Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:21:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] WW2 Women of Britain w/ TOOFATLARDIES - FINAL HOURS (8PM GMT FIN)  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: WW2 Women of Britain project (Bad Squiddo) KS LIVE NOW
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
Yep - I'm in (and ordered some WLA in anticipation)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 08:15:14 PM »
I expect all services had different nursing uniforms.

I expect you're correct.  There's even a whole Osprey on Allied nurses in WWII, plus another one for German nurses!

https://ospreypublishing.com/world-war-ii-allied-nursing-services

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »
I feel for my sculptor who is working away on so many "slightly different" uniforms. I teased him that he must be daydreaming about doing some rank and file napoleonics.

---

FUNDED! AMAZING!
Now onto the stretchy party!

First stretch goal announced, and not far off unlocking! Come check out the details and add some flair to your WW2 gaming!

*waves from tractor*

"I'm on a tractor!"

Do tell your friends, it's bl*ck fr*day and trying to get any posts seen is a right mission!

Annnnnnnniieeee

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 09:23:32 PM »
Lovely, except i already have the Sarissa tractor...    :o
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »
Have you seen the 1942 training film "We Serve". Occasionally crops up on freeview channel 81.

A training film for ATS officers
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 01:08:49 AM »
@Fram Framson

This book is a bit brief but illustrates some fields: https://www.zinnfigur.com/Buecher-Medien/Osprey/Osprey-Men-at-Arms/1918-1945/Williamson-G-Bujeiro-R-Illustr-World-War-II-German-Women-s-Auxiliary-Services.html

Some were used for Funk/Radio units in rear area operations as far as I know.

Wolfhilde von Koenig's (with a german umlaut o) book "Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939–1946" might also be interesting. 

They were usually to be found as "Behelfspersonal"  ::), that is as nurses, Flakhelfer (manning AA guns), but also including navigation for fighters, as listening posts and the like.

Scheinwerfer units usually were crewed by women. And then there were also posts as couriers, secretaries as well as the aforementioned Radio/Funk units. For the names and definitions see the article on wikipedia in case anything is left unclear. (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmachthelferin)

While brief, I hope it helps!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 08:09:35 AM »
Lovely, except i already have the Sarissa tractor...    :o

You don't have a driver though!

Even if it's assembled and painted, you can pop the seat off, and she slots on in replacement, there's a hole in her sculpted seat to match. Clevers  8)

I haven't seen "We Serve" but I will check it out!

Tractor & Driver unlocked by the way :D

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Re: [KICKSTARTER] WW2 Women of Britain project (Bad Squiddo) LIVE NOW
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »
I'm in !  Wish it had been after Christmas though … my wallet's creaking enough...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »

I haven't seen "We Serve" but I will check it out!

Couldn't find it on google but Freeview 81 regularly features films from the IWM collection.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11108140/

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
Evening friends!

Some splendid progress going on here. We've unlocked the tractor driver...hooray! So you can add this to your pledge with certainty... if you want! I mentioned in the last update I'll do a "how to pledge" video for those newbies or people uncertain how it works, I will be doing this tomorrow afternoon so keep an eye out.
Driver: Single piece metal miniature - Tractor: Multipart MDF Kit by Sarissa Precision

Which puts us onto our next unlock!
Pigeons!

He's doing some more tweaks tonight, hopefully including a birb attached to a deflated parachute.

I appreciate you backing when there aren't photos of all the "Starter Pledge" minis yet, it means a lot. I am hoping the combination of description and our previous minis help you get a good idea. However it can always be hardsometimes to visualise. Our main sculptor Alan is currently sculpting away like there's no tomorrow on a whole host of minis - the WRNs, ATA & ATS with rifles - but some of the stretch goals too.

In the meantime I got our artist Martin Whitmore to do some concept art. He's currently working on the WRNs, they should be finished tonight but I wanted to show you what he has for us so far, just one left:

Much better than my silhouettes! Cool hey!

Sunday Morning Coffee

You may or may not know, but every Sunday Morning at 10am GMT I run a half hour live stream called Sunday Morning Coffee. It sums up the weekly happenings at Bad Squiddo Games and is interactive so you can ask questions and join in the chat. Tomorrow morning will be focussed on the Kickstarter of course. If you aren't around, you will be able to watch it back on the Facebook page or Youtube.

The stream is on Facebook live, so just come here at 10am GMT Sunday!
www.facebook.com/thedicebaglady

LIVE UPDATE

While I have been typing, Ristul has updated me with the pigeons and they are the best thing ever. Can you find... camera pigeon... messenger pigeon... pigeon in a bag...pigeon in a parachute capsule....?
You don't get a knight, he's there for scale!

Research coming to life

A few weeks ago I visited London to further the research so spent a day at the Imperial War Museum and the National Army Museum. I lured along Anjuli AKA Geek Girl Book Worm (who will be painting some of these minis on her Twitch stream, I will keep you updated.

Amongst many things, I saw this cool pigeon jacket, which started a chain of research and inspiration to make the pigeon heroes!  So of course this jacket is immortalised in the kit now.

Thank you for helping make this dream come true,

time to chill for the evening, and I'll catch you tomorrow morning!

Annie

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
Good evening, we have had a couple of unlocks since the last update... hooray!

Firstly, I said that Marty had been working on some artwork, we had 4/5 WRNs last update, so now have all five!

What a fine set!

He also then pretty much pleaded to do more artwork as he likes the project so much. One of the things I adore about the team of sculptors, casters, and artists we work with is how excited they get about the minis and mission. They quite often get inspired and go off on their own tangent, and I love it. More on that below!

So I "begrudgingly" accepted Marty's wish and so quickly he had returned with a full colour artwork for me, amazing.

I've tinkered it into a poster, I'll share the "raw" art in another update, but I wanted to show off my poster!

If you have backed any of our previous campaigns you will be familiar with how I love the merch. I upgraded the stickers in the Amazons & Dwarves Kickstarter to die cut vinyl, and this lady is crying out for it. So I am sure that will be a thing, but a later unlock, as of course funds should firstly go to MOAR MINIS.
MORE MINIS YOU SAY?

Damn right. The pigeons are unlocked baby. Better pictures to come (I left my drawing stylus at the office).

This is possibly the greatest pack to ever exist ever.

They will all be in resin, you can get a pack of 12 pigeons for £10. These are not period specific (ie they have no "gear") so you can use them for anything there might be pigeons. Or doves! The basket set features more pigeons "doin' jobs". THEY'RE DOIN' JOBS!

Seriously you should have seen me on Saturday when the pictures came through from Ristul. Every 10 minutes or so I would declare "ONE OF THEM HAS A CAMERA!" or words to that sense. The second pack is £12 but likely to rise post KS.

You can get even more of a discount by ordering the two at once for £20. I never imagined I'd be having a Sunday evening phonecall with the head of the casting company about pigeons. So thanks Louis for giving me some time pre Sunday Roast (very important in Britain) to deal with my pigeon casting questions. And "Louis! One of them has a camera on!!!"
So the next stretch goal....

Unlocked before I could announce it! Neat! Good to see things speeding up!

Please excuse the terrible stock silhouette! I have a meeting with the sculptor Rob Macfarlane tomorrow who will be bringing the sculpt, so photos will be with you tomorrow, and maybe some video!

Despatch riders are basically messengers on motorbikes. We have gone for a Triumph bike, as, well I think they look the coolest. There are many kinds, but looking at women of WW2, WRNs were the most common. That's the Women's Royal Naval Service. It was a dangerous job as of course they were targeted, as they carried very important information.

I believe Rob has TWO SETS to show me, so I shall confirm tomorrow, but the first unlock will be the straight up woman riding motorcycle. A rough price estimate is around £8-£10 but I shall confirm tomorrow. It will be in metal.

So the NEXT unlock!

This will make a beautiful scenic piece on a hill perhaps. These air force ladies are launching a weather balloon, the theodolite is an instrument that measures the stats (specifically angles) of the balloon. The plans are to have Alan sculpt the women (he may have started!) and Rob on the instruments, as they work best in digital for precision.

I have lots more to talk about but this update has taken long enough and that's enough reading for you today! Tomorrow I will be showing you the bike, maybe a hero dog if you are good.....

Thank you for supporting this. Please do remember to increase your pledge for anything that's been unlocked that you want so far, as it will help unlock more as we go along.

I've not been very well lately and there's only one of me, so some activities have been pushed back (there is cool interactive stuff coming!) and thanks for being understanding about that,

Oh if you missed the live video on Sunday, here it is
https://youtu.be/CS7bcd51o1E

ALSO!

See I told you there was so much to talk about
7:30PM GMT Tuesday on http://twitch.tv/geekgirlbookworm

I'll be there in the chat answering questions and cheering her along. I sent two of our lovely minis to Anjuli to paint, and I can't wait to see what she does with them.

Do check out Anjuli's work, she is VERY EXCELLENT all around, and has been a great and supportive friend , as well as being far too much fun working on the stand at Warfare a few weeks ago.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
This will make a beautiful scenic piece on a hill perhaps. These air force ladies are launching a weather balloon, the theodolite is an instrument that measures the stats (specifically angles) of the balloon. The plans are to have Alan sculpt the women (he may have started!) and Rob on the instruments, as they work best in digital for precision.

Very good news!

PS theodolite measures angles, so according to the measurements may calculate the altitude of balloons, clouds, planes etc.  It is also a topographical instrument used in land survey, too.

Your photo:
https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/320951910926654114/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:33:38 AM by argsilverson »
argsilverson

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Yep here's some more photos!

Only 30 quid away from being unlocked too, woo! The sculptor Rob is coming over this afternoon....and to show me the despatch rider! eee!

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Re: [KICKSTARTER] WW2 Women of Britain (Bad Squiddo) 5/12 -Chickens & SOE!
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
A quick update as I am so sleepy!

UNLOCKS!

To be honest, I was gonna go for the one unlock then I found this quote and pretty much instantly fell in love with Nancy.

"A little powder and a little drink on the way, and I'd pass their (German) posts and wink and say, 'Do you want to search me?' God, what a flirtatious little bastard I was."

I was looking at the SOE concealed blade weapons, and like the idea of a pose of her being cheeky and flirtatious, but reaching for the stabby stabby.

Next unlock!

Lots of the land army were relocated "city girls" and so they had to quickly adapt to country life. One of the complaints was that the jumpers were itchy and that they had to wear trousers (remember this was a time where it wasn't commonplace for women to wear trousers). Other things were much more exciting, like the chance to ride horses. The lady riding this heavy horse is going to be DELIGHTED about it.

Also, getting these into production brings us one step closer to either unlocking or future releasing things the horse can be pulling, such as a plough or cart. An MDF cart (such as the Sarissa one, I will pop onto the add ons later on), filled with something to look like hay (maybe hay?!) with some of other land army packs in there would be immense.

Oh yeah and to unlock the chickens, people had to draw chickens, it was awesome!

Linkie again
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/women-of-ww2-british-home-front-28mm-miniatures

And even more thanks!
Annie

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Re: [KICKSTARTER] WW2 Women of Britain (Bad Squiddo) 5/12 -Chickens & SOE!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »
Marty started drawing a 1940's Annie, so I feel she's gonna end up a mini. I think I want to be an SOE. Undercover as a petting zoo manager.