Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question: What to do with these small things from Foundry's 68pdr gun?  (Read 926 times)

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
Hey, everyone! I need you help!

I got three copies of Foundry's British 68pdr Naval Gun and I have no idea where where these small things belong. The mousetrap-like thingies in the bottom of the photo.

Any ideas/explanations/hints would be much appreciated!

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: Question: What to do with these small things from Foundry's 68pdr gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
Coul it be the part that goes on the deck under the gun carriage in front (see picture)

I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline cianty

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
I was wondering the same thing when I saw this picture on Wikipedia. However, why would the "rope" on the pieces be modeled in such a curvy fashion? My first reaction when I saw the piece in the blister was that it might be a fuse and supposed to be placed under the barrel but that doesn't seem right either.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
My first thought is that the ropes are loose and curvy because until the gun fires then they will become taught and control some of the guns inevitable recoil.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline cianty

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »
My first thought is that the ropes are loose and curvy because until the gun fires then they will become taught and control some of the guns inevitable recoil.

Good point!

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »
I think it's a crank for adjusting the elevation of the gun.could n't swear to it though

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
It's a chock that goes under the butt of the barrel, as already suggested for adjusting the elevation. Haven't a clue what the wiggly bit is for though.

Google image search 68 pdr carronade for lots of images showing it, including some from painted examples from  Foundry (can't see the wiggly bit though)
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose