Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685064
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [commercial] CLASH of Spears coming Nov 13th  (Read 12360 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
[commercial] CLASH of Spears coming Nov 13th
« on: November 07, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »
So taking CLASH of Spear to fruition has been a long journey. My brother and I have been wargaming since the 80s but had never ventured into the business/publishing side of the hobby beyond maybe a LGX back in the day in Argentina.

CLASH started after we decided that it would be nice to get to play ancients in 28s, something we used to do back in Argentina but we had not done in the US due to space and budget, and so we thought about coming up with a set of rules for small actions in ancients. It was July of 2018 and nothing was there in the horizon so it seemed like a good idea.

Being thorough as we are we took our time in development and internal playtesting before even extending it to the big group of playtesters that we were able to recruit around the world. This meant that in the meantime other alternatives came out, yet we decided not to give up as we believe CLASH offers a perspective different enough worth taking to print.

The process of going to print was not easy, with every step we would make mistakes and learn, but given a strong online wargaming community support we persevered and the game grew. It grew to the point that we reached an alliance with Victrix to release army boxes specially thought out for the rules... This took the project to another level..

Well, now we are here, everything is ready, as you can imagine this is a true stat up and as a true start up we ended up in the path of Kickstarter, which we were reluctant at first but in the end proved to be the best path forward.

Yet, this will be a short kickstarter because we have already done all our homework and prework, and we are ready to push the button. Boxes and materials are ready to print, the book has already been test printed so nothing needs to be done... just select # of copies and push print :)
We just need to understand the size of the investment that we need to do and this will allow us to get better pricing as we are trying to position the rules to sell. We do want to make money but we see it more as Wargame than as a product, so our main objective is to convince as many people to try the rules..
( In KS the book will be U$ 29, and later in retail it will go for U$ 34 )

This is why the kickstarter will run through Nov-Dec but shipping will start in January. The kickstarter itself will be very simple, there will not be lots of add-ons, there will be some stretchgoals but everything will be aimed at simplicity to insure that we can ship in January. So it will be more of a targeted kickstarter and fast turn around. We want to see battle reports by the end of Jan and start of August !

With that, we hope that you will give us a hand by joining us, we open next Wednesday Nov 13th at 10:30 AM ( US Eastern time )...  As I mentioned it will be a very straight forwad KS, get the book, or the book and minis only... and it will ship in January...  we will have some early bird options which will basically be slightly better pricing but the whole KS will be at a discount to what will later be retail pricing. Retail will follow quickly after, hopefully in Feb or March, depending the size of the KS effort, since we will not get to retail before we finish sending the KS, but be sure that we will get to retail, we like LGS gaming.

So, that is it.. give us a try, we hope that you'll enjoy the rules...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clashofspears/clash-of-spears

hopefully you've been following along but if not you can find more info here:
http://www.thewargamespot.com/category/clashofspears/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:11:26 PM by seldon »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: [commercial] CLASH of Spears coming Nov 13th
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
One question please.
On the kickstarter you will probably have the book to pre-order. When ordering just the book will it be send from the USA or do you already have a distributor in UK/EU for those ordering inside EU ?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:43:20 AM »
Happy to say that we have EU distributor, we will ship fro EU and from US, and get the early bird to get a great shipping rate !

We want people to get the book more than anything..

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
It's launched!

http://kck.st/2KkiMA2

Get that early bird if you want to save on shipping. :)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
Just backed the early bird. Thanks to the lower price and free shipping, I might even be able to pay for this one, which will make a nice change.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »
Backed too. Only the book, though. I have more than enough Victrix models!  lol

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention I'm only a tribune. Any proconsuls out there?

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »
Backed for the book. :)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:06:35 PM »
By the way, the KS has been funded already, and the first stretch goal has been reached (not updated yet, though). Not bad for an Ancients skirmish ruleset!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:00 PM »
The minis are there because Victrix is great and we want to get new players into ancients.. we need to expand the hobby..

But we are very happy with getting book pledges, that is why we did that early bird with the shipping... we truly want to get the book out there...

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
Can appreciate the time and effort that has been put into this project...now happy to be onboard
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Bogus_law

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »
I'm humble Tribune, but I'm very happy watching how good the KickStarter is going.
CLASH will make Ancient Wargaming Great!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 03:53:22 AM »
Much respect for tribunes...

Getting the book to people was always the main objective...

people buying minis are probably jumping into a new scale a nd period... that is great..

people buying the book are ancient wargamers giving CLASH a chance... that is also great...

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »
Backed.  My first Kickstarter.  Only a Tribune as I don't like Romans (scum of the earth) and will go metal rather than plastic.  As my painting is slow I will use Vikings and Saxons as stand ins until I get some Greeks done.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
Can I ask, how different is this to say, Saga, Dux Brittaniarum, Lion Rampant etc? In terms of how it plays?