have a vague recollection of passing through Hamilton many moons ago - was there not a wargames store there back in the day? If so I wonder if it may establish some form of - no doubt spurious - causality between hobby shops and interest…

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 04:39:34 AM »
There was Bayshore Hobbies in the west end. it's gone now.  Black Knight Games is a larger store. they  Carry the standard mainstream Stuff, as well as Warlord games.  they have a pretty big gaming area.

But Hamilton has always had both an unusually large and active Gaming scene.  For over 30 years the Military Interests and Gaming Society was a major  Focal point of gaming of all kinds. I was based in the middle of Hamilton.

MIGS is a shell of its former self now.  but its legacy lives on in many ways. The new Broadsword gaming group plays once a month in the RHLI Armoury and they Run a bi-annual mini-convention. Barnaby has done a great job of Organizing them.

I have considered  adding some stuff from Brigade games.  Unfortunately that requires money. I don't have any of that right now.  I'm currently unemployed.  I was thinking about getting a bunch of the Nizam I Cedid and using them as a sort of neo-almoravid empire.  of course I'd be sure to paint them as passable Nizam i Cedid for the napoleonic period.

Actually i have been looking at brigade games a lot lately.  I also want to build a platoon of USMC Parachute troops for Chain of Command.   There are a few raider packs that have the right weapons...

Cheers!