Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Are there less heroic 3mm figures?!  (Read 1172 times)

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Are there less heroic 3mm figures?!
« on: November 05, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »
I clearly don’t have enough unfinished projects so I’ve branched out into 1/700 Napoleonic age of sail courtesy of Black Seas.

Inspired by someone else’s use of Eduard 1/700 figures I’ve also decided to avoid that Marie Celeste look by adding a crew. Unfortunately the Eduard figures are a bit too slight, so I’m looking for other options. Immediately to mind came the 3mm figures from Osmy Oddzial (Magister Militum) - so I bought a couple of packs. Now these are almost perfect- but are slightly too big (they’re quoted as 1/600 and are about 4.5mm tall).

Any ideas for alternatives? Any period is probably OK, although figures with Bicorns  and/or shakos would certainly help!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Are there less heroic 3mm figures?!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:23 AM »
Not sure if they will fit your needs, but take a look at Irregular Miniatures 2mm range. 

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:41:25 AM »
www.forwardmarchstudios.com

I’m partial to these, but I may be biased!

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:52:44 PM »
Great suggestions! But unfortunately I’m ahead of you on those. I have some pike and shot era irregular figures and they’re either in blocks or too blobby (e.g. the artillery). Some of the cavalry are a bit more sculpted but that not useful for this. I think they’re also a bit too small.

I’ve also got some forward March stl files - and very nice they are too, but for the ships I think they’re a bit too peg like (although I may experiment to see if that’s right in practice).

I may try to shave a bit more off and lose part of the feet, but the small size and rock hard metal makes this very difficult.

Cheers
Finn

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:47:26 PM »
I see - sorry, I didn't read your post as closely as I should have.  1/700 is slightly too large for my stuff.  1/700 is right in between 3mm and 2mm!  That is really inconvenient.  I hope you can find something!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:02:02 AM »
Not all irregular 2 mm are those annoying blocks - I believe there are some that are skirmishers that might be adaptable.  Also, I don't think Irregular's metal is that hard - that is Odzial Ozmy.  Can't think of any other possible options.  Maybe Peter Pigs 4 mm figures?  If none of those, I think you are out of options.

Offline MHoxie

• Bookworm
  • Peek-a-boo
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »
Peter Pig makes 3mm ACW troops to support their Hammerin' Iron rules (scroll down):

https://www.peterpig.co.uk/acwnaval.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »
I was thinking more in terms of the Peter Pig deck crews for the Peter Pig pirate ships range - but maybe the ACW crews might work.

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
Ah cool, I wasn't aware of those Peter Pig crew and skirmisher figures - I'll try a few and see how they scale up.

Cheers!
Finn

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 05:21:38 PM »
In case this is useful for someone looking at this thread, I came across these (a few different sets available, these are the heavy gunners):

http://www.3dmodelparts.com/1-700-naval-figures/

It had already occurred to me to either do some 3d models for printing, so maybe if these work out I’ll have a go.

Have fun
Finn