Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:35:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 636
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 619
Total: 627

Recent

Author Topic: [commercial] CLASH of Spears coming Nov 13th  (Read 12400 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: [commercial] CLASH of Spears coming Nov 13th
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »
Good luck with the KS project in reaching your goals. Moving forward with rule sets and ideas etc are fundamental to the hobby.

I'm going to bow out as I'm not really all that into buying any more rule sets for skirmish games; that's not to say I don't enjoy playing such games. I do. At the moment my energies are targeted in another direction :)

Edited. I sounded a little blunt shortly after getting out of bed!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:15:40 AM by Atheling »

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 01:04:38 PM »
We don’t have an option for pdf yet.
We hope to get a pdf version ready and offer it for sale but doubt that it will be on time to show up as a pledge during the KS.

However we will start shipping the KS in Jan and hope to finish by Feb and at that point we will open up the online store and very likely the pdf option will be available, so you just need to wait a bit longer if that is ok.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
Good luck with the KS project in reaching your goals. Moving forward with rule sets and ideas etc are fundamental to the hobby.

I'm going to bow out as I'm not really all that into buying any more rule sets for skirmish games; that's not to say I don't enjoy playing such games. I do. At the moment my energies are targeted in another direction :)

Edited. I sounded a little blunt shortly after getting out of bed!

Not a problem, if you catch the bug later we will still be here :) our sales and distribution plans for next year are already in the works..

cheers
Francisco

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »
Proud Proquaestor here... My first foray into ancients... I have some romans unbuilt already, but none of the other classics... anxious to try out a new system. Congrats on the success so far.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
thank you very much...

we truly want to get new people into ancients... the books has some good background on the period but we plan to provide a list of good reading material.. not to torture people of the shape of this or that shield or the color of this or that mediterranean skin but for people to learn and appreciate how rich and fantastic this period is...

A good example of this is how you will find that the lists for what is commonly treated as secondary players are actually detailed as much as those of romans and carthaginians...

looking forward to people getting their stuff in January so we can start developing the community...

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:22 PM »
Ok, we are getting to the end of the KS campaign which closes this upcoming week..

Right after that we'll get the surveys out and maybe a couple of weeks later start shipping... the miniatures are already in the stocking locations and the books are on the way...

There are still a few first wave deals left...  ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clashofspears/clash-of-spears/ )

But also we have some non KS related news. 4Ground will be making a line of Magna Grecia/Carthage buildings for CLASH of Spears this upcoming year 2020..

have a look

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:08:15 PM by seldon »

Offline commander bernhardt

• Assistant
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »
Quick question: where Will the warband boxes be available in retail?

Offline eldurand

• Lurker
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »
In the final hours now. I pledged for two books and four warband boxes since this is my first foray into ancients.

I played my first game this weekend and enjoyed it tremendously. Details can be found here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2748949228500432&id=1184203218308382

I'm already painting up my first unit and designing appropriate terrain to start building!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 04:52:26 AM »
Quick question: where Will the warband boxes be available in retail?

we have arrangements with retail distributors in US and Europe so they will be available around March after all the KS pledges  are fulfilled... We will support retail business well since many players need their LFGS to get together...We will also sell online direct for those that don’t have stores close by and again fulfillment will be from locations in US and Europe.

The KS has exceeded expectations. We just added the options for greeks, iberians, and italians.. though those will ship a bit later..

Francisco

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 04:53:33 AM »
In the final hours now. I pledged for two books and four warband boxes since this is my first foray into ancients.

I played my first game this weekend and enjoyed it tremendously. Details can be found here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2748949228500432&id=1184203218308382

I'm already painting up my first unit and designing appropriate terrain to start building!

Awesome... thank you very much !

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »
Hi,
I'm a backer level II of this kickstarter and I've just received the pdf of the game. Not read yet, but since I criticized the use of sarissae in SPQR as absurd in a small skirmish scale engagement I was very happy reading this:
http://www.thewargamespot.com/introducing-clash-of-spears/

"We wanted the mechanics to provide interesting tactical options but they had to be anchored on small actions, we didn’t want to extrapolate large battle rules to a “pretend is skirmish game”. So for example, in our game you would not have manipular rules, or macedonian pike phalanx etc."

But now I see.... :'(

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
I am also a lvl II backer. I skimmed through the pdf and I like what I see.
For me it's a plus that we can cuse use pikes and such. The more different units / equipment the better.

I can't wait to see supplements for Late Saxons, Normans, Early HYW and etc... . :-D

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »
As said, not read yet, but in the presentation of the game they were clear in sustaining historical accuracy. Allowing the use of pikes in a warbandish ancient game is transforming "a large battle in a pretend skirmish game" unless you want to play fantasy/history.
Not expert people make the equation macedonian=pikes, but pikes could be used only in large battles and even in this case with an adapt terrain (I. e. Mostly plain). Otherwise a knife would have been more effective than a pike, and the only possible result would have been rout /death... A commander employing pikemen in a small and fast action would have been totally fool.
And actually there is the possibility to give javelins to pezethairoi, but I'm quite sure that most of the people will use pikes...
I'll read the book, and maybe I won't find other historical mistakes and the game will be super fun and simply I won't use sarissae... We will see....

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.historyhit.com/legion-vs-phalanx/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjGmMr2-sbmAhUuMewKHYF-BrwQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw20DYpGzxO1PXCOGb-v1UL1

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:abo:tlg,0543,001:18:32
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:43:49 AM by D. Brownie »

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2019, 01:52:07 AM »
Ouch, that is harsh  :)

Your point is well taken but, we have the pikes because not having them would be incomplete and people could complain saying that they need it for this or that scenario.

We also have elephants, because people want to have rules for them, also a suboptimal choice.

In the rules you will see that

1) they are not really an optimal option, as soon as your troops go in open order they need to default to hand weapons.

2) the foot companions can be purchased with pikes but can be converted to arming them with javelins in the list... a more practical option.

As mentioned in the rules they are there because it could happen that you need them for a themed scenario or simply because you love the figures...

They are just not an optimal choice for skrimishes as you will see if you take them..
Having to default to hand weapons all the time ( as most of the time you go into open order ) means that you are paying for something that you don’t use.

Also note that the reference to the phalanx is regarding the training, note that you don’t get any kind of rank bonuses or stuff like that... you don’t have a phalanx in clash, have just a small group of guys.. so you will notice that their use is very limited... Arming them with javelins are a better choice and  in pick up games I expect people will default to that option. My Pyrrhic force has them armed with javelins...

Like you said someone bringing a force with pike troops to a skirmish will suffer... we just give them the option and as soon as you play you’ll see that you can convey that easily when you play ;)

hope that makes sense, you will see that that they don’t play at all as a large pike phalanx and that you are better having maybe an extra unit of light cav or peltasts

our design philosophy leans towards giving the options yet making them suboptimal rather than banning... it makes for a more comprehensive design.

thank you very much for backing us, we are very appreciative and truly hope that you will give the rules a chance... I still think that you will like them...

Francisco
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:06:18 AM by seldon »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2019, 06:14:30 AM »
As Francisco has explained some choices are less than optimal, even if you can select them from the lists. At least, that has been my experience with the playtesting my son and I did. In one of our earlier games, he fielded an Anglo-Saxon force strong in huscarls. He was on the defensive, so both thought it made sense: a local lord that takes his professional warriors to deal with a Viking raid. Problem was that he equiped them with the full panoply... and that made them very slow; or to be more accurate: they couldn't move too much or else they got fatigued fast. My lightly armed Vikings were able to swarm his fyrd before the huscarls were able to intervene, and when they did, they fatigued so fast that I could run circles around them and defeat them. Next game he fielded just one small unit of full armed huscarls to act as anchor, and the rest of his force was lightly armed; his slingers proved to be devastating against my raiders, by the way!