Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689808
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Resin  (Read 1679 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Warlord Resin
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »
This may belong in General Wargames Discussion, but as the initial releases are for SPQR, I thought I'd post it here. Unless I've missed it, no-one has commented on the figures produced in Warlord's new resin. I've seen the images of German warriors on their website of course, but they reveal nothing about the quality of the material, so if anyone has seen them in person I'd be interested in comments.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
Re: Warlord Resin
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:31:04 PM »
Wow, I knew that their Judge Dredd stuff was resin but didn't realise they were doing historicals in it aswell. I'm not a fan of smaller figures in resin myself, I can cope with large creatures, vehicles and terrain but I worry too much about fine detail in resin because of it's durabilitiy and it being a lot harder to repair. Why would they be making the switch from metal I wonder?

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:53:10 PM »
I have not seen the stuff but I have been told that it is very good, holds detail well and has an excellent bend and return property and therefore very durable.

Cheers
Keith

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
I've read some complaints on the SPQR Facebook page about the new resin. The complaints seem to be that they are too bendy and paint won't stay on horses legs. The resin is hard to clean up and hide mold misalignment. I have also heard loads of people say that it is fine and with no problems. I have the free figure from the rulebook and he looks fine, but I have not gotten around to painting it yet.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
Swords and polearms, do they have issues ( bent, warped ) or isn't that an issue with Warlord resin?
Leadhead

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »
I have the promo figure and the Roman characters set, and already painted some. No real issue. Actually I fund them quite good and the new material hold detail very well. No bended things especially swords. No paint falling from horse legs.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I'm also resistant to resin miniatures of this size, but Warlord claim it has been developed for durability. I'm therefore very interested in people's experience of it. I'm sure I will give it a try at some point.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:07:57 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
@Arrigo: Thanks, sounds really good.  :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »
I never had problems with paint adherence to resin, both in wargaming and scale modelling. If you give them a good scrub with soapy water and prime them, they should be ok

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
I'm keen to hear peoples experiences - weapons in resin usually cause me concern, I've produced and commissioned a number of casts and was never quite satisfied. They looked nice but even packing them up for shipping was an extremely delicate affair, never mind cleaning them up, painting and gaming with them.

Anything that's flexible usually carries an inherent 'bend' in thin areas (like ankles, wrists and weapons) unless they are given sufficient time to cure and cool down in the mould. Unfortunately for speed in production this rarely happens, they're whipped out as soon as possible for the next pour.

Be great to be proven wrong in this instance  :)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
The weapon on the free spqr miniature I got was very bendy like pvc, too bendy to paint so I just sold the bugger lol.