Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690749
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Regimental Colours  (Read 784 times)

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
British Regimental Colours
« on: November 04, 2019, 08:08:40 AM »
Hi

I’m planning adding the 2nd Battalion 88th to my collection.  I already have the 1st

Would the regimental Colours be identical to the 1st battalion?  I used Flags of War last time and I’d be happy doing so again.

Thanks

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: British Regimental Colours
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »
Seen from a distance they were usually flippin' well identical and a lot of them had no differences whatsoever. 

However, a very few regiments used a 'pile wavy', which was a wavy flame-shape in gold, extending diagonally downward from the canton (i.e. the top corner nearest the hoist).  The II Bn would have one pile wavy, the III Bn would have two and so on.  However, this was very rare by the Napoleonic Wars and I can only recall it being carried on one of the colours of the Foot Guards and some Militia regiments.

One Highland Fencible regiment added a broad red horizontal stripe across the centre of the Regimental Colour of their II Bn.

Most commonly, regiments would add a Roman numeral 'II' or 'IId Battn' in gold on the canton or centrally above or below the central design. 

I can't find anything specific for the II/88th, although they do seem to have put '88' in the middle of the small Union Jack in the canton of the Regimental Colour.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
That's great!  Thanks so much.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
Yes, I would echo what JF said - the pile wavy was, for the whole of the 18th Century, the traditional method of marking junior battalions when only a handful of regiments had them.  However, the augmentation of almost every line regiment as the Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars progressed saw this system superceded, typically by an oval disc with "2nd/IInd Bn" or "3rd/IIIrd Bn" (usually in the top corner next to the staff).  A few regiments might have old colours from the 1780s, but even these would have been replaced by the start of the Peninsula War.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:47:23 PM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
Yup, what BvW said - the Roman numerals (and/or regimental title) could sometimes be superimposed on a crimson oval, usually edged in gold.  One that springs to mind is the 3rd Foot (Buffs).

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
pile wavy

Yep, heraldry is a bitch.