Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hitting a bit of a wall, painting wise  (Read 4594 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Hitting a bit of a wall, painting wise
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
Thanks lads. Brilliant input. I appreciate it immensely.

Great....now get on with your homework...

...we expect to see one figure...doesn’t matter what...in whatever state of painting you like, by the end of the weekend.

;)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
Yep. +100 Tin Shed Gamer

I have a desk in our family room, with all my stuff next to it on and in a two drawer filing cabinet, so all my painting stuff is ready to hand. But I have also colonised the dining room with the table covered in unfinished bits of terrain. So I have been putting in a fair amount of effort on those.

At the moment I'm basically running two parallel projects, 15mm Vikings, and 28mm !745 forces for Sharp Practice from the Flags of War Kickstarter. I have all the 1745 stuff undercoated, on individual penny bases, sabots sanded and undercoated. I am just awaiting another pack of highlanders and some dragoons to complete my starter forces. Once they arrive they will be prepped and then the whole lot will see some serious brushwork.

The Vikings are being done in small batches as the mood takes me, but I find at the moment, it's easier to do the mindless stuff - railway track and some more dirt roads.

So hobby progress is happening, it just so happens I haven't actually painted a figure in a while.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
...we expect to see one figure...doesn’t matter what...in whatever state of painting you like, by the end of the weekend.

Thanks AKULA. No pressure. ::)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 02:18:35 AM »
A bunch of LAF'ers chanting "paint paint paint " really isn't pressure.  We are just cheering you on.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »
I guess that's one way to look at it.  ::)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »
Better late than never I suppose. Decided to put my 28mm stuff away for a while and have since been bitten by the 20mm moderns bug once again. Spent the week working on some "freedom fighters" for my Red Star Rising project (Red Dawn meets Twilight 2000). Figures are LibMins 20mm.

These were sat based and primed in my 20mm kit box, so saved me a bit of time. Currently just finishing up bases.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:08:35 PM by Bravo Six »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 05:02:22 PM »
Good work mate

Thanks AKULA. No pressure. ::)

Well, it wasn’t like I was going to pop round to your house with a baseball bat if you didn’t...  ;)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »
As long as you maintain social distance, I'm ok with that  ;)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 11:02:39 PM »
Hitting that wall again. Been in isolation since mid March and don't have much to show for it.  :-I Even the Sarge isn't motivating me as much these days.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2020, 02:15:45 AM »
I have been cycling between larger units (more of a speed paining look) and small groups of various genres from pulp to western. Helps keep it fresh for me.  But if the brushes are not working... watch some movies or read about your favorite time frame or genre.  Might not help the painting mojo but at least you will enjoy it.   :)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »
I'm just looking to get my painting mojo back. I have been reading, researching, project planning, priming, building small blocks of test terrain, but the painting drive is sorely lacking.

I've just packed away my micro armor stuff and am going to take your advice and focus on something different, and more "fresh". The micro armor has been on the bench for over a month now, so I think it's time.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
You have my sympathies, Todd. Over the years I have suffered from this kind of thing big time, I know what you are going through.

All I can do is rather pathetically and unhelpfully say "hang in there."  Right now I am more motivated than I've ever been, and am really enjoying my time at the paint station. Now my problem is getting back to the level I was at before my medical "event." I have physical issues rather than motivational ones. Though to be honest, I find these a lot easier to deal with. But that doesn't mean I'm suggesting that you have a medical emergency of your own to get your mojo back. Please don't do that!  :)

You could always enter the next LPL. That did wonders for me last time I tried that.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:24:27 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »
Thanks Plynkes! I'm glad to hear you're back at it. I really love your work and it's pretty inspiring. I'm sure you'll be back up to snuff in no time. It really IS like riding a bike.  ;)

But that doesn't mean I'm suggesting that you have a medical emergency of your own to get your mojo back. Please don't do that! 

I'll definitely heed your advice on that one!

I think rebooting my old forum has been rather time consuming for the past couple of months, and though that focus was more "technical" the subject matter of the forum has kept me inspired. So there's that....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:47:02 PM by Bravo Six »

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2020, 09:36:20 PM »
What size (and type) brush do you guys use for slopping on your basecoats? I use a W&N "Cottman Series" either 0 or 00 for all my brushwork. I'm assuming this is part of the reason why I'm such a slow painter.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2020, 11:58:33 PM »
What size (and type) brush do you guys use for slopping on your basecoats? I use a W&N "Cottman Series" either 0 or 00 for all my brushwork. I'm assuming this is part of the reason why I'm such a slow painter.

Ha! the last base figure was done with a size 9, ok, so the highlights were a zero.