Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting all the minis for the group  (Read 2344 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Painting all the minis for the group
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
I now I try to have 'matched pairs' so that I can put on a game if my opponent
either can't  bring his troops or doesn't (yet) have any for that period/scale.

In the past I have helped others:-
Painted a whole division of 15mm Confederates for another club member.
They were to be used in an upcoming campaign. He moved before the campaign started;
Donated a load of figures to kick start a campaign. People took the figures, most
did nothing with them;
Made scenery for a campaign, only to see it never used;
Designed an entire fantasy world, to be used for a fantasy campaign that everybody
said they wanted to play in. Result 2 games in 12 months. I gave the detailed map to
the one player who had instigated both battles.

Does the above stop me 'helping' others?... No.
Does it make me a little bit more cautious?.... Yes.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »
Yep all the time, it's 6mil mainly so no great difficulty to any part of it.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 07:10:42 PM »
I currently have two very different gaming groups or circles and handle both according to their composition.

The first group are traditional tabletop wargamers and in that case all of us organize and paint our armies individually and only meet up to play.

The other group is very much a boardgame group with a few people being interested in playing miniature games. For this group I had to accept that I would basically build and paint everything. Since we play skirmish games that is no big deal however and I actually enjoy creating the full table and showing off (my mediocre painting skills).
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
I play fantasy/sci-fi games with a couple of friends (and their children) who both enjoy the painting and modelling part of the hobby. As a result we each assemble our own forces (barring the occaisional loan of a painted figure or two to the opposion to fit the circumstances or scenario).

I am feeling increasingly inclined to try a historical game, however, and have purchased the Chain of Command rules. My friends have up to now shown no particular interest so my plan is to produce both sides and so they can give it a go without having to commit money or time. If my plan works they will become hooked and start recruiting their own platoon. If it fails then I will keep painting the occaisional WW2 figure or vehicle as a change from the usual subject matter, but the rules will probably just gather dust!

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
Definitely.  Our group is small and two of us host almost all our games at our homes so the to of us do all the work.  That said, it is not unusual for other players to bring along a new game that neither of us do. 

Ever since I started (with one exception) I have bought, built and painted all of the combatants, terrain etc that is needed for our games with our children, grandchildren and club members.  This means I have a huge and varied collection.  I now have several collections that I would not otherwise have had - zombies, survivors, Martians, assorted aliens, the Hobbit etc.

Now our eldest son is keen on 28mm WW2 (Bolt Action and Chain of Command) and he buys the models, I build paint and store them just no while he is deployed on operational tours. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 01:40:01 AM »
For a long time I was one of the guys who just showed up and used the painted miniatures available. Then I started painting and now have quite a few painted armies at our club.   
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 02:09:25 AM »
Yes - but to the point where it's now lead to me having to give up the hobby because I just can't do it any more.

I love my gaming mates - we always have a great time when we get together, but I've lost count of the number of times I've wasted hundreds of hours (and many hundreds of dollars) trying to paint up sufficient forces to allow us to venture into an area that I'm personally interested in (Pulp, Old West. NWF, ACW), instead of just following along with the current popular group projects (Games Workshop, Flames of War, WWI etc).

It's not just the miniatures that you need to paint, it's also all of the accompanying terrain that makes it so expensive and time-consuming. With failing eyesight and a smaller income due to age, I just can't do it anymore.

So yes I have - but it's now actually destroyed the hobby for me.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
I used to move location every 2 to 3 years so could never guarantee being able to field my army if there was no opponent doing the same period/scale.  I would buy and paint up both sides.  These days I'm in one location but get to game so little that there is no motivation to paint anything   :(
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'